• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Esther Crawley TEDxBristol Disrupting Your View Of ME

FTY

I watched the talk and found it quite bizarre but I didn't think it was too threatening (as a result of its bizarre-ness mostly). I thought it was quite muddled and the message/story wasn't particularly clear.

Jen Brea's talk was amazingly concise, clear and so genuine by contrast. A friend of mine texted me the other day to say that Jen's TED talk had just popped up on her instagram feed, she had watched it and said that it really helped her to understand the illness and what it must be like for me. So I am hopeful that the right message is getting through!

She also to my knowledge was involved with seizing a child who failed to recover from her mother and forced her to endure vigorous physiotherapy for several days as an inpatient. As a result the child was left paralysed and was dumped on the mother while EC washed her hands of her and took no responsibility for the devastating harm she had inflicted on the child and family.

Is there any evidence for this having happened?

Countrygirl

I watched the talk and found it quite bizarre but I didn't think it was too threatening (as a result of its bizarre-ness mostly). I thought it was quite muddled and the message/story wasn't particularly clear.

Jen Brea's talk was amazingly concise, clear and so genuine by contrast. A friend of mine texted me the other day to say that Jen's TED talk had just popped up on her instagram feed, she had watched it and said that it really helped her to understand the illness and what it must be like for me. So I am hopeful that the right message is getting through!

Is there any evidence for this having happened?

I have the legal evidence, yes. It is a quite well known case in 'certain quarters'.

HowToEscape?

You had me rickrolled there! In all seriousness legal action against a specific individual is probably not the way to go at this stage - the myth of the militant patient and all that. The BPS lobby would be all over it: "You see, they've got it in for us!!"

If there is actionable evidence then action should be taken. The evidence would need to be quite strong, and preferably multiple similar instances. Look what happened to Hollywood child molesters, first it was nobody would believe them then nobody wanted to give up the advantage of favors the abusers could confer then finally everyone metaphorically looked at each other and said ‘wait a minute, what are we all afraid of?’

FTY

Open letter to TEDxBristol regarding Esther Crawley's presentation on 2 November 2017
by Carly Maryhew

Great open letter that requests that the entire video not be posted by TEDxBristol, either on its own site or on YouTube (methodological flaws, use of the fake Sunday Times threat letter...)

https://www.s4me.info/index.php?thr...rawleys-presentation-on-2-november-2017.1532/

This letter is amazing. Much gratitude to the person who used up precious energy to write it. Really well done.