• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

bad immune response to probiotics ?

patient.journey

I was given a new strong probiotics to help me re building my gut flora after years of antibiotics, gut issue and heavy white tongue coating !

i was doing good on them but after 2 weeks i had an allergic reaction to banana while i never had any allergies before that except when in the first 6 months of me getting the infection which lead me to CFS !

when i ate the banana my lips got swallow and i took an antihistamine pill and it took 2 hours to get better , 3-4 days ago i was drinking tea which i never have a problem with it and suddenly i had a moderate lips swollen , shortness of breathing and high blood pressure , took antihistamine pill and went to the ER after it , my oxygen level wasn't that bad (94-95%) then it went better after 1 hour from taking the pill so the doctor gave me 10 pills and asked me to take one daily

now its my forth day and my lips are still lil mild swollen and if am late on my pill they will get bigger and my chest will get worse !!

did those pribitoics made my immune system works wrong ? overactive which caused my allergic reaction or what ever is going on ?! it seems they are swollen even if i doesn't eat or got into anything

how to fix this ! any ideas ?

Plum

My understanding is that some probiotics contain friendly bugs which make histamine issues worse. There are certain strains you are meant to avoid if you have MCAS etc. I react badly taking a single dose of the wrong probiotic.

patient.journey

My understanding is that some probiotics contain friendly bugs which make histamine issues worse. There are certain strains you are meant to avoid if you have MCAS etc. I react badly taking a single dose of the wrong probiotic.

if i already did and it seems to cause a continues allergic reaction ! is there anything to help ?

Plum

if i already did and it seems to cause a continues allergic reaction ! is there anything to help ?
I don't know. I suppose a lot depends on whether you've added in some temporary species which have caused a short term issue or if you've caused something to happen with your normal resident / longterm bugs. As we're all different with different resident species. If I had this problem I would look into probiotics that are ok for people with things like MCAS and allergies etc. This might allow you to boost more calming friendly bacteria. These sorts of things tend to be trial and error. There will probably be articles you can read if you looked up something like 'histamine intolerance probiotics' or 'mast cell activation probiotics'. There are groups on Facebook which would be more knowledgeable.

ChrisD

About a month ago I tried out a week long plan of high dose probiotics in an attempt to rebuild my microbiome but really it had the unwanted effect of randomly having dairy intolerance for three days (Diarrhoea instantly after consuming dairy) but then that levelled out and all of sudden I started experiencing POTS/Tachycardia which I've not had as badly before. It's slowly getting better but it has drained a lot of my energy and led to other strange symptoms like poor temperature control;- sweating at night, shivering and chills in the day.

Basically I've had a really bad month and I believe its down to this attempt to correct my microbiota, and now whenever I take a probiotic capsule (I abstained for a few weeks) it re-triggers a higher level of tachycardia for hours after. So I'm not sure if I've actually given myself an allergy to them?!