• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Foods/Supplements that Strengthen Lower Esophageal Sphincter?

perchance dreamer

@Rizz, google D-Limonene and lower esophageal sphincter. I take Jarrow Limonene, and it really helped get my GERD under control. I take it at night because it's a little relaxing.

I get it at Amazon, and it's very inexpensive.

perchance dreamer

@Rizz, also google aloe vera juice and lower esophageal sphincter. I started taking aloe vera juice a couple of years ago for IBS, some time before I got GERD. It's also supposed to be good for GERD.

I take George's Aloe Vera Juice, which I order from Amazon. It's also in some of the stores here in Austin. It's inexpensive, and they have an 8 oz bottle if you want to try it before ordering the larger sizes.

@perchance dreamer

Thanks my friend. Just ordered d limonene. I have tried aloe in the past and it has actually worked amazingly, but most brands have potassium sorbate which i cannot tolerate (i know georges doesnt). Most supplements and foods give me asthma now so i have to pick and choose very carefully. Thanks for the recommendations!

perchance dreamer

You are welcome, @Rizz. Let us know if you get a benefit.

I think the studies about D-Limone and GERD had the participants taking the supplement every other day. That was not effective for me, but taking it every day was. It took a little while to become effective, if I remember correctly.

My nutritionist said it's fine to take D-Limone every day if I need to and that it's a good antioxidant.

Something I like about George's is that it has no taste at all and doesn't have preservatives or additives. It's like drinking water. I take 1 oz twice a day.

Good luck!

Timaca

I have been experimenting with various probiotics for different GI issues (fairly constant heartburn and also lower intestinal pain). It seems I can find probiotics to deal with one issue, or the other, but not both at the same time. :rolleyes:

Recently, I started taking the probiotic Align. I open the capsule and just take a small amount daily....such that once capsule lasts me for about a week. I was surprised to find that my heartburn has eased substantially. I hardly notice it now. Maybe it would help you?

I did try the D-Limone (it's been awhile). That didn't seem to work. The George's aloe has been on my list to try, but right now I'm decently happy with the Align. However, it is not helping the lower GI pain, so I may try to add in the probiotics that did help with that and see what happens if I take a small amount of all 3 of them.....

Wishing you success!

You are welcome, @Rizz. Let us know if you get a benefit.

I think the studies about D-Limone and GERD had the participants taking the supplement every other day. That was not effective for me, but taking it every day was. It took a little while to become effective, if I remember correctly.
Good luck!

Hello. Can you please tell me how long it took for you to feel the benefits from the supplement? A week?