• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Marijuana not so good for me

wonderoushope

Okay so I have had marijuana a few times, and have not really noticed any effect.

But a friend had some and thought it might help and was sure this time around it would work. Well, it did kick in but it wasn't the best experience. I had to smoke about 3 joints to get any effect, but when I did I got terrible anxiety and felt on edge then I reverted to my socially anxious behaviour of being completely incoherent. I haven't been like that in quite a number of years (I have pretty much recovered from social anxiety, but one of the issues was that I would stammer my words and couldn't form proper sentences).

The next day my energy was so, so low and was constantly grazing (because I was so fatigued) and guess my body was using food to try and get energy.

I guess I am writing to let others know that Marijuana might not have a great effect for some with CFS issues.

Maybe it was not the best grade cannabis, I am not sure, but my friend seemed to enjoy it.

Any thoughts on why some people react with anxiety when it comes to cannabis, where others seem to get a great relaxed feeling?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Any thoughts on why some people react with anxiety when it comes to cannabis, where others seem to get a great relaxed feeling?
As @Tammy mentioned, the strain you use makes a big difference. Some strains may cause anxiety in ME/CFS patients, so knowing what strain you are using is very important.

Wishful

I tried some 'special' brownies. I really, really, really disliked the effect on my mental processes. People take this for fun??? No effect on my ME/CFS either.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I tried some 'special' brownies. I really, really, really disliked the effect on my mental processes. People take this for fun???
I'd guess these were made for the "high" effect and the strain might be very different from the ones that help with some patients' ME/CFS symptoms.

Wishful

Indeed, I expected that the normal 'recreational' variety would most likely have a negative effect on my symptoms rather than a positive effect, but it was offered and I thought I might as well give it a try. I was just surprised at how unpleasant I found the 'recreational' effects. The Canadian government promised to make marijuana legal, but haven't even bothered to make low-THC hemp legal and available.

E.man

I have smoked a little recreationally for many years.
I only smoke a little without putting any tobacco with it. It's not needed and adds a whole other layer of impact. I've never been a tobacco smoker and can say I really don't like it.
As for Ganga effect on ME I don't smoke when I'm feeling bad and 'crashed'. I'm already falling over and passing out.
If I'm in pain and can't sleep the sedative aspect is useful.
If I'm feeling reasonably ok but just a bit achy a little can relieve it. It can be easy to get a bit carried away then.
I'm probably at an advantage over someone not used to it at all. I can judge strength and effect just cos I am used to it.

E.man

Unless the previous time was from the same batch or both lots had a tested label of potency on them it's going to be different. Start slow and give it ten minutes to feel it before having more if you try it again.
There's no rush !

As others have said strains make a huge difference, generally indica's are relaxing and sativa's stimulating. Out of the 100's of varieties out there I found only a few helpful with symptoms like sleep, pain and breaking the tired but wired cycle. The wrong strain and it can make these symptoms worse.

panckage

I will agree 3 joints is a lot to feel an effect... The largest dose I use is 0.1g in a vaporizer which is 1/3 of a small cannabis cigarette. This is with average quality cannabis. It appears your dosage is at least 9 times my highest dose... I've never actually heard of anyone needing 3 joints to feel any effect before...

I'm not too sure what you have been smoking (maybe leaf, not bud?) but you may want to try another source before giving up