• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

D lactic acidosis and me/cfs have similarities

Runner5

I know you want to delete this, but I hadn't seen it before so thank you for posting.

Just wondering though, it looks like from this report a low-carbohydrate diet would help symptoms. I'm sure people here have tried that, just curious, if you've gone low carb --- did it help, hurt? What happened?

jpcv

I know you want to delete this, but I hadn't seen it before so thank you for posting.

Just wondering though, it looks like from this report a low-carbohydrate diet would help symptoms. I'm sure people here have tried that, just curious, if you've gone low carb --- did it help, hurt? What happened?
Low carb diet helped me, mostly my gut problems , but it didn´t help me a lot regarding other ME/CFS symptoms

Hi

I tried for one year to do gluten free and sugar free diet...not yet knowing anything about this lactic accumulation in the body and blood.
I felt a bit more energy, less GI problems, less pain. After one year i crashed anyways. Looking back it had to do with my work. This took too much energy, after 11 years being ill and fulltime working it destroyed my health.
Now I started with sugar free diet and less carbohydrates. But is difficult because I depend on others to cook for me. I am housebound.

Avenger

Hi, I was diagnosed with CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia for many years.

I have now been properly diagnosed with D-Lactic Acidosis (without short bowel syndrome).

You are totally correct about mitochondrial function, dysbiosis, gut dysfunction and neurological abnormalities.

I respond temporarily to antibiotics only for symptoms to return.

Anyone with CFS ME can trial 0% Carbohydrate and Sugar diet. even small ammounts of Carbs and Sugars will convert to D-Lactic acid in those affected. 64 hours would show improvement, but a few weeks will show if your symptoms are due to D-Lactic Acidosis. Please read the abstract below.

Increased D-Lactic Acid Intestinal Bacteria in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  1. JOHN R. SHEEDY1,
  2. RICHARD E.H. WETTENHALL1,
  3. DENIS SCANLON2,
  4. PAUL R. GOOLEY1,
  5. DONALD P. LEWIS3,
  6. NEIL MCGREGOR4,
  7. DAVID I. STAPLETON1,
  8. HENRY L. BUTT5 and
  9. KENNY L. DE MEIRLEIR6
+Author Affiliations

1. Kenny.De.Meirleir@vub.ac.be

Next Section
Abstract
Patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) are affected by symptoms of cognitive dysfunction and neurological impairment, the cause of which has yet to be elucidated. However, these symptoms are strikingly similar to those of patients presented with D-lactic acidosis. A significant increase of Gram positive facultative anaerobic faecal microorganisms in 108 CFS patients as compared to 177 control subjects (p<0.01) is presented in this report. The viable count of D-lactic acid producing Enterococcus and Streptococcus spp. in the faecal samples from the CFS group (3.5×107 cfu/L and 9.8×107 cfu/L respectively) were significantly higher than those for the control group (5.0×106 cfu/L and 8.9×104cfu/L respectively). Analysis of exometabolic profiles of Enterococcus faecalis and Streptococcus sanguinis, representatives of Enterococcus and Streptococcus spp. respectively, by NMR and HPLC showed that these organisms produced significantly more lactic acid (p<0.01) from 13C-labeled glucose, than the Gram negative Escherichia coli. Further, both E. faecalis and S. sanguinis secrete more D-lactic acid than E. coli. This study suggests a probable link between intestinal colonization of Gram positive facultative anaerobic D-lactic acid bacteria and symptom expressions in a subgroup of patients with CFS. Given the fact that this might explain not only neurocognitive dysfunction in CFS patients but also mitochondrial dysfunction, these findings may have important clinical implications.