• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin D reaction

Misfit Toy

I am noticing when I take vitamin D, I feel keyed up and start itching. Does anyone else have this? I chose a brand with olive oil as the main ingredient. Not sure if it's the brand or the vitamin D.

Cheesus

What dose are you taking? I have noticed that it can keep me up at night if i take it late in the day. If I take it early though I don't notice anything.

Gingergrrl

I am noticing when I take vitamin D, I feel keyed up and start itching. Does anyone else have this? I chose a brand with olive oil as the main ingredient. Not sure if it's the brand or the vitamin D.

What dose of Vit D are you taking? I have never had any problems with Vit D and also take one with an olive oil base and no other additives in it.

I take 5000 IU's per day just to maintain a level of barely 30. My Endo and main doctor both wanted me to increase it back to 10,000 IU's per day and I just realized that I totally forgot to do it! The higher dose usually brings me up to 60. When I stop taking Vit D (which I haven't since 2013), my level drops to around 4 or becomes undetectable.

Edit: Cross posted with Cheesus

Misfit Toy

Hey @Cheesus and @Gingergrrl - firstly, Ginger I will look at your thread about your mom. I am sorry, I am just so out of whack. I know you have a lot of support. I feel awful that I have not kept up.

The dose is 5,000 but I think it may be the ingredients. It has glycerin in it. I had a problem with glycerin before.

It was like $9 so I bought it, but I just ordered Pure Encapsulations with no added ingredients and I only bought 1,000 iu. I know that's small but maybe to start off like that. I never had a problem with it before, I just never used this cheap brand I bought.

I am itching so I know it's the vitamin D. My never ending weird body. :(

I took kavinace last night with no issue so I am happy about that at least! Supposed to calm you and give you gaba. Oh, and I finally took a shower. I bathe everyday but it's been almost a week since washing my hair because I am crazy right now.

Shoshana

Northern USA
I often need to try different brands of any vitamins, till I find one I can tolerate. It is worth doing, when you really need them, such as the vitamin d, which I do.

I had digestive distress from some of the vit d's I have tried, not what you described, but you made a good decision to try a better brand!

Gingergrrl

@Misfit Toy I wanted to tell you that the brand of Vitamin D that I take is called "Doctor's Best" and it is 5000 IU's per pill and it is pure Vit D3 in olive oil in a gelatin capsule (but I think the capsule does have glycerin so I am wondering if it is the same one that you already tried)? This seems to be the brand best tolerated by MCAS patients (but at the same time, that is so variable, it's just finding one that works for you)!

Misfit Toy

This seems to be the brand best tolerated by MCAS patients (but at the same time, that is so variable, it's just finding one that works for you)!

I don't even know what it's called. I am so sick Ginger. Today I am not taking anything to see what happens. Just my normal stuff. I know the D caused itching.

I am hoping my body just settles down and by not taking anything...maybe it will. TY!!

Misfit Toy

What brand is the Vit D?

I can't remember. I am on Pure Encapsulations right now and doing better although not on enough. All I know is I can't have glycerine for whatever reason.

Thorne is a great product. I have used their stuff a lot.