• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Eliminating scents

Strawberry

I finally got my roommate moved out of the house. Yes, party is at Strawberries this weekend! And you are all invited! Woot! But that bedroom is so perfumy I can't open the door, and have a towel blocking the smell from coming into the house. It has been a week and a half and still quite fragrant. One dresser drawer is so strong I fear it will never air out, and it is a brand new dresser! So I really don't consider selling it an option as I really still want it, its an expensive matched set. (thank god I hadn't moved the dresser that my dad built into that room yet, I would probably be in jail for murder right now...)

Other than time and leaving the window open, are there tricks for removing perfume odors? (I don't have carpet if that helps, hardwood)

Tagging @Dainty and @Gingergrrl as I'm sure you both have awesome advice.

Thanks in advance!

RWP (Rest without Peace)

@Strawberry

My wife, @PWR (Peace without Rest), has been very severe with MCS, though she has improved significantly from where she was. Yes, perfume is one of the trickiest things. Another patient told us 27 years ago about Apple Cider Vinegar, specifically the Heinz brand. We have used it ever since. Of course, it would be detrimental to the wood to use, but one idea could be to pour out an entire quart into a glass bowl and leave it in there. That might cut down the worst of the airborne fumes. I'll try to keep thinking of other ideas for other aspects of the problem. This feels like deja vu!

RWP (RestwithoutPeace)

RWP (Rest without Peace)

One additonal note: we have found that the Heinz ACV needs to be packaged in glass in order to be effective against petrochemicals (e.g., the solvents used in the perfume that are the real issue). The plastic "uses up" the active ingredients that remove perfume.

RWP

RWP (Rest without Peace)

The other natural substance that's great for detoxing smells (esp. petroleum derivatives) in the air is coffee. An MCS friend from church is married to a mechanic/race car driver (!) and she told us about this one. You could alternate days between the two options if you want. You could put 4 oz or more of fresh/canned coffee grounds in a glass/metal bowl/pan and leave in the drawer for 12-24 hours, just like the vinegar.

RWP + PWR

Gingergrrl

I am not really sure about getting rid of the smell except letting it air out for a very long time and using a catalytic lamp. When I was at my worst in 2015, absolutely nothing worked and I mean nothing. And now I can use hair dye and wear perfume again. But am glad your roommate moved out and hope some of the other suggestions work on the smell!

I would remove the drawer, clean it real well, and then put it in the garage with a fan on high pointing at it to accelerate the off-gassing. And also open a window and point a fan at the dresser itself with the other drawers open. Later, you could put some plants in that room to clean any residual toxins in the air. I don’t know if baking soda really works to absorb odors, but that is another option you could try. Ugh I’m not even there but I feel like I can smell it. Hope it goes away soon.

ukxmrv

Baking soda has helped me before. Leaving an open can or sprinkling it into the drawer and then removing the baking sofa the next day.
Does the drawer come out of the dresser completely and can you put it outside to air for a while.

Really sympathise as odours and in particular perfume are awful for me as well.

Strawberry

I forgot to put the vinegar in the drawer last night... I definitely will this weekend! Putting the stinky drawer in the garage is definitely a good idea, but it is so much more than just the drawers. I had hoped her getting the mattress and bedding out would eliminate most, but it didn't. Its on the floor, too, I guess. I need to wash the floors and drawers I guess, do you all think unscented dish soap (diluted properly) would work? I need to get in that room, and I haven't been able to buy a respirator yet.

Coffee won't work for me, when perfume sets me off, coffee does too. She drank loads of it, 24/7. :eek: I have tons of baking soda, will use that too. And I have all ready had someone move the plants back into that room, so at least they are helping do their job.

Sorry I didn't tag anyone, lack of time and too much to say. Thank you everyone that has responded!!@!

RWP (Rest without Peace)

@Strawberry,

A diluted amount of the ACV (I know, it's a bit tricky), such as 1/2 cup to a bucket of mop water, might be enough to knock it down without harming your finish. I just had to do something just like that when the delivery men bringing @PWR (Peace without Rest) 's powerchair had cologne on (and had to lie on the floor while assembling). We had asked them to be fragrance free, but it may have been on their clothing already. Of course, you should test in a hidden spot to make sure it didn't knock the shine off.

Sorry to hear about the coffee. Baking soda works well too!

RWP (Rest without Peace)

Dainty

I finally saw this thread! Late to the party, but HORRAAAAAY!!!!!!

This one is going to be super tricky. If I can't even tolerate your area of the house, and this room is worse, I'm afraid to imagine it! Having no carpet DEFINITELY helps, so that's awesome. I have lots of ideas, not sure which of them might work, but we can start tackling it and find out!

