• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Ketogenic Diets Curb Inflammation in the Brain

Nielk

Blocking a Protein in Glucose Metabolism Could Have Same Effect as the Diet
Ketogenic diets – extreme low-carbohydrate, high-fat regimens that have long been known to benefit epilepsy and other neurological illnesses – may work by lowering inflammation in the brain, according to new research by UC San Francisco scientists.

The UCSF team has discovered a molecular key to the diet’s apparent effects, opening the door for new therapies that could reduce harmful brain inflammation following stroke and brain trauma by mimicking the beneficial effects of an extreme low-carb diet.

“It's a key issue in the field – how to suppress inflammation in the brain after injury,” saidRaymond Swanson, MD, a professor of neurology at UCSF, chief of the neurology service at the San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and senior author of the new study.

In the paper, published online Sept. 22 in the journalNature Communications, Swanson and his colleagues found the previously undiscovered mechanism by which a low-carbohydrate diet reduces inflammation in the brain. Importantly, the team identified a pivotal protein that links the diet to inflammatory genes, which, if blocked, could mirror the anti-inflammatory effects of ketogenic diets.

“The ketogenic diet is very difficult to follow in everyday life, and particularly when the patient is very sick,” Swanson said. “The idea that we can achieve some of the benefits of a ketogenic diet by this approach is the really exciting thing here.”

Read article here -

Wayne

Hi Nielk,

Interesting information! -- I've been using DMSO regularly for the past couple of years, and feel it's been very helpful in helping me control inflammation in my brain. It even improved my POTS. -- DMSO is used in conventional medicine for the same purpose, especially for closed head injuries. Lots of information online about this; here's a snippet from THIS ARTICLE.

"Dr. Jacob notes that in studies conducted from 1978 to 1982, “we observed that when the human brain was treated with intravenously administered DMSO after a head injury, the swelling could be reduced within five minutes."

EDIT to ADD:

Just ran across this snippet on Stanley Jacobs, the man from Oregon who spent decades researching DMSO. --- FROM THIS COMPREHENSIVE ARTICLE

"A week before he died, his father said he had dreamed that Stan would find some wonderful chemical from wood, and people all over the world would be holding out their hands for it!"

Last edited:
Hi Nielk,

Interesting information! -- I've been using DMSO regularly for the past couple of years, and feel it's been very helpful in helping me control inflammation in my brain. It even improved my POTS. -- DMSO is used in conventional medicine for the same purpose, especially for closed head injuries. Lots of information online about this; here's a snippet from THIS ARTICLE.

"Dr. Jacob notes that in studies conducted from 1978 to 1982, “we observed that when the human brain was treated with intravenously administered DMSO after a head injury, the swelling could be reduced within five minutes."

EDIT to ADD:

Just ran across this snippet on Stanley Jacobs, the man from Oregon who spent decades researching DMSO. --- FROM THIS COMPREHENSIVE ARTICLE

"A week before he died, his father said he had dreamed that Stan would find some wonderful chemical from wood, and people all over the world would be holding out their hands for it!"

@Wayne I am a new member, so I am not able to message people yet. I saw on a post that you had a root canal done with Endocal. Can you tell me what your dentists name was? I may need a root canal and Endocal I heard is a lot more bio-compatible.

Wayne

@Wayne I am a new member, so I am not able to message people yet. I saw on a post that you had a root canal done with Endocal. Can you tell me what your dentists name was? I may need a root canal and Endocal I heard is a lot more bio-compatible.

Hi @SammyBlonday,

Many years ago, I was planning on re-doing a root canal done with Endocal, but ended up deciding not to. After having an old root canal drilled out, I didn't have a lot of tooth left. As a result, it would have taken a fair amount of time and expense to pull down the tooth enough to do a reliable root canal.

So I ended doing an extraction, and getting a bridge instead. -- Below are three separate posts I've done on some of my thoughts and experiences on Endocal and some of my dental issues that you may find helpful.

Root Canals
Removal of Amalgam Fillings
Poll - How Many Root Canals Do You Have

At this time, I don't believe I'll ever have another root canal done. The reason being is that I don't believe guta perca is a suitable material to use, and that most likely every root canal done with it will fail, probably within a matter of weeks or months.

