• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Probiotics - how do you get the widest variety of good bacteria?

Plum

After seeing a few articles around recently about how beneficial gut bacteria are, the gut microbiome, faecal transplants etc., I started wondering how we can best boost and repopulate what lives in our guts.

Please post any suggestions you have here.

Best probiotic I've taken and still take is:

http://www.optibacprobiotics.co.uk/shop/for-daily-wellbeing.html

which contains:

Probiotic culture(Lactobacillus rhamnosus Rosell-11, Lactobacillus acidophilus Rosell-52, Bifidobacterium longum Rosell-175, Lactococcus lactis Rosell-1058, Bifidobacterium breveRosell-70, Bifidobacterium bifidum Rosell-71); Prebiotic: Fructooligosaccharides (FOS)

I've also read recently that plant fibres help feed the bacteria already in our gut. BUT seeing as probiotics are usually lactobacillus, how do we get other beneficial strains?

For those who've taken antibiotics, repopulating the gut completely may be necessary so how is it best to go about that?

Please, list the types of bacteria present in anything you suggest if possible so those who want to repopulate with different strains can see where to find appropriate sources.

Mij

I've been eating organic sauerkraut (unpasteurized) sea salt with added probiotics for years. I sometimes eat Kefir. I was treated for h.pylori 13yrs ago and may have had the infection for many years prior, my gut was a MESS. Now my gut is normal except for malaborption problems which is difficult to fix.

My grandmother died of stomach cancer and seeing that it may have some genetic predisposition I'll be eating sauerkraut forever.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Sauerkraut is mainly lactobacillus plantarum. It seemed to bother my gut a bit when homemade, very acidic. Most of probiotic foods are either beneficial yeasts or lactobacilli. The only way to get bifido is with some specific probiotic pills or powders like these http://www.iherb.com/Flora-Udo-s-Ch...1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=bifido&rc=52&sr=null&ic=6.

Or taking some form of bifidogenic prebiotics, which can be inulin, FOS, MOS or even http://www.iherb.com/Nutricology-Se...1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=securil&rc=1&sr=null&ic=1. Bananas have a lot of FOS!

Mij

I get my FOS from yacon syrup.

I'm not sure about making homemade sauerkraut since mold can get in it unless you are experienced, I buy mine, it's a little expensive but I only need a 1/4 cup with each meal.

I've tried all kinds of supplemental probiotics over the past decade and none have helped, fermented foods were the only ones that's helped my gut.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I never got mold, it was easy to do. Once something very agressive took over in the fermentation process (lots of bubbles) and it gave me some pains. Yeah I do agree that probiotic foods are better than pills or powder for the longer term, however for bifido and some other things they are not of much use. Maybe eating prebiotic foods.

I have taken sauerkraut, other fermented veggies, milk kefir, probiotic yogurt and water kefir. None seemed to help much (they helped a little) and over time milk kefir gave me more inflammation. I want to start water kefir again though, it is yummy and easy/cheap to do. And fermented bits of pickles and carrots taste really well.

Last edited:

SOC

I'm trying this one, but since I don't have gut problems, I can't really say if it helps with that. I just wanted a good diverse population including S. boulardii as well as FOS.

NOW Foods Probiotic Defense

Proprietary Blend Defense Blend of:
Fermented Greens
[Barley Grass (Hordeum vulgaris), Oat Grass (Avena sativa), Wheat Grass (Triticum aestivum), and Alfalfa (medicago sativa)].
Freeze-Dried Probiotics Strains (1 Billion cfu) [Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus salivarius, Lactobacillus paracasei, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium brevis, Bifidobacterium longum, and Saccharomyces boulardii]
Super Green Foods [Alfalfa Juice Concentrate, Atlantic Kelp (Laminaria digitata), and Dulse (Palmaria palmata)]

Last edited:

IreneF

I've been eating natto for several months. The microbe it contains, Bacillus subtilis, was sold as a diarrhea treatment in the US at one time, and still is in some countries, such as Vietnam.

Otherwise--kefir, miso, and a product called Align (Bifidobacterium infantis).

This combo has helped my gut, but I wonder if the natto, in particular, is too stimulating to my immune system.

Hi Plum.
I'm slowly getting some energy and cognitive skills back and it's allowing me to come out of zombie mode and 'think' again. It means I can understand, digest and retain more information. My digestive system is still not right and hasn't been for many years. Since early December I decided to focus on digestion and remove gluten and processed food wherever possible. I got sick after a virus and repeated use of antibiotics many years ago and am trying an intense re-population of beneficial flora.

Here's what I'm trying with pikkies. My exhaust emissions have never ever smelled so mild. Hahahaha

1. Lactobacillus reuteri
Fighting off harmful infections and mediating the body's immune system. Aids dental health.

2. Bifidobacterium lactis HN019
Fighting off harmful infections and mediating the body's immune system.

3. Lactobacillus gasseri OLL2716 (LG21)

4. Lactobacillus acidophilus L-92
Mediating the body's immune system.

5. Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis DN-173 010
Shortens the colonic transit time.

