• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Esther Crawley TEDxBristol Disrupting Your View Of ME

Keela Too

Sally Burch

Dechi

I don’t know Esther Crawley. Can someone explain in 2-3 sentences what the problem is with her ? Thanks

Solstice

I don’t know Esther Crawley. Can someone explain in 2-3 sentences what the problem is with her ? Thanks

Her science resides mostly in the made-up and get's people with ME sicker, which is worse cause she mostly targets kids. When kids don't improve they get the blame and get an alternative diagnosis. She get's mad and smears patients when she's confronted about it.

Large Donner

Oh ye and she is a peadiatrician and threatens families with social services etc if their kids don't recover by standing on pieces of magic paper whilst chanting stop at their ME symptoms. At which point she re diagnoses them with Pervasive Refusal Syndrome.

She also goes around telling audiences that she was sent a threatening email which was actually just a made up piece of art work for the Sunday Times, that only truly existed in the imagination of the artist who designed it.

Somehow despite all this and hosting a talk called "a day with the muppets", relating to children with ME, she is deputy head of the Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME Medical Research Council.

Ye you couldn't make it up, and I didn't.

Countrygirl

@Large Donner She sound like a wonderful person ! :bang-head:

She also to my knowledge was involved with seizing a child who failed to recover from her mother and forced her to endure vigorous physiotherapy for several days as an inpatient. As a result the child was left paralysed and was dumped on the mother while EC washed her hands of her and took no responsibility for the devastating harm she had inflicted on the child and family.

char47

She also to my knowledge was involved with seizing a child who failed to recover from her mother and forced her to endure vigorous physiotherapy for several days as an inpatient. As a result the child was left paralysed and was dumped on the mother while EC washed her hands of her and took no responsibility for the devastating harm she had inflicted on the child and family.
:eek::cry::mad:

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I hope there was a lawsuit and lifetime care compensation involved.

I'm posting this as my first post here. I care for my partner full time, who has severe ME/CFS.

This is a copy of an email I've sent to info@tedxbristol.com (hope I didn't make too many errors!), not that I think it'll do any good by the sounds of it!

-------------
Dear TEDx Bristol,

This email is regarding Esther Crawley’s talk on the 2nd November. Forgive the long email, as this is an important subject.....

----------

I would very much like to know whether you receive an answer to this or not. I have tweeted @TedXBristol more than once recently to point out the misuse of an image by Esther Crawley and to request contact details for someone to complain to. TXB have, as yet, failed to reply and I'm not expecting them to. I believe that Ted itself is more 'contactable' but since TX is an offshoot, there seems to be little accountability.

ukxmrv

I would very much like to know whether you receive an answer to this or not. I have tweeted @TedXBristol more than once recently to point out the misuse of an image by Esther Crawley and to request contact details for someone to complain to. TXB have, as yet, failed to reply and I'm not expecting them to. I believe that Ted itself is more 'contactable' but since TX is an offshoot, there seems to be little accountability.

I sent am email to the info@ address and have a reply to say it was received but that's it so far.

Deepwater

No. Nothing. No action to be taken. Of course. Despite complaints to the relevant body.

When you do the Establishment's bidding you are awarded a damehood.

What you have to remember is that the Establishment has not believed ME is a real illness - it is something imagined by the patient. So when the patient becomes worse or paralysed, that is not real either and nobody needs to be punished for it except the patient.

J.G

Ugh, her bio is positively appalling. Positioning herself as the patients' messiah and lashing out at critics all in the space of two paragraphs - how does TEDx permit such obviously partisan nonsense to deface their pages? Don't they background-check their speakers? Or does Crawley somehow have the inside track? I sure hope not.

For what it's worth, I've written TED's press department to protest against the bio. I doubt I'll receive a response, but if I do, I'll post it here.

Ugh, her bio is positively appalling. Positioning herself as the patients' messiah and lashing out at critics all in the space of two paragraphs - how does TEDx permit such obviously partisan nonsense to deface their pages? Don't they background-check their speakers? Or does Crawley somehow have the inside track? I sure hope not.

For what it's worth, I've written TED's press department to protest against the bio. I doubt I'll receive a response, but if I do, I'll post it here.

I still have not received a reply, over Twitter, from TedX Bristol. I don't expect one but it will underline (to me) that they appear to be unaccountable and are merely interested in being 'controversial' for the sake of it.

I will pursue this.

J.G

Update: no reply. None expected at this point.

Last edited:

Countrygirl

I have just posted a thread on EC's talk under the heading of Mood Disorders (!) where she is talking on paediatric CFS and new research on adult ME on Friday at Exeter University at noon until 1 pm. It is open to all I think.

Anyone like to attend?