• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unrest event for medics in Sheffield

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
*The event is free but donations are welcome with proceeds going to Sheffield ME Group

*The Panel for the Q&A consists of:

Chair is Dr Liz Walton - an academic GP with an interest in ME/CFS

Dr Charles Shepherd - Honorary Medical Advisor to the ME Association

Victoria Strassheim - ME/CFS researcher University of Newcastle

Ms Anne Nichol Sheffield ME/CFS Service Managerhttps://shsc.nhs.uk/service/chronic-fatigue-syndromemyalgic-encephalomyelitis-cfsme-service/

Ms Diana Shapiro Carer of severe sufferer

Prof Annalena Venneri - Professor and researcher into ME/CFS University of Sheffieldhttp://sitran.org/people/venneri/

Prof Chris Burton Professor of Primary Medical Care University of Sheffield

NelliePledge

Found this by prof Venneri. Haven't watched through you can't see the slides so hard to concentrate which is ironic given the topic.

Yogi

ALERT: CHRIS BURTON.

Need to keep an eye on this one.

What is his position on ME. Has he completely changed and renounced his previous position.

I have forewarned about the BPSers and how they may try to do subvert the Unrest campaign.

The 'misinterpreted by patients' authors of the UK CBT/GET PACE Trial MIchael Sharpe and Peter White. And the 'misinterpreted' Per Fink and Francis Creed.

http://admin.cambridge.org/academic/subjects/medicine/mental-health-psychiatry-and-clinical-psychology/medically-unexplained-symptoms-somatisation-and-bodily-distress-developing-better-clinical-services#

July 2011

Medically Unexplained Symptoms, Somatisation and Bodily Distress
Developing Better Clinical Services

Francis Creed, Arthur Barsky, Kari Ann Leiknes, Peter Henningsen, Per Fink, Constanze Hausteiner-Wiehle, Winfried Rief, Kurt Kroenke, Alka Gudi, Peter White, Chris Burton, Jef de Bie, Wolfgang Söllner, Kurt Fritzsche, Christian Fazekas, Michael Sharpe, Gudrun Schneider, Sing Lee, Athula Sumipathala, Emma Weisblatt, Peter Hindley, Charlotte Rask, Christina van der Feltz, Else Guthrie, Andreas Schröder, Peter White, Astrid Larisch, Richard Byng

Medically unexplained symptoms and somatisation are the fifth most common reason for visits to doctors in the USA, and form one of the most expensive diagnostic categories in Europe. The range of disorders involved includes irritable bowel syndrome, chronic widespread pain and chronic fatigue syndrome. This book reviews the current literature, clarifies and disseminates clear information about the size and scope of the problem, and discusses current and future national and international guidelines. It also identifies barriers to progress and makes evidence-based recommendations for the management of medically unexplained symptoms and somatisation. Written and edited by leading experts in the field, this authoritative text defines international best practice and is an important resource for psychiatrists, clinical psychologists, primary care doctors and those responsible for establishing health policy.

• Provides guidance about management of medically unexplained symptoms, filling the gap between theoretical insights and practical implementation

• Based on an initiative of a working group of the European Association of Consultation Liaison Psychiatrists and Psychosomatics, drawing together international expert knowledge

Apologies if this has been already been noted.
It looks as though the paper will be discussed in Sweden on 17 June:

E. Chronic fatigue syndrome
Chairs: Bernd Löwe, Peter White

Authors

Title

ML Joustra, I Minovic, KAM Janssens, SJL Bakker, JGM Rosmalen

Vitamin and mineral status in chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis

TE Williams, L Pangiotopoulou, T Chalder, M Sharpe, PD White

Is chronic fatigue syndrome heterogeneous? A review of the literature and new study of the lumping versus splitting debate for functional somatic syndromes

LV Clark, P McCrone, D Ridge, A Cheshire, M Vergara-Williamson, F Pesola, et al.

Graded Exercise Therapy guided Self-hElp Treatment (GETSET) for patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: a randomised controlled trial in secondary care

Anna Cheshire, D Ridge, L Clark, P White

Why patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis improve or deteriorate with graded exercise therapy

http://eapm2016.com/sessions/

There are several other sessions at this meeting that are of concern - among them....

