• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Younger: Cutting Edge Research plus talk

Countrygirl

]https://selfhacked.com/blog/dr-jare...ch-on-cfs-neuroinflammation-pain-and-fatigue/

Dr Younger has published studies on CFS, Fibromyalgia and pain. He has some unique insights on CFS and chronic inflammation. His study was the one that showed leptin was like a trigger of fatigue in CFS.

CONTENTS [HIDE]

Introduction
I am very excited to interview Dr. Jarred Younger. He received his PhD in Experimental Psychophysiology at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. He completed his post-doctoral fellowship at Arizona State University and the Stanford University of Medicine, before taking an assistant professor position at Stanford.

In 2014, he joined the faculty at the University of Alabama-Birmingham. His goal is to end the chronic pain and fatigue caused by the inflammation in the brain. He is currently funded by the NIH, the Department of Defense, and several nonprofit agencies to develop techniques for diagnosing and treating neuroinflammation, pain, and fatigue.

https://soundcloud.com/joe-cohen-8/...esearch-on-neuroinflammation-pain-and-fatigue

Leptin and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Q: Can you tell us about your study on leptin and chronic fatigue syndrome?

JY: Yeah. What we did originally, we didn’t know, but we suspected it was an immune, inflammatory-driven problem, just from looking at other literature. So we did daily blood draws for 25 days, which no one ever does.

So, as far as I know, we’re the first to ever try this and people thought that we were crazy. You have to use really good nurses and really really tiny needles to pull this off. If you’re good, you can actually get people to come in every day and their arms look pretty okay at the end of 25 days-believe it or not. So we took these blood draws and we looked at 50 different inflammatory markers; and in both chronic fatigue syndrome and in pain, which I haven’t published. In fact, that was just accepted. Probably, that’s going to come out, probably in the next week. So now we see in chronic pain, fibromyalgia as well, the same thing: leptin is the best predictor of good days and bad days. So, if the leptin in your blood is high, you’re going to have a severe fatigue day or a severe pain day. If it’s low, that’s a relatively good day. And that’s probably the case for at least three-fourths of the people in this study. So, the majority show that leptin and pain or fatigue relationship. We weren’t looking for it in particular at first, but it came out in both studies and now it’s something we’re going to start focusing on because it doesn’t look like a coincidence. Something’s going on.

(Me): That’s really interesting.

Question: So, what do you think is the mechanism over there where leptin increases and the fatigue scores increase?

Diwi9

Administrator
I like that Dr. Younger is targeting treatment. He's asking the question "what will help" with the hope of determining "why it helps" after he finds something.

I also like that he is a young researcher and focussed on solution-based therapies, in lieu of coping therapies.

voner

Go on Dr Younger, this is really cool stuff! :D

i agree. my podcast app says that the interview was recorded back at the end of March 2016, so maybe it's time for somebody to re-interview him. It certainly is a wide ranging and informative interview. I really appreciate that he is emphasizing communication with the patient community and he is willing to speculate. thanks, @Countrygirl for posting it.