• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Recommendations for Purest Supplements

Navid

Hi:

I just had a very thorough appt with my Dr. He is recommending several supplements/vitamins. I have suspected MCAS and need to find things as pure as possible (least amount of fillers/additives) The help of the board is greatly appreciated:

Transdermal preferred when available:
Magnesium Oxide
B12
Folate
Vit D3
Neuroprotek

Liquid or nasal are next in terms of preference.

Thanks for your help/advice.
@Learner1 @Hip @Sushi (thought you guys might be able to help) : )

Last edited:

Learner1

I have MCAS as well and have to be careful.

Transdermal isn't very useful in getting the doses I need into me. I use oral, injectible, and IV nutrients. My doctor has suggested taking supplements with digestive enzymes to increase absorption.

For injectible high potency B complex and MB12 and HB12, I use a compounding pharmacy in Oregon, which carries corn-free versions. PM me if you want info.

For oral, Thorne Research has extremely stringent standards for ingredients. I know someone who is very familiar with their ingredient delivery and testing and manufacturing, and it is the best. I've also looked into and trust Seeking Health and Designs for Health.

For every other supplement from every other company, I quiz them specifically about what their standards are. I've found I have to be wary of Allergy Research/Nutricology - they do have allergen-free products, but you have to be sure you're actually getting one and not from their non-allergy friendly line. I also use some products from Pure Encapsulations, Vital Nutrients, Xymogen, Life Extension, AMARC, and Jarrow.

I'm a bit confused by your hunt for magnesium oxide, which isn't very bioavailable. Magnesium malate or glycinate are preferable.

I believe Neuroprotek is a product name. You can get the ingredients separately elsewhere, from some of the brands mentioned above.

Best of luck to you... It takes some detective work alright...:nerd:

Tammy

Vit.D............Pure Encapsulations
B12...........Global Healing liquid B12
Magnesium.........I agree with Learner1............I would go with Magnesium Glycinate.....Pure Encapsulations
Thorne Mthfr

Ema

I agree with Thorne and Pure Encapsulations as well.

Bulk Supplements is also good for powders. They have many different things including herbs and aminos.

Navid

Thanks to all. Super duper helpful!!! I asked abt magnesium oxide cause that is what Dr. recommended when I asked what type of magnesium....since you guys have more experience with treatment of MCAS and "brands" to best use. I will follow your advice and look at a diff. Mag. I just didn't want to use Mag/sulfate. My Dr had lots of good insight and ideas but I was surprised he doesnt have a list of brands that he knows to be pure and that he recommends to his many MCAS patients. I know we have to take a lot on in our illness but it's tough doing a lot of detective work to find the cleanest brand when there are so many choices out there.

Glad you guys were mostly recommending the same things.

I did find a product line b12oil.com but the shipping charges from Aus to USA were insane $25 on a $50 product. The ad/methyl b12 they had however contains D3, curcumin and THC. Alot of things I'd like to take...with no other ingredients. But I can't stomach paying 25$ to ship one tiny little tube of medicine.

One question do the products you guys recommended contain stearates. I can look up tomorrow, but if u know off the top of your head, let me know.

Thanks for all the great advice!!!!

Learner1

There are many types of magnesium supplements, and the ones most likely to cause diarrhea are magnesium carbonate, magnesium gluconate, magnesium oxide and magnesium chloride.

Most magnesium supplements on the market are contaminated with arsenic..ask the vemdor for proof theirs doesn't. Thorne, Seeking Health and Designs for Health aren't

Magnesium sulfate is not typically available orally, just IV.

This link helps explains the difference on magnesium supplements:

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/blog/chelsea/magnesium-types-compared

I looked at the B12 oil. Too expensive and not potent enough for my needs.

keenly

Hi:

I just had a very thorough appt with my Dr. He is recommending several supplements/vitamins. I have suspected MCAS and need to find things as pure as possible (least amount of fillers/additives) The help of the board is greatly appreciated:

Transdermal preferred when available:
Magnesium Oxide
B12
Folate
Vit D3
Neuroprotek

Liquid or nasal are next in terms of preference.

Thanks for your help/advice.
@Learner1 @Hip @Sushi (thought you guys might be able to help) : )
You want manufacturers who actually test their raw ingredients for heavy metals and contaminants.

Thorne are great

See the Health rangers site. He has tested lots for purity. https://www.healthrangerstore.com/collections/all?sort_by=best-selling

Oxides are useless btw.