• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

neuropathy from taking b12

iwillwin1day

Hi all,
I had slowly increased my b12 from many months and now taking 9mg of b12. Everything was ok. I was feeling much better. But then yesterday night I get bad neuropathy in hand first time after a week of 9mg b12 methylcobolomin. Did anybody get neuropathy or increased neuropathy from taking high dose b12?. Also if u know reason behind it please tell me.
Thanks.

keenly

Not sure why you feel the need to take so much. That's a huge, huge dose. It could be creating a deficiency of other balancing nutrients. You might try backing off and see it it resolves.
I used to take 45mg Hydroxy injections with great results.

iwillwin1day

Not sure why you feel the need to take so much. That's a huge, huge dose. It could be creating a deficiency of other balancing nutrients. You might try backing off and see it it resolves.
Thanks. I also think some other deficiency has been created.

The short answer is no, you can't get neuropathy from taking large doses of B12, regardless of the type.

The long answer is more complicated. I'll actually be sharing a post very soon that talks about this a little, but it's a long bit of commentary so it's taking a while to write up.

Two things could potentially be happening:
1. You're healing. My neurologist said that when neuropathy is healing, a person may feel better at first and then crash before climbing up a hill to total healing. He said that it's due to being able to finally feel things you couldn't feel before. I had a friend who went through a terrible form of this, while mine was more mild. But I never even had the tingling, needles or burning sensation before I was treated. After, I felt it all the time. Apparently, I was quite numb and didn't even realize it.

2. The methylcobalamin is the wrong type for your condition. There is some misinformation about the so-called "active" B12. There is no evidence whatsoever that supports the idea that it is better, especially for people with genetic B12 conditions, and a great deal of evidence that it might even be totally ineffective for people with genetic B12 conditions. This was my problem. Switching to methylcobalamin was like setting my PN on fire. It was akin to taking no B12 at all. My body just doesn't process it. I also needed much higher doses than the 5-10 mg I was taking.

If you're sure your neuropathy is caused by B12 deficiency, your best bet is to take hydroxocobalamin, or cyanocobalamin if you can't find hydroxo. Despite what has been said by self-proclaimed experts like Dr. Lynch, there's nothing whatsoever wrong with cyanocobalamin. It is the second best treatment for B12 disorders, particularly genetic conditions.

JES

It could also be that the B12 is activating something in the immune system, which then would cause the neuropathy, in other words not the B12 itself. I have some form of immunological small fiber neuropathy that gets worse with any supplement that stimulates my immune system in the wrong way, which includes Vitamin B12 and Vitamin C for instance. Both also cause floaters and dry eyes for me.

iwillwin1day

[QUOTE="MagicalMe, post: 942871, member: 9238"frome short answer is no, you can't get neuropathy from taking large doses of B12, regardless of the type.

The long answer is more complicated. I'll actually be sharing a post very soon that talks about this a little, but it's a long bit of commentary so it's taking a while to write up.

Two things could potentially be happening:
1. You're healing. My neurologist said that when neuropathy is healing, a person may feel better at first and then crash before climbing up a hill to total healing. He said that it's due to being able to finally feel things you couldn't feel before. I had a friend who went through a terrible form of this, while mine was more mild. But I never even had the tingling, needles or burning sensation before I was treated. After, I felt it all the time. Apparently, I was quite numb and didn't even realize it.

2. The methylcobalamin is the wrong type for your condition. There is some misinformation about the so-called "active" B12. There is no evidence whatsoever that supports the idea that it is better, especially for people with genetic B12 conditions, and a great deal of evidence that it might even be totally ineffective for people with genetic B12 conditions. This was my problem. Switching to methylcobalamin was like setting my PN on fire. It was akin to taking no B12 at all. My body just doesn't process it. I also needed much higher doses than the 5-10 mg I was taking.

If you're sure your neuropathy is caused by B12 deficiency, your best bet is to take hydroxocobalamin, or cyanocobalamin if you can't find hydroxo. Despite what has been said by self-proclaimed experts like Dr. Lynch, there's nothing whatsoever wrong with cyanocobalamin. It is the second best treatment for B12 disorders, particularly genetic conditions.[/QUOTE]
Yes. You are right. I think the neuropathy is from healing. Many people on this forum said the same thing. I will see if I get better with time or not. And Thanks for your reply.

iwillwin1day

It could also be that the B12 is activating something in the immune system, which then would cause the neuropathy, in other words not the B12 itself. I have some form of immunological small fiber neuropathy that gets worse with any supplement that stimulates my immune system in the wrong way, which includes Vitamin B12 and Vitamin C for instance. Both also cause floaters and dry eyes for me.
But I see b12 messed up my immune system. I get sick with fever and stomach ache on high dose b12. I am taking b12 for my nervous system and for immune system I take some herbs or auyerved medicine. Thanks.