• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

going private for treatment

Misfit Toy

What is anyone's experience of receiving private treatment? and would they recommend it

Do you mean in the UK or Britain? I am sure people have experiences. I know it! Many pay out of pocket.

I guess the answer is...each physician is different. So each person has different experiences depending on that doctor. Some love one but hate another. Or, dislike.

would you explain what you mean by "private treatment"?;)
In the uk we have the nhs which is free, but is useless for ME, so going private = pay for it.
Do you mean in the UK or Britain? I am sure people have experiences. I know it! Many pay out of pocket.

I guess the answer is...each physician is different. So each person has different experiences depending on that doctor. Some love one but hate another. Or, dislike.

I am just trying to weigh up whether it would be worth it for me to do it.

In the uk we have the nhs which is free, but is useless for ME, so going private = pay for it.

I am just trying to weigh up whether it would be worth it for me to do it.
That's a very broad question. It depends on your expectations and the size of your wallet. The NHS is a very limited resource providing basic healthcare within a stringently managed budget. If you've not had your health condition investigated further, it's possible something has been missed. I don't know your medical history, but you may have an inkling whether or not there is something potentially treatable that has, up to now, been overlooked. So, yes, in summary, private healthcare is worth it, if you can afford it. By which, I mean if it is disposable income, don't remortgage your house.

Last edited: