• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potassium causing stomach pain

I dont know if anyone has experienced this but this is what I did.I took potassium chloride , put it in capsules and swallowed four of them thinking it was a good way to supplement potassium.I soon got a stomach pain and now I have it for 6 days.It comes and goes and it certainly is weaker and less frequent than the first time but it still hurts sometimes.Why did this happen?Will it go away or could I have permanent damage in my stomach/intestines and need to see a doctor?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Why did this happen?

Potassium chloride can cause tissue damage, especially at high doses. It's the reason that potassium supplements are usually limited to 99mg. There is usually the instruction to consume it with a lot of liquid or food to help dilute the potassium.

Potassium gluconate is a better option because it's gentler on the stomach. I used to take potassium gluconate powder (mixed with liquid) and didn't have any stomach problems.

Will it go away or could I have permanent damage in my stomach/intestines and need to see a doctor?

You probably did some damage that is slowly healing but a visit to the doctor would be a good idea in case you are at risk of complications from any damage to your stomach lining.

According to Erica Verrillo's CFS Treatment Guide 2e: "Glutamine can help heal injured gut mucosa after surgery and, in a high percentage (92%) of patients, completely heals ulcer damage." If your doctor has any familiarity with this ability of glutamine then s/he might be in favor of using it to help your stomach heal.

Potassium chloride can cause tissue damage, especially at high doses. It's the reason that potassium supplements are usually limited to 99mg. There is usually the instruction to consume it with a lot of liquid or food to help dilute the potassium.

Potassium gluconate is a better option because it's gentler on the stomach. I used to take potassium gluconate powder (mixed with liquid) and didn't have any stomach problems.

You probably did some damage that is slowly healing but a visit to the doctor would be a good idea in case you are at risk of complications from any damage to your stomach lining.

According to Erica Verrillo's CFS Treatment Guide 2e: "Glutamine can help heal injured gut mucosa after surgery and, in a high percentage (92%) of patients, completely heals ulcer damage." If your doctor has any familiarity with this ability of glutamine then s/he might be in favor of using it to help your stomach heal.

Thanks for answering.I already have a box now foods l-glutamine powder.Do you know how much to take and when?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I checked a couple of instructions on bottles:
* Jarrow 1000mg tablets - "Take 1 tablet, 1 or 2 times per day, preferably on an empty stomach, or as directed by your qualified health care consultant." "L-Glutamine is also a major source of fuel for enterocytes (intestinal cells) and hence supports the integrity of the intestinal lining."
* Vitacost 1000mg - "As a dietary supplement, take 1 capsule 1-3 times daily, preferably between meals."
* Source Naturals 500mg - "1 capsule daily, or as recommended by your health care professional."

That's quite a range from 500mg/day to 3000mg/day.

This blog about dealing with leaky gut talks about doses of up to 40g/day (working up by 10g per day to avoid stomach upset), and explains the reasoning behind that dose. It also mentions sipping the mixture throughout the day.

I can't recommend a dose but maybe the above blog post will give you enough information to make a decision.

I checked a couple of instructions on bottles:
* Jarrow 1000mg tablets - "Take 1 tablet, 1 or 2 times per day, preferably on an empty stomach, or as directed by your qualified health care consultant." "L-Glutamine is also a major source of fuel for enterocytes (intestinal cells) and hence supports the integrity of the intestinal lining."
* Vitacost 1000mg - "As a dietary supplement, take 1 capsule 1-3 times daily, preferably between meals."
* Source Naturals 500mg - "1 capsule daily, or as recommended by your health care professional."

That's quite a range from 500mg/day to 3000mg/day.

This blog about dealing with leaky gut talks about doses of up to 40g/day (working up by 10g per day to avoid stomach upset), and explains the reasoning behind that dose. It also mentions sipping the mixture throughout the day.

I can't recommend a dose but maybe the above blog post will give you enough information to make a decision.
Thank you ,after doing 3 doses of l-glutamine , pain has subsided and is much less intense.I will report back in two weeks.