• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Well here's a treat: Two videos of Ms Crawley, leading ME researcher, (!) delivering her TEDx talk

Countrygirl

This is what we have all been waiting for: a chance to watch Ms Crawley bravely following in her heroic grandfather's steps by pursuing her damaging research into very sick children despite the dangers she faces from a helpless band of bedridden patients.

With thanks to John the Jack

There are two videos on this youtube channels

ChrisD

Isn't it ironic that she should highlight the lack of funding when the her work and others from Bristol Uni have held up funding?

The first video comes across in a good light (if you don't know who EC is), making good awareness. Video 2 however is when she switches into GET mode and personally i find the way she puts her point across to be very very strange.

When talking about the triumph of completing a medical trial, to say ''This was bad news for those who tried to stop us'' is very odd - the look on her face at this point freaks me out :nervous: It's very clear to me that her agenda in her work is very much driven by pride and that she has become incredibly disassociated and far removed from the reality of ME. Why does she feel the need to persecute people who are most likely severely affected and are upset that she would run such a trial? Of course it's bad news for us, because it means that money that could have been directed to biomedical research has been used for a 'treatment' that is dangerous and has stopped other avenues and approaches.

I'm really confused about how she finds herself to be a victim in this scenario!? Has the threat letter lie been debunked yet or is it really the case that she is lying? If so it is verging on sociopathic, compulsive lying

Last edited:

Countrygirl

Hi @Countrygirl. Who was her grandfather?? Is this something she talks about in the video? I can't quite bring myself to watch her.

She opens her talk with the story of her grandfather who flew missions into France at night to support the Resistance. She relates how he gave up a place at Oxford in order to protect his children and defend the country for the good of you and me. She, of course, is just like him........a born heroine to bravely face the ire of the bedridden as she ploughs ahead with her cutting-edge science.

TreePerson

She opens her talk with the story of her grandfather who flew missions into France at night to support the Resistance. She relates how he gave up a place at Oxford in order to protect his children and defend the country for the good of you and me. She, of course, is just like him........a born heroine to bravely face the ire of the bedridden as she ploughs ahead with her cutting-edge science.
Thanks. I've been trying to work out which is the vomit emoticon.

boombachi

Thanks. I've been trying to work out which is the vomit emoticon.

face-with-open-mouth-vomiting_1f92e.png this one?

Nielk

Her entire theme is based on her grandfather - "the Right thing to Do". The way she builds up her storyline is a psychological method of sculpting the audiences views and opinions. By the time she gets to the accusation part, she has built up an image of a superwoman who against all evils, will fight and prevail - because it is the right thing to do.

Of course, it's all a distortion and based on a skewing of facts, but the audience doesn't know that. Not knowing the other side of the story, how can the audience not sympathize with her. Regardless of all the abuse she says she has been a victim of - she still prevails because ...children.

For those who know the facts though, she is a pathetic manipulator.

Ember

Explains a lot. Methinks a decent psychologist could have a field day with this.
Dr. Crawley recalls her traumatic childhood:
When I was a child, I didn’t want to be brave like him. But although my childhood was loving and mostly happy, I was often forced to do very terrifying things or face rejection by my father. For example, he took me swimming in a typhoon when I was eleven, and I swept out to sea. And I remember very clearly being on the bottom of the sea floor, looking up what felt like miles to the sky, wondering if I would survive and wondering what my life would be like.
What did Dr. Crawley learn? “As a grownup, I’ve had to reconcile that, and I’ve had to forgive. And I think it’s probably a good thing that I don’t scare easily. But if I could, I would take away those experiences of my childhood because I really believe that children shouldn’t be forced to be brave.”

Last edited:

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Her grandfather would be proud of her for harming children by using ineffective and/or harmful treatments?
Is she getting back at humanity for almost drowning and having a stern father?
Why is it abusers who complain about things like being stalked and defamed. Are they so afraid that people won't believe their lies that they need to cover for them by claiming victimization?
I agree with her grandfather, she should do what is right, stop pushing lies or move on to a a field that needs her talents such as homeopathy or phrenology

Forbin

Persevering in the face of the objections of others is not, in and of itself, necessarily a virtue. You have to be aware of what the objections are in order to judge.

She never mentions the nature of her trial, what was being tested, or the basis of her detractors' objections. Never-the-less, the audience applauds her dedication and "success."

For all the audience knows, the trial could have involved Ouija boards, tarot cards and leeches, and yet they still would have given her a rousing ovation for her brave triumph over her detractors.

Last edited:

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
For all the audience knows, the trial could have involved Ouija boards, tarot cards and leeches, and yet they still would have given her a raousing ovation for her triumph over her detractors.
I noticed that too, but we know what she is about and we are the victims (i mean target market)

wastwater

It seemed alright to me she was wanting more research into me/cfs
She should move away from things like lightning thearpy and concentrate on things like genetics and b cells ect

Last edited: