• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Emergency, Please Help

joejack102

E.R. doctors have not been able to assist me.

As I've posted previously, from childhood onward I used to be extremely sensitive to meds, but this was reversed by using CDP-Choline and Choline Bitartrate. My emergency is that months ago I used too much of it, and it caused a permanent shift in the balance and functioning of my body/nervous system/etc. I desperately need to know how to reverse what I did. I am in so much fatigue and so ill that I am about to have trouble breathing. Is there a chance the members of this message board community can join together to assist me in figuring out how to reverse what the Choline did to me? I am extremely desperate and at your mercy. Even after discontinuing use, the pain and suffering caused has continued, and it's not from toxicity. It's from some methylation block or perhaps some other imbalance, but I know for a fact that my problem started when my sensitivities disappeared due to Choline usage. Please help.

joejack102

I tried. But I need to keep trying, and I'm so ill that my brain isn't working well and I feel like I don't have energy to keep explaining it over and over to doctors. I'm truly desperate for some help. I believe the solution will be over-the-counter since this was caused by an over-the-counter version of Choline.

Last edited:

Mel9

I tried. But I need to keep trying, and I'm so ill that my brain isn't working well and I don't have energy to keep explaining it over and over. I'm truly desperate for some help. I believe the solution will be over-the-counter since this was caused by an over-the-counter version of Choline.

Sorry for you- I wonder if @Hip might have some ideas?

Dmitri

What do you mean by using too much of it? Was it a single overdose or chronic overuse?

I wonder whether anticholinergic drugs would be beneficial or harmful for this.

joejack102

It was not toxicity. Day after day the more my body was exposed to Choline, I went further from being overly sensitive to meds to being under sensitive to meds to where nothing works right and I’m in severe agony and fatigue.

Anticholinergic stuff made me sick. Benadryl also caused nerve pain over my entire body. Huge negative reaction. I think a “pathway” is genetically blocked. And it’s like a tetter-totter. It was out of balance before. And it’s out of balance now in the opposite way.

Gingergrrl

so ill that I am about to have trouble breathing.

Do you mean that you are having respiratory depression or something else? If you Google this you'd get a better description than I could give.

Are you able to inhale a deep breath or is your diaphragm muscle too weak?

Also is it positional (ex: you can breathe lying flat but not when you stand)?

NotThisGuy

joejack102

I shouldn’t have said breathing. But I meant that there feels like such a depletion of energy in my body that it doesn’t seem safe. And that even simple things like breathing use energy and take effort. My airways do not seem blocked.

I have tried both regular B12 and Methyl-B12 and there were definitely not positive reactions.

joejack102

I wish I had a better understanding of all the pathways like the Folate cycle, Methylation cycles, Urea cycle, etc.

Using Choline affected of these. And I have yet to figure out how to reverse it.

http://suzycohen.com/articles/snpsmethylation/

This article from Suzy Cohen seems SPOT ON, but I’m still not certain which genetic pathway went wrong with me. My DNA results at 23andme will not be processed for at least another 5 weeks.

Gingergrrl

I shouldn’t have said breathing. But I meant that there feels like such a depletion of energy in my body that it doesn’t seem safe. And that even simple things like breathing use energy and take effort. My airways do not seem blocked.

Thx for clarifying and I was concerned when you posted twice that it was an emergency and mentioned breathing b/c I have been there in that moment trying to decide if necessary to go to the ER (but thank God am no longer as severe)!

I was also trying choline. I think one possible problem with choline could be that it increases methylation of homocysteine in the middle pathway and this might reduce cysteine synthesis from homocysteine. Cysteine is needed for glutathione, B5 activation, taurine,.. So I think choline might reduce glutathione like that.

I take vitamin B2 and B3 and tolerate them well. They both help recycle glutathione. With normal B12 you mean hydroxoB12? I also take that and it helps, but it seems there are individual differences when tolerating supplements.

pattismith

wdb

If you are having some sort of emergency I'd advise you to talk to doctors not random forum members, what did the doctors tell you ?

Are you aware this methylation cycle theory was really just a proposal by Rich van Konynenburg, there is so far little supporting evidence beyond anecdotes and an arguably plausible hypothesis of the mechanism by which it could work.

RvK was not a doctor as far asI know and what I have read of his posts seemed to be pure speculations, and rather muddled ones at that. Why should anyone take him seriously when he never actually published anything on this? Where do the facts come from?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mary Poppins

75% Smurf
I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance. Perhaps you might contact the ER? I hope you find relief soon. Please keep in touch. :)

joejack102

Choline may deplete B12, B6, B9. Did you try Hydroxo B12 injections?

I’ve tried cyanocobalamin (B12) and Methylcobalamin (Methy B12) as well as Methyl-Folate. I assume if it was the missing link I would have felt something positive. But instead I think it made me feel bad. I feel like I gave it a thorough attempt, and it didn’t help.

joejack102

Wdb, I don’t believe any doctors locally even know what methylation is, certainly don’t seem to be willing to help regarding this, and have an elementary level understanding of over-the-counter supplements. I feel like I’m at a dead end.

I feel like the E.R. doesn’t treat the symptoms, and doesn’t know what to do. I went Monday.