I'll just list various possibilities here to add on to what's already been suggested:

• High heat + airing it out. Heat is needed for efficient outgassing. Space heaters could help.
  • A very thorough washing. I'm talking entire floor, walls, ceiling, dresser. Every single bit of surface area in there has smelly particles on them. Physically removing those is an important step.
  • Steaming all the surfaces that can take it can help by combining physical removal of the particulates with heat that also helps things offgass.
  • Ozonating with an ozone generator (NOT "ozone air purifier"). I have a lot of experience using mine. It can help a lot, but I prefer to reserve this as somewhat of a "last resort". Must seal off the room during the process.
  • An air filter or non-ozone air purifier like Molekule can help a lot. It will still take time. Filters will get used up quickly with the perfume, and there is a risk they can become irrevocably contaminated. This happened at my workplace with an IQ air purifier, even after all filters were fully changed, everything wiped down, whole thing taken apart, the $1,000+ unit is now worthless for MCS folks. So far it looks like it's impossible for Molekule to get contaminated, we just got one at work 2 weeks ago and I HIGHLY recommend it, very effective.
  • Finally, if there's still an odor after trying lots of things, one optionw ould be to repaint the walls with clay-based paint, and seal the furniture with an AFM safeseal product designed to seal in offgassing. We'd only want to do that after trying everything else, because you want to try to eliminate the source as much as possible before covering it up.
I'm sure there's more, this is just off the top of my head. I gotta run for the moment but let's tackle this! I'm so excited!

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I use baking soda and airing out. Its taken me over a year and still my airing cupboard smells of the last occupants washing powder. We bought a kind of varnish that can absorb odours and painted the wooden slats in the cupboard - 3 times! This definately helped the most. Try the Green Building Store in the US for passivating paints, primers, varnishes etc. Other wise just seal off the door with plastic and tape and leave the window open for a few months.

perchance dreamer

Just a little moan, here. I find that men wear as much fragrance as women. Even my roofer wears it, and I wonder why on earth would someone wear fragrance when doing this type of work?

I think not all men who smell of fragrance are putting on cologne. Maybe aftershave has fragrance.

Strawberry

Been meaning to update, but only have one minute. With time, the room finally got below my reaction threshold, but it still stinks. Vinegar did decent, but what is helping most is mopping. Problem is I can only do 1/4 of the room at a time, and I crash for a few days. Its getting there!

@Dainty are you still interested in cleaning if I can get rid of the smell?

Dainty

Been meaning to update, but only have one minute. With time, the room finally got below my reaction threshold, but it still stinks. Vinegar did decent, but what is helping most is mopping. Problem is I can only do 1/4 of the room at a time, and I crash for a few days. Its getting there!

@Dainty are you still interested in cleaning if I can get rid of the smell?

Yes! And I'm also interested in helping you get rid of the smell more, too. I've got my mask and decontamination protocols, so I'll b fine. Plus, I want to gain more experience in eliminating fragrances. I could handle the rest of it for you so there's no need to crash?

i-lava-u

I get a big pot, mix with water and plain vinegar (2/3 water 1/3 vinegar or as much/little is tolerable), boil it on stove till almost all evaporated, or till smell has gone...leave all windows/doors in house open (or the offending room window/door at minimum if too cold)

Or, big pot of water (same process as above) with added natural ingredients i can tolerate, which i appreciate is different for everyone. A combo I like is cinnamon sticks, cloves and oranges or fresh mint leaves with peppermint essential oil...

Strawberry

I want to gain more experience in eliminating fragrances.

Yes! I just texted you. I have a new bird cage to build, and they are going back into that room. I'm not sure if perfume/incense/whatever affects them too, but birds are very sensitive so I want that room normal again. At least MY normal... :cool:

I felt bad sending you home smelly last time, but we will not use the swiffer anymore.

Dainty

Yes! I just texted you. I have a new bird cage to build, and they are going back into that room. I'm not sure if perfume/incense/whatever affects them too, but birds are very sensitive so I want that room normal again. At least MY normal... :cool:

I felt bad sending you home smelly last time, but we will not use the swiffer anymore.

If it makes you feel any better, my dream is to someday be the person you call to make the typical fragrance-y home tolerable for an MCS sufferer to be in without reacting. Now obviously each person is different, so that sort of thing will always be a bit of a moving goalpost. But after seeing what's possible where I work, and how isolating it is when it doesn't happen, I'm really passionate about learning how to decontaminate living spaces.

So you're really doing me a favor, I promise!