• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

any new exciting research?

notmyself

any glimpse of hope ? is the research moving in the right direction?..i can't find anything on the web, except ussual bulshit,but maybe i don t know where to look..does something notable happen latelly? :)

ivorin

helperofearth123

ivorin

What does this mean? There was another study that I thought showed that the problem was in the blood not the mitochondria after all and now this one is pointing out mitochondria again. Is the type of cell they are looking at being a blood cell of any significance?
That's the right question. They haven't tested the cells inside the serum, nor have they tested cells other than blood cells. They intend to follow-up with a larger scale study that should look into muscle cells, then we will know more of how this correlates with Davis' "something in the serum".

AdamS

What does this mean? There was another study that I thought showed that the problem was in the blood not the mitochondria after all and now this one is pointing out mitochondria again. Is the type of cell they are looking at being a blood cell of any significance?

They were looking at PBMCs (peripheral blood mononuclear cells). Mitochondria are mentioned because Oxidative phosphorylation usually takes place inside them, this study seemed to find/validate that there are issues with the OXPHOS pathway in ME/CFS patients which could explain why our cells fail to meet energetic demands.

From Wiki:

A peripheral blood mononuclear cell (PBMC) is any peripheral blood cell having a round nucleus. These cells consist of lymphocytes (T cells, B cells, NK cells) and monocytes, whereas erythrocytes and platelets have no nuclei, and granulocytes (neutrophils, basophils, and eosinophils) have multi-lobed nuclei.

Edit: Agreed though, this study doesn't really uncover WHY the OXPHOS pathway is broken.

Wishful

It also doesn't prove that the mitochondrial dysfunction is part of the cause of ME/CFS, or just a side effect. My poll about stamina in the PEM/Fatigue forum so far shows that I'm unique in not suffering from reduced stamina, but that still doesn't answer the question of whether the mito dysfunction is cause or effect.