• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POTS mediated by hypertension?

Lipac

Anyone know if high blood pressure alleviates POTS?

I had it seriously as a child , teen and in my 20s.

I'm 60, and noticed this stopped happening in my 40s. I attributed it to moderate weight gain.

Anyway- my point:

I just sent my raw DNA data to a medical company.
I was SURPRISED to find I'm homozygous for a gene that elevates ACE- the enzyme that raises blood pressure in shock, blood loss, etc.

I don't have high blood pressure ( if I ever do, ACE inhibitors will work)

I'm wondering if elevated ACE is why I don't have POTS?

I don't really know the answer, but I can say I have hyperPOTS, which means my blood pressure AND heart rate go up when standing. I can have normal b/p sitting or lying, but on my TTT, my b/p goes up to 180/110 and hr of 114.

I'm curious about the gene...is it literally the ACE gene?

I was thinking also about you having POTS early on, and not now. I had low-normal b/p my whole life, usually around 90/60. I was "normal" at that time, tons of energy. I hit perimenopause and POTS developed around age 45. So, I'm not sure if fluctuating/decreasing hormones contributed or if I just developed an autoimmune-type POTS. Anyway, you mentioned gaining weight. I know there is a rare presentation of POTS that stems from things related to weight, like Nutcracker Syndrome. Apparently if the ones that have it gain weight, it picks the kidney up(or something like that) causing better blood flow and then they seem better.

Lipac

I don't really know the answer, but I can say I have hyperPOTS, which means my blood pressure AND heart rate go up when standing. I can have normal b/p sitting or lying, but on my TTT, my b/p goes up to 180/110 and hr of 114.

I'm curious about the gene...is it literally the ACE gene?
Yes. Elevates ACE without any thing that normally triggers ACE, like hemorrhage.

Learner1

High blood pressure makes my POTS worse. I think its called hyperadrenergic POTS. Make a my head feel like its going to explode, as well as being dizzy, and collapsing....

Lipac

High blood pressure makes my POTS worse. I think its called hyperadrenergic POTS. Make a my head feel like its going to explode, as well as being dizzy, and collapsing....
I don't have too much cortisol or adrenaline. Sometimes Pseudoephedrine helps. I get very dizzy but it's true vertigo.
I've tried to relate my symptoms to something I did or ate. I can't.

I'm really too exhausted at 60 after 20 years researching stuff to do much more- and Im out if money.

If I was 40 NOW and just getting sick, with the $$ I wasted on Labs, treatments and clinics, I'd go off where they are doing CFS Research- based diagnosis and treatment.

I can't help feeling it's too late for me.
I watch movies, try to eat enough. That's about it.
Am going to try a Pain Clinic that does injections- that is months away. Insurance doesn't cover restorative joint injections- just drugs.
I swear I'd get a better Dr in Mexico.