• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rifaximin without probiotics?

De meirleir prescribed me 15 days of rifaximin for 3 months
15 days of probiotics (bio kult) after the rifaximin

I only have 30% energy and when i take a little bit of probotics like vsl3 or kefir
I get extremely tired for days.
I don't want to go through that ever again.

Can you take rifaximin and just skip the probiotic misery?
Eat fermented vegetable like kimchi or goats yoghurt in between?

Hip

De meirleir prescribed me 15 days of rifaximin for 3 months

Are you taking this antibiotic for 15 days or 3 months, it is not clear from what you said?

I only have 30% energy and when i take a little bit of probotics like vsl3 or kefir
I get extremely tired for days.
I don't want to go through that ever again.

Some ME/CFS patient do respond badly to probiotics, so you may be one of those. Are you OK with live yogurt, which contains probiotic bacteria?

When antibiotics are prescribed by doctors, as far as I am aware, they don't usually prescribe probiotics afterwards.

I mean 15 days rifaximin and then 15 days probiotica
Repeat that 3 times so 3 months total.

Never tried live yoghurt. All the good bacteria will probably die i read somewhere.
I think if i tolerate that. It's also not really very benificial for my gut.
Might as well take yoghurt.

Someone said that maybe after the rifaximin i can tolerate probiotics better.

Update:
Tried rifaximin and had to stop the next day.
Couldn't get to sleep and felt very sick for 5 days.
My body is too sensitive for antibiotics.

So 45 pills left for sale. If someone wants to try let me know.

jason30

That's probably a die-off reaction, also called a Herxheimer reaction. You could try it with a reduced dose?

My problem is that i have severe adrenal fatique or severe burnout from years of stress from working too hard and drinking too much coffee. The worse i felt the more i went exersising or taking sauna's or hotyoga That would make made me drink more coffee or sugarydrinks.
So now i can't tolerate anything that stimulates a little bit of adrenaline or my nervoussystem. 2 min of cold weather on my body and i crash for 2 days. 10 min sauna and i crash for 1 month.
15 min walking and i have PEM for 1 week. So i took 2 tablets of rifaximin Next day 1 tablet. I felt very overstimulated. Couldn't get to sleep. Crashed big time and had a headache for 1,5 week. I understand what herx is. But if i didn't take it i propably had a much better 2 weeks. The best thing for me is to stop any supplement or medicine. Next thing could be antibiotic herbs. But i don't care anymore about Sibo l. Rest, pacing, good diet and lifestyle and preventing crashes is all i'm going to do this year.

Last edited:

nanonug

So i took 2 tablets of rifaximin Next day 1 tablet.

What dosage each tablet? To my knowledge, there are 3 possible dosages per tablet.

I felt very overstimulated.

This is unusual as rifaximin is a non-systemic antibiotic - barely any enters circulation. As @jason30 says, Herxheimer reaction is a possibility but that is not necessarily a bad thing, it just means the buggers are dying - which is what you want. It is also possible that you had some other bad reaction to rifaximin. In any case I'd talk to the doctor and see what he has to say.

Thanks for you're advice. It was the lowest dose 200 mg tablet.
I'm not even sure i have sibo.
I posted my results from the stooltest here and other people commented that it looked pretty good.
Better then people who took antibiotics or antibiotic herbs.