• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Airbnb Situation..

Misfit Toy

We are about to start this ourselves after Christmas. We live in small coastal town which is very popular with tourists.

I am so excited for you. We will have to keep each other posted. Right now I only allow people to stay 3 nights. I may extend it after Christmas but I am still making jewelry at this busy season and I need my second room for my work. I really like it. This month I only have 3 people, but the first 2 brung in $100 each and the third will bring in $60 for one night.

I don't make a ton of money. This month, only $260, but believe it or not, that is fine for me. I only wanted to make enough for it to be worthwhile to stay in the current apartment that I am in. I can't get apartments for much less than what I am paying, but this brings the cost of it down to a great price, so the apartment is paying for itself and I live in a really nice town with the police right down the road on the same street. Very safe and I don't want to leave as of yet.

This is a pleasant conversation! I am so happy for something light!!

geraldt52

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but do be careful.

Check with your homeowners/renters insurance agent regarding what you are doing to verify that you are covered in the way that you think you are. If you're also transporting guests for a fee, check with your auto insurance agent to verify that you are covered in the way that you think you are. If you are renting/leasing your property, and then yourself renting rooms to others, you should verify with the owner or a lawyer that that doesn't violate your rental/lease contract. Lastly, and oddly maybe least likely to get you in real trouble, local jurisdictions are cracking down on such rentals and requiring registration/inspection/fees and such.

I am not a lawyer, and none of this is intended as legal advice. These things tend to work great, until they don't...and then you can end up with a hassle that ends up costing you substantially more than you made.

I can see the benefits to someone to make a few bucks. Just be careful and make sure that you know what you're doing so you don't get a nasty surprise.

ghosalb

Ghost, I am right near Bryn Mawr! I am at Swarthmore College, Bryn Mawr's sister school. I went to Temple University!

Do you really think $25-30 for pickup? I charge $15. I am so close to the airport.
my thinking was that if they are willing to pay 25-30 to the taxi guy, then why not you....unless your area is very competitive and you are charging 15 to attract customers....few times I used airbnb, I would have paid extra for host pick up.....it was a pain finding the place, keys etc....I am sure female customers will prefer you than a taxi guy they don't know for the same cost

Misfit Toy

@geraldt52 -very good advice and yes, I am looking into insurance. I would never sublet my place...ever and we are not allowed to do that. This apartment is so transient with so many students and one moves in and another moves out and they have a revolving door of roommates and the apartment complex could care less. As long as they get their rent and I am a longterm tenant who is never late in rent...ever.

I am so quiet and make sure my guests are, so that so far so good. Having said that, I agree with your theory..things go well until they don't.

I know it's hard for many to get insured while running an airbnb. The question is this....if I am only doing this part time, do I really want to pay for insurance, when the insurance costs as much as a I make per month? It's a good question.

And this is just my own opinion...I know many areas are cracking down on airbnb. In someways I get it, but if someone is a homeowner, isn't that their right? To have people come and stay or live with them? That is something I don't quite understand. If you own your home outright and rent a room out to someone, why is it an issue? The noise, the what?

Anyway, thank you. I appreciate this and know it also. This is one reason I am doing this very part time. I am trying to remain under the radar and by picking up people at the airport and going into my apartment it "appears or seems" like the woman staying is a friend. This is also a reason why I really interview people on why they are coming. They can't just come for the sake of hanging out so to speak. I like the people who stay here to be coming here for reasons having to do with the college or because they have a wedding to go to. (Golf club and country club for weddings around the corner.)

Last edited:

TrixieStix

A few years back I looked into offering my place up for short-term rental and discovered that most homeowners policies do not cover you if your doing this as it's considered to be running a small-business out of your home, and they might even cancel your policy if they find out about it. New York Times ran an article about this aspect of short-term rentals a few years ago. However there are a few home owners insurance companies (this is US specific) that do offer homeowners coverage if your doing short-term renting. I always make sure to mention this aspect of it to friends who are interested in doing it as I would hate to see someone I care about hit with a lawsuit and/or lose their home if something were to happen. I also found a very recent article about the flaws and unknowns in regards to the "coverage" offered to hosts by Airbnb and how it is not a replacement for actual insurance.

http://www.thelegalintelligencer.co...e-Is-It-Up-in-the-Air?slreturn=20170914041434

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/06/...lity-coverage-but-hosts-still-have-risks.html

geraldt52

I know many areas are cracking down on airbnb. In someways I get it, but if someone is a homeowner, isn't that their right? To have people come and stay or live with them? That is something I don't quite understand. If you own your home outright and rent a room out to someone, why is it an issue? The noise, the what
Well, I think the short answer is that local jurisdictions would like to collect fees and taxes for their piece of the pie. The longer answer is that there can be health, safety, zoning, parking, and other issues.

