• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Naviaux: Antipurinergic therapy for autism—an in- depth review

Murph

:)
Abstract

Are the symptoms of autism caused by a treatable metabolic syndrome that traces to the abnormal persistence of a normal, alternative functional state of mitochondria? A small clinical trial published in 2017 suggests this is possible. Based on a new unifying theory of pathogenesis for autism called the cell danger response (CDR) hypothesis, this study of 10 boys, ages 5-14 years, showed that all 5 boys who received antipurinergic therapy (APT) with a single intravenous dose of suramin experienced improvements in all the core symptoms of autism that lasted for 6-8 weeks. Language, social interaction, restricted interests, and repetitive movements all improved. None of these improvements were observed in the placebo group. Larger and longer studies are needed to confirm this promising discovery. This review introduces the concept of M2 (anti-inflammatory) and M1 (pro-inflammatory) mitochondria that are polarized along a functional continuum according to cell stress. The pathophysiology of the CDR, the complementary functions of M1 and M2 mitochondria, relevant gene- environment interactions, and the metabolic underpinnings of behavior are discussed as foundation stones for understanding the improvements in ASD behaviors produced by antipurinergic therapy in this small clinical trial.

The whole file is attached. warning: long!

Attachments

• 10.1016@j.mito.2017.12.007.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

Murph

:)
This is interesting. Ostensibly he has a new theory about m1 and m2 mitochondria but really it seems to just cover the purinergic theory again in detail.

One thing I've learned is that theory is cheap and data is expensive. If you get this far ahead of the data and find the real world matches up with your hypothesisng, you're going to deserve all the Nobel prizes.

rtyi @necessary8

ljimbo423

8. The CDR, Natural Infections, and Vaccinations

The CDR is a normal and universal feature of any stress. This means that it is normally activated by both natural
infections
and vaccination.
The CDR is needed to establish cellular and humoral immunity.

This could be why so many with CFS have onset during or after an infection, especially a viral infection. The infection triggers the CDR and some people are not able to recover from it.

My first onset of CFS was after a viral infection. I was able to pull out of that with fairly simple lifestyle changes but it still took 1-2 years and I was also only 18 at the time.

This last onset of CFS was very slow over many years and no specific trigger. He also says that the CDR could be triggered by "any stress", which might be why some onsets are triggered by stressful periods in ones life.

Jim