I believe Endocal is a better material, but am not convinced it will keep anaerobic infections from forming in the tooth. The upside to doing Endocal is that I believe the infections will be fewer and smaller than using guta perca. Unfortunately, I don't know of any dentists here in Oregon who do Endocal root canals, but I suspect you could find one online if you did some searching.
-
The main reason I don't believe I'll ever doing another root canal is because I believe that the kinds of infections that normally necessitate one in the first place can be controlled or eliminated without having to do the dental surgery.

Though It's controversial, I read accounts online of people using MMS / CDS (Miracle Miner Solution / Chlorine Dioxide Solution) to treat oral infections. I had a very painful infection crop up a few years ago, and was told by my dentist that I needed a root canal and crown (about $2,000). I decided to give the MMS a try, and was delighted to have the pain and severity of it decrease dramatically over a couple of days. Though it still occasionally flares up a bit, using the MMS solution brings it back into check right away.

Another "trick" I use is to put 1-2 grams of sodium ascorbate in my mouth, and then add a few drops of DMSO. I leave it in my mouth for 2-3 minutes, and gradually start swallowing it over for the next couple of minutes. The DMSO acts as a "carrier" and gets Vit. C deep into the tissues of the mouth.

People who have oral infections generally deplete their Vitamin C reserves very quickly, and develop what they call "localized scurvy". When you have localized scurvy in the mouth, oral infections can take hold far more easily. Between doing these two things, I believe I will be able to avoid any oral conditions that would normally necessitate a root canal.

It seems clear to me I still have a lingering oral infection that has a tendency to crop up now and then, and am considering being much more consistent with MMS than I have been. I've been hesitant to do this, because of the concern about the ability of MMS to damage the enamel on my teeth. But I've gotten into the habit of drinking bone broths regularly, and am amazed how much more resilient my teeth have become to various factors.

When I compare my "linger oral infection" to a guta perca root canal situation, I believe the former is much safer to deal with than the latter. I'm not as confident that's the case with Endocal, but I do know that an Endocal root canal costs about a $1,000, with no guarantees of keeping it infection free. For me the choice is pretty easy. And it gives me a much better sense of control at the same time.

I hope all this information wasn't too much! :angel:

Good luck with your figuring out a good solution for yourself! :)

Wayne

Last edited:

Wayne

To connect my above post with the topic of this thread (brain inflammation). It doesn't seem inconceivable to me that oral infections, including root-canaled teeth, can be responsible for various kinds of inflammation of the brain. I have a book that delves into the role that oral infections can have on brain health. It details how various oral spirochetal bacteria have been found in the brains of people who died of dementia. Oral health is soooo important, not only for our brains, but for our cardiovascular system as well.

Wayne

Just ran across the snippet below from THIS ARTICLE on Mercola.com.

Resveratrol can cross your blood-brain barrier to quell inflammation in your central nervous system. This type of inflammation actually plays an important role in the development of neurodegenerative illnesses.

Resveratrol also shows promise in improving cerebral blood flow, which is responsible for its protective effects against stroke and vascular dementia.

Mary

Moderator Resource

Resveratrol can cross your blood-brain barrier to quell inflammation in your central nervous system. This type of inflammation actually plays an important role in the development of neurodegenerative illnesses.

Resveratrol also shows promise in improving cerebral blood flow, which is responsible for its protective effects against stroke and vascular dementia.

I've been taking resveratrol to help with post-lorazepam taper insomnia - it helps mop up excess glutamate. Here's an interesting study about resveratrol and glutamate:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23459926

pamojja

Resveratrol can cross your blood-brain barrier to quell inflammation in your central nervous system.

Once heard an interview of Datis Kharazzian, Author of the book 'Why my brain isn't working', that against brain inflammation he uses Resveratrol and high quality Curcumin in the range of 1 to 2 gram each. Less wouldn't really work.

HowToEscape?

Mercola is a sales and self promotion site. It may step onto solid ground some of the time, but this is purely by accident.
Think of the best doctor you’ve ever met. Do they have a sales and marketing department? Are they a celebrity Or attempting to be one?

pamojja

Mercola is a sales and self promotion site. It may step onto solid ground some of the time, but this is purely by accident.

It's rather simple with Mercola. The moment he's selling something I already know it's terribly overpriced and pass on. With articles where he doesn't sells something - which is the majority - he gives his informed opinion (actually with that kind of output he surely has staff writing for him). Wether Mercola or any self-less scientist, in either case one has to check the facts.

Anyway, a bad salesman. Didn't made a cent from a reader like me :p.