• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Resisting Attempts to Silence #PwME"

Nielk

Resisting Attempts to Silence #PwME

Methods of Silencing Dissent to Control a Specific Agenda
Globally, government agencies and officials as well as private sector companies, and organizations use known astroturfing and silencing methods to achieve their intended goals. They use media to spread propaganda to manipulate opinions. They employ specific tactics to squash dissent to institute their desired agenda.

In the myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) community, this method of controlling a specific intention is used by government health agencies, medical interest groups, and those supporting them. They advance the false narrative that ME is not a distinct disease but, a collection of fatiguing conditions. They also perpetuate the myth that ME is imagined – a functional somatic condition.

This government deceit harms people with ME (pwME). The underhanded conflation of ME with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), chronic fatigue (CF), and psychosomatic conditions results in falsely depicting the disease as a benign condition, possibly just in the mind of the patients. The medical community has therefore in the main dismissed this ‘vague condition,’ neglecting to care or study it.

Read blog here - https://relatingtome.net/2017/11/01/resisting-attempts-to-silence-pwme/

IThinkImTurningJapanese

@Nielk There was a post many years ago, on Reddit I believe. It referred to Companies hiring master debaters to join forums and manipulate the public perception. Peer pressure is a powerful force.

I find this particularly disturbing because of the potential for open communication, worldwide, to advance the knowledge and relations of humankind. Kind of a lofty sentence, but I think this issue is deserving of such accolades.

That is an excellent article you have done, and for that I want to give you a very special thanks.

Domo Arigatou Gozaimashita

Sharyl Attkisson

Nielk

@Nielk There was a post many years ago, on Reddit I believe. It referred to Companies hiring master debaters to join forums and manipulate the public perception. Peer pressure is a powerful force.

I find this particularly disturbing because of the potential for open communication, worldwide, to advance the knowledge and relations of humankind. Kind of a lofty sentence, but I think this issue is deserving of such accolades.

That is an excellent article you have done, and for that I want to give you a very special thanks.

Domo Arigatou Gozaimashita

Sharyl Attkisson

Thank you.

I agree that this is such an important topic, especially today when we are bombarded with articles, blogs, videos on all social media outlets. There is a definitive attempt to control opinion, whether in politics or the private sector. Psychological studies have shown that it is actually easy to sway views and those who are knowledgeable about effective tactics can gain attention and power.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I agree that this is such an important topic, especially today when we are bombarded with articles, blogs, videos on all social media outlets.

I feel this way about health news. We are learning so much about healthy living, but so many people seem overwhelmed and simply dismiss concerns with, "well everything's bad for you".

Ember