6. Lactobacillus acidophilus L-55
Mediating the body's immune system.

7. Lactococcus Lactis subsp. Cremoris (Caspian)
Fighting off harmful infections and increasing volume of defecation.

8. Lactobacillus delbreukii subsp. bulgaricus 2038 and Streptococcus salivarius 1131 (LB81)
Improvement in Skin properties and constipation.

9. Clostridium butyricum MIYAIRI 588
Fighting off harmful infections. Directly induces IL-10 producing macrophages and not by T cells. Proliferation effect on mucosal cells in the intestine.

10. Bifidobacterium bifidum G9-1 (BBG9-1), Streptococcus faecalis 129 BIO 3B, and Lactobacillus acidophilus KS-13 (Aka L. gasseri KS-13)
Fighting off harmful infections. Digestive regulation.

11. Bifidus, Acidophilus, Thermophilus
Generic names so no specifics except that it's my best. :)

12. Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis (BB-12)

13. Bifidobacterium longum SBT292
Fighting off harmful infections and mediating the body's immune system. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect.

14. Lactobacillus casei / casei Shirota
Fighting off harmful infections. Regulation of bowels and constipation.

15. Lactobacillus rhamnosus LGG
Fighting off harmful infections and mediating the body's immune system. Reduce anxiety through effect on GABA.

16. Lactobacillus acidophilus LA-2
Antimutagenic effect in intestine.

17. Lactococcus lactis JCM5805 (Kirin Plasma)
Activates plasmacytoid dendritic cells (pDCs) for anti-viral immunity through production of large amounts of interferons (IFNs).

18a. Bacillus subtilis (Natto Fermented Beans)
Gastrointestinal and urinary tract diseases.
Natto reallllly bloats me up.

18b. Lactobacillus kimchii and other Lactobacillus species (Kimchii fermented side dish)
All manner of boost claims. :)

19. Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp. bulgaricus OLL1073R-1
Fighting off harmful infections and mediating the body's immune system. Supposedly stimulates a large amount of extracellular polysaccharides Exopolysaccharides(ESP) for increased resistance to influenza.

20. Bifidobacterium longum BB536

21. Active Lactic Culture KEFIR
Lactobacillus Rosell-11 (Reduce proinflammatory IL-8)
Lactobacillus Rosell-52 (Maintain intestinal barrier. Fighting off harmful infections and mediating the body's immune system).
Lactobacillus Rosell-215 (Reduce proinflammatory IL-8 and increase anti-inflammatory IL-6).
Bifidobacterium Rosell-33 (Reduces inflammatory response to infections. Competes with pathogens, Helicobacter pylori and enterotoxigenic E.Coli).
Bifidobacterium Rosell-175 (Inhibits pathogens. Modulates immune response. Prevents relapse from ulcerative colitis).
S.BOULARDII (Treats diarrhea).
Bacillus subtilis Rosell-179 (Negative for toxins. Supports digestive comfort. Contributes to normal immune system).

22. Gobou Root. (Burdock)
Prebiotic feeding.

23. Konnyaku. (Devil's Tongue/Elephant Yam)
Prebiotic feeding.

pro1group.jpg

pro2group.jpg

pro3group.jpg

Plum

@Jools wowzers! What an awesome array of bugs you take! Love the photos too!

I think it's amazing how many different friendly bugs are available to take.

Do you take all of these every day?

Did you start them all at once or one by one?

xchocoholic

Anyone else getting appendix pain, or in that area, from probiotics ? I know metagenics bifido + is giving me thus but I haven't experimented with others yet.

Also, I tried curing h pylori with a whole bottle of Helios kefir everyday fir 21 days and it didn't touch it. My infection was severe after that. I didn't know i had h pylori. I just knew my gut was hurting.

Kombucha tea didn't help but it was fUN trying.

I found Blue Bonnet dairy free + fos effective fir dry mouth but only if I made coconut kefir with it. I need to work on that again.

Oh. My homemade fermented foods ended up with too much yeast or mold too. Could be from brewing kombucha tea for a year and not completely bleaching all my dishes. That stuff is hard to kill.

tc ... x

This is how I'm doing it.

1. Cut out all sugar and processed fats/carbs that feed bad strains. Also cut out gluten.
2. Take 3 - 4 types of pro-biotic product per day with a view on mixing and rotating every type a few times per month.
3. Feed them to nurture an established colony that competes with and reduces bad strains and benefits nutrient absorption and a healthier immune response.

The way I see it is each good strain can perform a differing task and colonize differing parts of the digestive tract. If a healthy digestive tract accommodates anywhere up to 1000 strains then I need to at least attempt to reintroduce some 'super' strains that have proven efficacy.

