• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Albuterol (inhaler)

When we were trying random things at the onset of my fatigue presenting primary as exercise intolerance, two things made a difference: adderall and an albuterol inhaler. I don't know what the albuterol inhaler does, but it made a big difference in exercise intolerance when I tried it.

I don't have asthma. Yet, the more puffs of the albuterol I took, the better I felt during exercise. I tested it up to the max safe dose of 6 puffs.

I don't think it is acting is a stimulant. Albuterol was removed from the WADA banned substance list because it after years of debate, it is no longer thought to improve athletic performance.

@jm.
It opens up your airways.

I have emphysema, and have the same thing under a different trade name. It is what is called a ‘rescue’ inhaler. I was advised to use it 10 minutes or so before needed, say before exercise, and really only when needed. The usual dose is 2 puffs taken up to 4 times a day.

I try not to use it. I also have a ‘preventative’ inhaler that is used once daily.

Last edited:

rodgergrummidge

When we were trying random things at the onset of my fatigue presenting primary as exercise intolerance, two things made a difference: adderall and an albuterol inhaler. I don't know what the albuterol inhaler does, but it made a big difference in exercise intolerance when I tried it.

I don't have asthma. Yet, the more puffs of the albuterol I took, the better I felt during exercise. I tested it up to the max safe dose of 6 puffs.

I don't think it is acting is a stimulant. Albuterol was removed from the WADA banned substance list because it after years of debate, it is no longer thought to improve athletic performance.
Salbutamol, also known as albuterol and marketed as Ventolin is used for asthma. However, it is a WADA controlled substance. Chris Froome (4x winner of the yellow jersey in the Tour de France), was found to have 2000ng/ml of salbutamol in his urine in an an anti-doping test in the 2017 Vuelta a España. It was double the permitted level.

As yet, he hasnt been banned, but such levels of salbutamol have led to bans in other athletes.

In short, Salbutamol may work as a performance enhancer in some situations.

Rodger

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
Albuterol was removed from the WADA banned substance list because it after years of debate, it is no longer thought to improve athletic performance.

Taking albuterol might not get any of us onto the podium at the Olympics, but I'm pretty sure it is a stimulant. My brother has asthma and took it for years--I remember one time he took an extra puff close to bedtime and spent most of the night pacing in his room trying to make himself tired enough to go to sleep!

I'm glad you felt better during exercise--but did you crash afterward or did you feel okay? I had to stop taking stimulants even though they helped me to be more active because I had to pay a steep price in PEM afterward.

I'm glad you felt better during exercise--but did you crash afterward or did you feel okay?

I really haven't used it in months. And the exercise intolerance has gotten worse since then. So I really don't remember if I crashed afterward. My leg muscles were sore afterward like they had been for months during the onset of the problems. I would run five miles once a week and be sore. (I use to run 94 miles a week without getting sore). so it was just bizarre to me.

I somehow made it through a trade show and training in Germany without crashing too bad in November. But without Adderall, I could never have gone running there.

Pink

I have asthma, and I also get breathless from exhaustion. If I use the albuterol for exhaustion breathlessness, it does nothing for me.