E. Chronic fatigue syndrome: an update on mechanisms and implications for treatment
Chair: Simon Wessely

Authors

Title

Megan Roerink

Is postural orthostatic tachycardia a useful diagnostic marker in chronic fatigue syndrome patients?

S Fischer, J Strahler, C Markert, MB Kappert, U Nater

Psychoendocrine alterations in individuals with chronic fatigue syndrome

R Strawbridge, M-L Sartor, AH Young, AJ Cleare

Is chronic fatigue syndrome an inflammatory disorder?

S Kempke

Personality and chronic fatigue syndrome: a biopsychosocial perspective

C. Physical symptom disorders / MUS: a roadmap for future research into primary care interventions
Chairs: Chris Burton, Tim Olde Hartman

Authors

Title

M Rosendal

The classification of MUS from a primary care perspective

C Burton, S Chowdhury

Outcome measures for intervention trials in somatic symptom disorders

M Wortman, TC olde Hartman, P Lucassen, WJJ Assendelft

Lessons from a randomised pilot trial of a new intervention for MUS in primary care

A Aamland, A Fosse, E. Ree, E Abildsnes, K Malterud

General practitioners successful strategies in managing patients with medically unexplained symptoms (MUS). A focus-group study

http://www.psychosomatika-cls.cz/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Newsletter_EAPM_December_2016.pdf

EAMP Newsletter 2016

4. Scientific initiatives:

EAPM supports European COST Action Initiative
Bernd Löwe

Bodily Distress Syndromes including Somatic Symptom Disorders, Somatoform Disorders, Somatization Disorders, Medically Unexplained Symptoms or Functional Disorders are serious, complex and common medical problems of unknown aetiology and pathogenesis. Low recognition rates and long durations of untreated illness contribute to severe impairments in quality of life and high rates of chronic courses. To date, there is no agreement on medical guidelines throughout Europe, in some countries there are no guidelines or specialized treatment options at all. Current treatment is primarily symptom-oriented and based on medication which proved to have a modest effect on the symptoms. The health care costs associated with Bodily Distress Syndromes are comparable to depressive and anxiety disorders.

Research efforts in the field of Bodily Distress Syndromes are currently fragmented and scattered across Europe. A common European research agenda and the inclusion of underrepresented European countries is urgently needed.

The EURONET-SOMA initiative – a nationally funded conference series on two occasions in 2016 initiated by Bernd Löwe and his team from Hamburg, Germany - was an important first step to bring together leading experts in the field to provide the necessary framework for a European network. An expert panel of 29 experienced researchers from 9 European countries (the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Latvia, Belgium, United Kingdom, Germany, and Russia) presented their recent research projects and state-of-the-art clinical procedures. The EURONET-SOMA participants agreed to jointly apply for a COST Action.

The main aim of the proposed COST Action will be the establishment of a sustainable integrated network of researchers in Europe working in the field of Bodily Distress Syndromes. The network will tackle persisting research challenges arising from a lack of known aetiology and common understanding of Bodily Distress Syndromes, from deficits in diagnostic and treatment processes and high associated socio-economic costs. The network aims to foster a multidisciplinary and multinational pan-European network of research experts, clinicians, patients and policy makers. The EAPM strongly supports this initiative. Requests for further information may be directed to Isabel Winter, Administrator of the EAPM, contact@eapm.eu.com.

-----------------------------------

http://www.rug.nl/research/portal/activities/euronetsoma(e42b9a9c-15b7-4611-aaaf-3fda851bf93f).html

EURONET-SOMA
Conference participation › Participation in conference

Judith Rosmalen - Speaker, 3-Nov-2016

Update Summerschool and MOOC
Conference Title EURONET-SOMA
Period 02/11/2016 → 04/11/2016
City Hamburg
Country Germany

---------------------------------

In Press

J Psychosom Res. 2017 Apr 7. pii: S0022-3999(17)30384-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychores.2017.04.003. [Epub ahead of print]

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._report_of_the_EURONET-SOMA_conference_series

Weigel A1, Hüsing P1, Kohlmann S1, Lehmann M1, Shedden-Mora M1, Toussaint A1, Löwe B2; EURONET-SOMA Group.