Hotels, motels, even B and Bs have to comply with certain minimal requirements for their rooms, so the question is why shouldn't individuals who are renting out rooms? As a for instance, what if there's a fire and there's no working smoke detector, or CO detector, or proper fire exit with instruction notices? Or, what if someone falls on some stairs that don't meet code? It's also the same argument that the taxi drivers have against Uber drivers...same job, why not same regulations?

I can see both sides but I'm not a big fan of Airbnb and Uber as companies, and I wouldn't just rely on their advice for anything. I'm sure they'll be sure that they're covered...you, not so much.

Mary Poppins

75% Smurf
......I like the people who stay here to be coming here for reasons having to do with the college or because they have a wedding to go to. (Golf club and country club for weddings around the corner.)

Aah, weddings.

I like weddings. :heart::cake: :bouquet:

I hope you get more guests attending events in your area - perhaps you could find jewellery clients amongst them.

sissypop

Aah, weddings.

I like weddings. :heart::cake: :bouquet:

I hope you get more guests attending events in your area - perhaps you could find jewellery clients amongst them.
Yes wonderful idea. @Misfit Toy could "just so happen" to have a display of certain jewelry that she may think would appeal to a certain guest or occasion in plain view when they come. :)

Misfit Toy

Okay, I wanted to talk about this...I have an airbnb guest here right now. He will be here for a total of 3 nights. It's great as I was not home most of today and he was off on his own. We watched Netflix tonight and talked.

Here is my issue...he is a guy. Mostly guys come to stay here. Not so much women. I have had 4 women. Almost every single guy but 2 have told me I am attractive and a few have flirted with me. Of course, I do not play into it, but I am wondering how to deal with it.

It's odd I think to tell a woman that you are staying with that they are attractive. This is a business transaction. They pay to stay here...that's it.

I enjoy doing this, it's fun to have company at times and to talk and learn about people, but this is something I have to deal with. Meaning, I have to figure out a way that a man does not say that to me.

Having said that, I can't control what they say to me!

Two of the men have been married and are either in love with other women or want a divorce. I'll tell you, I am like a fly on the wall when it comes to how men can be. Not all men are like this of course, but....some are thinking with the wrong "head."

This month, which is usually dead is proving to be a money making month. I have someone coming in on the 26th and staying for 4 nights. A guy...again. I am nervous in that he best not like me! :bang-head:

I think I am going to have to buy pepper spray.

Last edited:

*GG*

Okay, I wanted to talk about this...I have an airbnb guest here right now. He will be here for a total of 3 nights. It's great as I was not home most of today and he was off on his own. We watched Netflix tonight and talked.

Here is my issue...he is a guy. Mostly guys come to stay here. Not so much women. I have had 4 women. Almost every single guy but 2 have told me I am attractive and a few have flirted with me. Of course, I do not play into it, but I am wondering how to deal with it.

It's odd I think to tell a woman that you are staying with that they are attractive. This is a business transaction. They pay to stay here...that's it.

I enjoy doing this, it's fun to have company at times and to talk and learn about people, but this is something I have to deal with. Meaning, I have to figure out a way that a man does not say that to me.

Having said that, I can't control what they say to me!

Two of the men have been married and are either in love with other women or want a divorce. I'll tell you, I am like a fly on the wall when it comes to how men can be. Not all men are like this of course, but....some are thinking with the wrong "head."

This month, which is usually dead is proving to be a money making month. I have someone coming in on the 26th and staying for 4 nights. A guy...again. I am nervous in that he best not like me! :bang-head:

I think I am going to have to buy pepper spray.

You are attractive, and pepper spray is a good start if (hopefully not) needed.

GG

Misfit Toy

I actually don't think you should be spending time with them. It's a business transaction, as you say. If they want the full Girlfriend Experience they can go to a bordello.

I need a bigger place or a place with my own bathroom. For now, it's a 700 square foot apartment. I am stuck with them. Some people just go right to the room and hang out, the past few want to hang out.

Pepper spray.

Mary Poppins

75% Smurf
Yup.

It's mildly flattering to be called attractive - but it's weirdly opportunistic to say it to someone you've just met.

Just casually the leave the spray out on the bench in full view too.