• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Lapp closing practice, I need a doctor near Bristol Tn or Roanoke Va

Parismountain

Just got a call that Dr. Lapp is shutting down as of 1/31/2018. Been going there over 20 years. I need a CFS/ME doctor that will similarly see me once or twice a year and fill out disability paperwork.

Looking in Western Va/Bristol area or Roanoke Va, or Greenville SC or Raleigh NC.

I'm sure there's going to be lots of people in the same boat as I.

Parismountain

Yes he is retiring. They are cancelling appointments made out into the future. Doesn't look like Dr. Black is an option at the moment.

I'm so fuzzy on how to find a local doctor who will do my SSD paperwork now. This was a non-worry area of my life and now it is unsettling to have to start a doctor patient relationship all over again when there are so many CFS doubters out there.

rel8ted

I have (or had) an appt with Dr. Black in March. Haven't heard a thing from the office. Will be calling Monday.

Will be needing a new doc if she's not going to be practicing anymore.Could be anywhere within 300 miles of Roanoke.

nryanh94

I'm interested in other options as well. I had to cancel my appointment with Dr Black, and went to reschedule only to be told they weren't accepting new patients and Dr Lapp is retiring. I asked what about Dr Black, and was told they were unaware if she would stay on.

rel8ted

I'm interested in other options as well. I had to cancel my appointment with Dr Black, and went to reschedule only to be told they weren't accepting new patients and Dr Lapp is retiring. I asked what about Dr Black, and was told they were unaware if she would stay on.
I did finally get s letter from the practice that included a list of other physicians that are knowledgeable about ME. There was one in Cary (closer to the VA border of NC) and s couple in the RDU area & 1 in Asheville. Other than that everyone was too far away for me to travel to. Can’t find the list right now. Maybe you can ask Hunter Hopkins for a suggestion.

We were told Dr. Black would be announcing her intentions in December. I’m very nervous about that!

nryanh94

I did finally get s letter from the practice that included a list of other physicians that are knowledgeable about ME. There was one in Cary (closer to the VA border of NC) and s couple in the RDU area & 1 in Asheville. Other than that everyone was too far away for me to travel to. Can’t find the list right now. Maybe you can ask Hunter Hopkins for a suggestion.

We were told Dr. Black would be announcing her intentions in December. I’m very nervous about that!

I've contacted Hunter Hopkins and they recommended a Dr in cary as well. The practice is whole health solutions. While she looks good and I'm interested in trying IV vitiatmins, I'm very skeptical of trying IV glutathione which she reccomends

rel8ted

There was one doc they had marked as alternative and another as "very alternative"
Maybe this is one of them. I would have to hear a LOT of rave reviews to make the 3 hour trip for a chance at anyone winning cash & fabulous prizes by successfully starting an IV on the first try in one of my veins :(.

Can we please have a doc in our area who is ME knowledgeable and does not want to high pressure sell alternative therapies? I've been on this road two decades and could own an second home with money spent on such things. I think we all just want to be treated with dignity by someone competent who will not sell us useless treatments. Your ME is not my ME and what works for me may not work for you.

nryanh94

The Dr recommended to me was Joanne Pizino in Cary. From looking at her site it seems that she focuses on a Wholistic approach, much like Dr Black

soxfan

This is interesting because I was just recommended to Dr. Lapp by my former Lyme doctor. I guess I won’t be making an appointment! I actually live in Cary NC and would appreciate if someone could give me the name of the doctor here..either by message or on the boards...

I have been unable to find anyone here that even remotely understands CFS

Sorry just saw the post above...with her name!

nryanh94

This is interesting because I was just recommended to Dr. Lapp by my former Lyme doctor. I guess I won’t be making an appointment! I actually live in Cary NC and would appreciate if someone could give me the name of the doctor here..either by message or on the boards...

I have been unable to find anyone here that even remotely understands CFS

Hey Soxfan,

I lived in apex until about a month a go. Had to move to DC. Anyway, Dr Lapp is retiring but he is going to be training a new Dr to take over for him, And Dr Black will remain on tab hunter hopkins, so you could still make an appointment. As for the Dr in Cary, her name is Joanne Pizzino at Whole Health Solutions over near the mall in cary. She has a decent understanding of CFS but if you're looking for help I wouldn't reccomend her. She goes by the approach of using a ton of supplements that you can buy at her store (convenient). I saw her about 5 times and saw no help/improvement but you may have better luck. She does reccomend IV treatment which I never was able to try, so if you could try that she may be of help. As far as her treatment she attempted to treat my high EBv/HHV6 titters that she tested for, and also attempted to treat candida overgrowth. I feel thecandida treatment helped a little but nothing noticeable other than my stool looked healthier. But she does have knowledge and as far as pricing isn't terrible. She does use homeopathy though, so if this is something you are against then I'd stay away.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions let me know

soxfan

@nryanh94..I haven’t quite decided what I am going to do. I have been sick 14 years...had Lyme treatment for six of them but went undiagnosed for two years. I fully believe the Lyme is no longer an issue but think the CFS began around 2011. I am not sure why but I definitely have it.

I saw Dr. Horowitz in NY for Lyme and he gave me lots of herbal (which they sold right there). I am not opposed to any of it but none of it has ever helped me at all.

My Lyme doctor was also homeopathic but also understood all the other issues that go along with Lyme and was willing to treat me. He was great but located in NH where I use to live.

I honestly don’t think there is much anyone can do for me. I have been on so many things and tried so many treatments I don’t think there is much left to do,
I just need to not overdue (which I do daily)..get my daily rest and live the best I can.

We have already spent thousands and thousands on doctors who don’t take insurance and are just about tapped out in that respect.

Thanks for your note...I really appreciate it. I love Apex...there is so much building going on the forests and beautiful landscape are disappearing.

nryanh94

For anyone who has been to Hunter Hopkins, do they offer antivirals for people who test positive in EBV/HHV6? What is their treatment approach outside of “staying within the energy enevelope”?

rel8ted

For anyone who has been to Hunter Hopkins, do they offer antivirals for people who test positive in EBV/HHV6? What is their treatment approach outside of “staying within the energy enevelope”?
That was never brought out as a possibility. Here's the take away for$4XX an hour times 4 for the initial visit:

@nryan94 sent you a PM

Hi- I live in Cary as well and just learned Dr. Lapp retired. My 13-year-old son has CFS (I have milder form/ more Fibro like) and am desperately searching for pediatric options.

I am open-minded about treatment options. Has anyone found a solid practioner in the Triangle area?

rel8ted

Hi- I live in Cary as well and just learned Dr. Lapp retired. My 13-year-old son has CFS (I have milder form/ more Fibro like) and am desperately searching for pediatric options.

I am open-minded about treatment options. Has anyone found a solid practioner in the Triangle area?
The practice has been purchased by another doc. Was told his wife has CFS/ME.
They are accepting new patients again.