A European research network to improve diagnosis, treatment and care for patients with persistent somatic symptoms: Work report of the EURONET-SOMA conference series

(...)

"...Practitioners in psychosomatic medicine are faced with the new diagnosis of “Somatic Symptom Disorder” in DSM-5 [8] and the suggested “Bodily Distress Disorder” in ICD-11 [9,10] which both no longer exclude the existence of underlying medical conditions."

"EURONET-SOMA successfully brought leading European experts in the field of persistent somatic symptoms together."

"Suggestions to face this challenge included to synthesize current conceptual models, definitions and etiology models and to develop recommendations for further interdisciplinary and multi-method research. Furthermore, there was consent between the EURONET-SOMA experts about the urgent need for a common and interdisciplinary agreement on the diagnostic classification for persistent somatic symptoms. This includes a consent on practical, valid, and comparable measures to assess persistent somatic symptom diagnosis and severity across European countries as well as recommendations for core outcome domains for clinical trials on persistent somatic symptoms. From a treatment perspective prevention programs, personalized and targeted treatment programs as well as online and public health interventions are promising approaches but still in their infancies. It is a challenge to identify key risk and protective factors for the development and chronic manifestation of somatic symptoms as well as barriers to early treatment."

"We believe that EURONETSOMA was an important first step and has the potential to further contribute to a common understanding of the terminology, conceptualization and management of persistent somatic symptoms as well as to obtain a fundamental etiological knowledge about the issue to increase the effectiveness of preventive approaches and early treatment interventions. In the long run, we hope to transfer knowledge regarding persistent somatic symptoms between different medical disciplines and clinical psychology as well as from research into clinical practice and make diagnostic procedures, treatment solutions and outcomes comparable across Europe. Thereby, we hope to prevent patients from iatrogenic harm due to unnecessary examinations and provide them with appropriate health care."

(...)

Participants of the EURONET-SOMA Group in alphabetical order:

Gunta Ancane, Marie Bendix, Manfred Beutel, Chris Burton, Francis Creed, Paul Enck, Per Fink, Lisbeth Frostholm, Harald Gündel, Peter Henningsen, Paul Hüsing, Chris Kenedi, Ksenya Khohlova, Maria Kleinstäuber, Sebastian Kohlmann, Willem J. Kop, Claas Lahmann, Marco Lehmann, Bernd Löwe, Ulrik Malt, Krzysztof Małyszczak, Alexandra Martin, Nadine Pohontsch, Winfried Rief, Judith Rosmalen, Joanna Rymaszewska, Heribert Sattel, Andreas Schröder

charles shepherd

Thanks to the Sheffield ME group - who are paying for my overnight stay!

I think there may still be a few seats left for the screening at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine tomorrow (Thursday 2nd) where Jonathan Edwards and myself will be on the Q and A Panel

CS

ukxmrv

I think there may still be a few seats left for the screening at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine tomorrow (Thursday 2nd) where Jonathan Edwards and myself will be on the Q and A Panel

CS

Thanks Charles,

Anyone else on the panel (and not saying that yourself and JE will not be enough of a draw!)

charles shepherd

Thanks Charles,

Anyone else on the panel (and not saying that yourself and JE will not be enough of a draw!)

Some members of the Biobank team will also be on the Panel at the LSHTM screening

Not sure who, but one or more from - Luis Nacul, Eliana Lacerda, Caroline Kingdon and Jackie Cliff

I think we have about 200 people booked in so far - but there may still be a few last minute seats available

CS

CS
Delighted to help. When I heard that you had offered your time, I was determined that the means would be found. When I visited the hotel (it is a nice one) the manager generously, and immediately, offered your room and full English breakfast FOC. Sheffield ME and Fibromyalgia Group kindly found a way to fund the rest of your expenses.
Although this event is not organised by the ME Group, they will have a stand at the venue and a member of the group will be on the panel.
Unfortunately, although I really wanted to be on the panel at this event, I'm unable to accept my invitation, as I won't be in the UK on the day.
The ME Group's own screening is later today and I will be on theirs.