• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which prominent London NHS hospitals do a hydrogen breath test for SIBO?

Fogbuster

I seem to remember the Chelsea and Westminster hospital do Hydrogen breath tests. For me if I could somehow get a referral to here, it would help verify my SIBO diagnosis from BioLab tests a couple of years ago. Would that be simple to do with a doctor?

I really need to do this test through the NHS, as that in itself will help make SIBO more real to me and the people supporting me. It'll defintely help it be perceived as a genuine condition, rather than being a "quacky diagnosis".

Also, if there are any hospitals in London which will do a hydrogen breath test based on symptoms and a simple referral through a doctor (rather than through a gastro), then please do let me know? Thanks. :)

ukxmrv

St Mary's in Paddington used to be a breath test for SIBO but I can't remember what it was called exactly. Referral was though my GP to a Gastro there and he arranged the test. SIBO was certainly something they took very seriously but it's been over 5 years since I was last seen there so no idea if they are still doing so.

TrixieStix

I seem to remember the Chelsea and Westminster hospital do Hydrogen breath tests. For me if I could somehow get a referral to here, it would help verify my SIBO diagnosis from BioLab tests a couple of years ago. Would that be simple to do with a doctor?

I really need to do this test through the NHS, as that in itself will help make SIBO more real to me and the people supporting me. It'll defintely help it be perceived as a genuine condition, rather than being a "quacky diagnosis".

Also, if there are any hospitals in London which will do a hydrogen breath test based on symptoms and a simple referral through a doctor (rather than through a gastro), then please do let me know? Thanks. :)
You can do SIBO testing thru the mail here in the US. My doctor at Open Medinicine Clinic wanted me to do it but I declined. The companies send you a kit in the mail that has vials that trap your breath and you send them back for analysis.

Fogbuster

You can do SIBO testing thru the mail here in the US. My doctor at Open Medinicine Clinic wanted me to do it but I declined. The companies send you a kit in the mail that has vials that trap your breath and you send them back for analysis.

Thanks. But as I said above, I want to go through the medical system instead, so my family can get more on board with the testing and diagnosis.

Fogbuster

St Mary's in Paddington used to be a breath test for SIBO but I can't remember what it was called exactly. Referral was though my GP to a Gastro there and he arranged the test. SIBO was certainly something they took very seriously but it's been over 5 years since I was last seen there so no idea if they are still doing so.

Thanks, I guess it looks like I might have to do it through a gastro. I'm a little apprehensive about talking with my doc, as he's not the type who is up to date with SIBO, intestinal permeability etc.

TrixieStix

Thanks. But as I said above, I want to go through the medical system instead, so my family can get more on board with the testing and diagnosis.
I understand. I actually tried to find a doctor or clinic where I could do it in person instead of thru the mail and found out that no one was offering the test in-person anymore where I live. The doctors offices I contacted told me they no longer offered in-person SIBO testing at their offices because it had been replaced by the mail-in SIBO tests.

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but just wondering if you managed to get a referral for SIBO, and if so where to? I have a positive breath test that I did privately, but I’m struggling to get my GP to refer me to a gastro. Would be great to know where in London is best!