I think the course of my CFS progressed as follows:

I caught a bug and continued overdoing it when I should have rested > I was repeatedly prescribed antibiotics and wiped out my flora > My gut began to have problems and my body went through a systematic 'shutdown' > I slipped into physical and cognitive decline and stayed in 'zombie' mode for many (20+) years.

In an attempt to come back out of it I began with Dr Sarah Myhill's mitochondria recovery suggestions from May 2013. However, progress was somewhat slow up to October 2013. Soooo, I increased the Omega 3 component drastically to get a high dose of DHA/EPA. My cognitive decline was more than just concentration fatigue and I believe there was some real damage. Brain trauma patients are taking a minimum of 3000mg DHA/EPA per day and I've been on 6000mg+ through supplements and natural sources. As I started to wake up I noticed my gut issues. This had been a secondary issue as the cognitive and fatigue issues were primary. I'd just put up with it without a second thought.

My recovery steps are systematic as follows.
1. Mitochondria recovery suggestions.
2. Omega 3 to repair any damage, offer some regulation of the immune response, and to reduce inflammation.
3. Stick to a gluten free diet without processed carbs/fats.
4. Attempt to heal the digestive tract for better absorption and immune modulation through re-population and diet.

roxie60

I am using OMP's PRObiotic 225. Contains 6 strains, 225 billion CFU per serving.

Lacto plantarium
Lacto acidophilus
Lacto salivarius
Lacto casei 9hope this is not related to dairy)

Bifido lactis
Bifido bifidum

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I've been taking Ben Lynch's probiotic powder and have found it to be very effective in calming belly aches:

http://www.seekinghealth.com/probiota-12-powder-seeking-health.html

At first the price tag seems high, but I compared it to other brands available on Amazon, and when I price it out at $ per billion organisms, it's a bargain. He answers a lot of questions about this same formulation that comes in capsules:

http://www.seekinghealth.com/probiotic-supplement-probiota-12.html

He recommends a variety of strains so that one strain doesn't become dominant. Here are the strains he uses:

Lactobacillus rhamnosus 12.0+ billion CFUs **
Bifidobacterium bifidum 10.0+ billion CFUs **
Lactobacillus acidophilus 6.0+ billion CFUs **
Lactobacillus casei 5+ billion CFUs **
Lactobacillus plantarum 4.0+ billion CFUs **
Lactobacillus salivarius 4.0+ billion CFUs **
Bifidobacterium longum 2.0+ billion CFUs **
Streptococcus thermophilus 2.0+ billion CFUs **
Lactobacillus bulgaricus 2.0+ billion CFUs **
Lactobacillus paracasei 1.0+ billion CFUs **
Bifidobacterium lactis .1.0+ billion CFUs **
Bifidobacterium breve 1.0+ billion CFUs **

Information on how to take his probiotics are on the product pages.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I am using OMP's PRObiotic 225. Contains 6 strains, 225 billion CFU per serving.

Lacto plantarium
Lacto acidophilus
Lacto salivarius
Lacto casei 9hope this is not related to dairy)

Bifido lactis
Bifido bifidum
How´s that one going? It is super expensive.

@Jools you sound like you are doing it very well probiotic wise! I have envy.

Seeking health is an emerging brand that can be trusted. I asked it to be put on iherb to them.

Me, I have bought the new 25 billion Jarro Dophilus, which is the best for my shipping and economic situation. I hope it works.

knackers323

Hi jools what supplements do you use for the mitochondria?

Mutaflor probiotic contains a good e.coli (nissile)

Hi jools what supplements do you use for the mitochondria?

Hi Knackers. I can't find a direct link to a self help book she released freely online but I hope these pictures of the relevant page give you some idea what I've been trying. I changed the mineral mix to a good store bought type and don't take the injection or drop dose form and go with capsules instead.

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

@Jools
In your post you talk about a bunch of probiotics that you are taking. I'm interested in taking Lactobacillus gasseri OLL2716 (LG21) because of some of the research behind it, including this recent one: http://bmjopengastro.bmj.com/content/bmjgast/4/1/e000144.full.pdf

The problem is that I don't live in Japan and shipping a yogurt would be out of the question. Do you know if this probiotic is available in a non-yogurt form? I'm hoping to get a link to a site or eBay seller who stocks it.

The problem is that I don't live in Japan and shipping a yogurt would be out of the question. Do you know if this probiotic is available in a non-yogurt form? I'm hoping to get a link to a site or eBay seller who stocks it.

Hello Jonny, sorry for the slow response. I’ve done some checking and haven’t been able to find any other version of LG21 beyond a yoghurt carton and drink version. This specific strain seems to be patented by Meiji Company and they’re holding on to it in these two formats. I checked Rakuten International (a Japanese exommerce hub) and no one is shipping it overseas that I could find.