• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is your bowel tolerance of Vitamin C?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Resurrecting another old thread here. Ive been advised, by an M.E Dr, to take vitamin c to bowel tolerance for a bad bout of viral infection with green sputum, and then to continue at high doses for MCAS and cleansing the bowel of bad microbes.

I had never really understood how to titrate to bowel tolerance. This convo may be a little TMI.

I thought it meant that if you were taking enough then the next day you would have loose stools. The Dr explained that they wanted me to take a large dose every hour until i was literally running to the loo immediately and then titrate down until this stops.

Im not big into titrating down from massive doses of things (10g an hour suggested of Magnesium ascorbate, as i dont tolerate ascorbic acid), so im titrating up instead. The first day i took 13 1/2 g split over the day and the next day was actually constipated. The next day i took 18g in 7 doses and wasn't rushing to the loo, but this morning slightly looser stools.

So, should i be judging it on my morning stool, or as the Dr suggests on if the dose has me within the hour rushing to the loo? i wish i really understood this. Also seems a big dose of magnesium to me, but told its fine and i could take 100g a day right now to clear any infection or the virus. I wouldn't mind so much of it was just vit C, but with the magnesium as well its more of a worry.

How has everyone else done it when titrating to bowel tolerance?

I wish i could just get it intravenously - was having 50g a day, three days a week a couple of years ago at a clinic and that felt good - no adverse effects from it.

Can ypu get die off from Vit C in high doses? i took 5g in one go to begin with and felt very weird afterwards, kind f a bit dizzy and spaced.

pamojja

How has everyone else done it when titrating to bowel tolerance?

There are different limits with a single dose, and evenly spread-out doses during a whole day of ascorbic acid - which is meant with titrating to bowel-tolerance. For example, I can tolerate 10g in a single dose. And when I tested my per day bowel-tolerance many years ago, 50 g of ascorbic acid.

It is done by spreading the doses as often as convenient throughout the day. For example in my experiment I took 5 g every hour, and after 10 such doses (5x10 hrs = 50g) reached my bowel tolerance. Which is a liquid stool right after the dose which exceeded your bowel-tolerance. If you decrease the next dose usually the next bowel movement is solid again. However, already long before one feels approaching bowel-tolerance by intestinal discomfort and flatulence. Just don't stop there and proceed to the actual flush. It's very individual dosing due to individual tolerance. For example, if you could tolerate only 1g in a single dose, just take it much more often. Up to every 20 minutes. Or however tiny dose you can in a single dose.

One can't titrate to bowel-tolerance with mineral ascorbates, because in case of Mg you will get diarrhea long before because of Mg. And in case of others, especially calcium, a dangerous calcium overdose. In any case it will falsify the results.

I never felt any die-off from vitamin C ever. Have taken in average about 23g daily during the last 9 years. Titrating to bowel-tolerance only once, because I do consider it strenuous to go to ones limits that way. Just don't do it on a busy day and a toilet in reach at all times.

Last edited:

pamojja

One can't titrate to bowel-tolerance with mineral ascorbates,

If one absolutely can't tolerate any ascorbic acid (pure powder only; you don't want the fillers which come in caps or tabs at such mega-doses), the most benign would be sodium ascorbate. Less effective and not really what is meant, but still some beneficial effects. Easily made by mixing sodium bicarbonate powder with ascorbic acid in a glass of water, not more than half the weight of sodium bicarbonate to the ascorbic acid. An also good but for me too expensive alternative would be liposomal vitamin C.

justy

If one absolutely can't tolerate any ascorbic acid (pure powder only; you don't want the fillers which come in caps or tabs at such mega-doses), the most benign would be sodium ascorbate. Less effective and not really what is meant, but still some beneficial effects. Easily made by mixing sodium bicarbonate powder with ascorbic acid in a glass of water, not more than half the weight of sodium bicarbonate to the ascorbic acid. An also good but for me too expensive alternative would be liposomal vitamin C.
High doses of ascorbic acid really messed up my stomach.

The Dr i consulted knows im using magnesium ascorbate and is happy with that - but they knpw its more expensive. I was more worried about a mag overdose. But 3g every hour still isnt causing any issues, apart from my teeth started feeling weird and now my mouth is burning a little.

justy

Despite being told its safe i AM now worried about overdosing on magnesium. I mean 10g of this vit c an hour would provide 600mg of magnesium an hour!

Does anyone have any views on this? How much d people inject of magnesium?

pamojja

How much d people inject of magnesium?

Once got that answer by a medical practitioner on an other forum: http://www.longecity.org/forum/topi...odbad-research-thread/?view=findpost&p=814981

To bad LPI isn't confirming that low toxicity: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/minerals/magnesium#toxicity

Medscape maintains not to exceed 20 g of Magnesium over a 48 hr period with Mg sulfate IV's in the case of renal impairment: https://reference.medscape.com/drug/mgso4-magnesium-sulfate-344444

As I said, the least problematic and cheapest option (when mixing oneself) is sodium ascorbate. See also http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-C/supplemental-forms

Considering you can go too high with each mineral bound with ascorbates, why not use a mix of different ascorbates? With the most from sodium ascorbate.

Last edited: