• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone tried Ritalin?

I haven't tried ritalin but I occasionally use modafinil. I appreciate that these work in different ways, as far as I know, but I presume the effect you're wishing to promote information on is the fatigue masking.

Apologies if this is irrelevant but I can only talk about the latter, to wit, I find that modafinil works very well on the whole giving me a boost in energy levels and sharpening up my mental state to a degree that makes me feel 'normal' to very good indeed.
I am, however, judicious in its use because firstly I sometimes experience headaches and secondly I don't want to end up over exerting leading to a crash as well as not wanting to get too reliant on a given drug which I can't guarantee the supply of. Here in the UK my doctor was very firm in advising me not to take it and I know they don't prescribe it for ME.
I'd describe myself as mild to moderate on the fatigue scale anyway so I usually manage my work ok no matter where I'm at in the cycle of peaks and troughs.

cb2

I take about 5mg around noon , it usually helps me to get something done, like the dishes or get some things organized. I can't say it has lead me into a "crash" i still work on pacing. It does seem to help with mood until it starts to wear off then i feel a bit down. I have noticed I dont seem to need as much sleep meds at nite while using the ritalin unless i have coffee.

I tried provigil, and nuvigil I liked them for a while, then i started feeling really "out of it and tired" after taking them, i am not sure why that is? I mentioned to one of my dr's and he said "well try taking the whole tablet" Ok I tired and i had the same tired effect (that was the nuvigil ) maybe i should try it with the "provigil" ? sorry for getting off topic a bit.

I got the PA last year at stanford to do an Rx for ritalin, as they were on of the providers to partake in the synergy trial. I do take the kpax vits when i take the ritalin, not sure that makes any difference or not.
that PA is no longer at stanford, and I saw the new dr there. I asked him about an Rx for the ritalin, and he said wait 2 weeks (because we are trying to increase the antivirials) and check back in.. i think the "ritalin is doping"

ok so i am doping to get my dishes done, and to be able to grocery shop and prepare food ( on good days) oh and to get through that dang junk mail.

HowToEscape?

1. It works
2. It’s some powerful schizz
3. You may have a powerful crash afterwards

Very small amounts may prove beneficial, possibly allowing one to do essential life functions one would otherwise fail; just the right amount at just the right time almost magically clears brain fog and tiredness.

My opinion is that using a standard dosage on us amounts to whipping a tired horse. You can run a horse until it dies.

Last edited:
I have POTS and NMH in addition to CFS and I noticed that Peter Rowe recommended Ritalin as an option to consider. I have been taking the time-release version called Concerta because that's what my doctor prefers to use. I take it mostly to improve cognitive function (memory and concentration), but it also is supposed to improve vasoconstriction. It has helped me more than any other drug I have taken, but I get the sense that everyone is a little different and you really should try a lot of different options to find what works best for you.

cb2

maybe i should get a different multi-vit then one that is less expensive. : ) I do have hopes that it might work, the kpax and ritalin combo. I have heard some folks felt better with it.

me/cfs 27931

I don't think this blurb at the end of an article needs a new thread, so I'll just tack it on here. Another mention of ADHD medications for "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome".
American Journal of Managed Care said:
An observational case study by Young et al suggested this when they found that ADHD patients with unexplained fatigue, widespread musculoskeletal pain, or a preexisting diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome or FMS, not only had improved symptoms of ADHD on stimulant medication, but also improvement of pain and fatigue, van Rensburg wrote.

http://www.ajmc.com/newsroom/study-suggests-screening-patients-with-fibromyalgia-syndrome-for-adhd-

Since the mentioned "observational case study" isn't listed in the references, I assume it was never published. Sounds pretty wishy-washy to me.

My doctor prescribed me Ritalin after reading an article from a doctor who believes Ritalin + CBT can heal CFS. The Ritalin did help with my symptoms, but I would NOT recommend it. After 6 months my body shut down because I did way more than my body could handle (Ritalin acts like speed, you just keep going) and I became completely bedridden.

I've tried ritalin and it didn't really help. I think stimulants in CFS are generally pretty ineffective, and even if they help with fatigue, they also make you crash faster. I don't think they're worth it.

hamsterman

My doctor prescribed me Ritalin after reading an article from a doctor who believes Ritalin + CBT can heal CFS. The Ritalin did help with my symptoms, but I would NOT recommend it. After 6 months my body shut down because I did way more than my body could handle (Ritalin acts like speed, you just keep going) and I became completely bedridden.

What your describing is surprisingly common, and it really underscores why its so important that we get properly diagnosed. I was prescribed Modafinil...felt great at first... and after about a month... I had a massive crash... which lowered my overall baseline. Since then... I've learned about pacing, etc... so I know why this happened. But had I known earlier... I could've prevented it.

However... that's not to say that some of us won't benefit from stimulants... but they have to be used very carefully.