• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My MTHFR Mutations

Fred Smith

All of Your Other Mutations
Now we are going to look at all of your mutations. You do not necessarily need to worry about all of these mutations, but certain mutations may cause problems in certain individuals. Genetic Genie does not look at the expression of your genes, it only looks at specific gene SNPs. Keep in mind that even if you are homozygous or heterozygous for a certain mutations, it doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem with the functioning of that gene. You have 2 homozygous (+/+) mutations and 4 heterozygous (+/-) mutations.

Here are your homozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):

• COMT V158M
  • COMT H62H
Here are your heterozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):

• VDR Bsm
  • VDR Taq
  • MTRR A66G
  • BHMT-02
here are my results

wbBehX1.png

Can anyone help me should I be worried about these mutations? what do they mean? Im new to this stuff so I dont know much thanks for any help. Do I need to supplement with anything? are my results normal?

Last edited:

CedarHome

There is a lot of info on PR about SNPs.
You could go to the search page and look up results.... here is just one thread, there are many others. Somewhere there's a thread on how to search PUBMED for specific SNPs.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...e-and-comt-supplementation.53456/#post-887919

Personally, I found the Strategene report pretty informative. All info is based on published research.
http://go.strategene.org/genetic-analysis/

From what I've read, the SNPs themselves are less important than nutrition and environment.

If you can find a provider who understands them, great (there is a list on Ben Lynch's website)... Ben Lynch also has a video series.
http://go.strategene.org/genetic-analysis/

Good luck!

Fred Smith

All these stuff is confusing me ;(.. Anyone that is expert when it comes to these kind of stuff that can tell me what my results mean and if I should supplement anything for them?

Last edited:

Learner1

As @CedarHome pointed out, your environment has a lot of influence on how our genes express themselves.

Given what you've shared, you may wish to check your vitamin D level once in awhile and supplement as you need to.

And, most importantly, it would be worthwhile to learn about COMT, which very well could affect your health. Ben Lynch has a video on it and there are many descriptions across the web.

alicec

Can anyone help me should I be worried about these mutations?

No.

These are common and widespread genetic variants, many of which have no effect. A few have small effects.

The variants that Genetic Genie focuses on are those which Amy Yasko is interested in. Her claims about these various SNPs have generated an enormous amount of internet chatter but almost all of the SNPs she has singled out for "treatment" do nothing whatsoever and don't need any treatment.

Her claims are frequently contrary to published research or are based on no research whatsoever.

So nothing to worry about there.

There are a number of sites which analyse 23andme data and rank results based on known research. This gives you the opportunity to see what is known about the effect of the SNP and whether it is something you should give further consideration to.

Promethease.com is one such with a small cost ($5), or Enlis (free), or several others.

With the results you posted above, the only one with any significance is the first COMT SNP. This does slow the enzyme and results in slower breakdown of the neurotransmitters dopamine, adrenaline and noradrenaline. Millions of people worldwide have this variant - it has advantages, just as the wildtype or ancestral variant has different advantages.

The enzyme used magnesium as cofactor so ensuring the body is well supplied with this mineral may help to stimulate the enzyme.

Here is a thread on COMT.

The second COMT SNP is a good example of some of the erroneous claims made about different SNPs. It is described as H62H. This means that the amino acid histidine at position 62 in the COMT protein (H is an abbreviation for histidine) is unchanged in this variant. In other words, the single nucleotide change does not result in a change to the protein.

The enzyme produced by the variant gene is identical to the enzyme produced by the original gene. There is nothing to see here, in contrast to the first SNP where the protein is changed. Valine at position 158 is changed to methionine (V158M).

Fred Smith

is it possible there is my DHEA lvls in the 23andme file? since you can check your dhea lvls with saliva tests??

alicec

is it possible there is my DHEA lvls in the 23andme file? since you can check your dhea lvls with saliva tests??

No. 23andme tests for SNPs - single nucleotide polymorphisms - in DNA.

If you want to know about DHEA levels you would need to order a specific test for DHEA from a pathology lab which does this test.

Fred Smith

i ran my data trough Promethease and just keep scrolling down.. I dont know, I didnt find anything intresting.. I mean how many reports are on there? I was scrolling for like 30 minutes. it says I have slight increase risk for this and that .. nothing really intresting I could find for what caused by social anxiety and fatigue. Im just gonna have to look up what these mean :
  • COMT V158M
  • COMT H62H

• VDR Bsm
  • VDR Taq
  • MTRR A66G
  • BHMT-02

I know someone explained in the previous post but I didnt understand that well tbh. the way they worded things I didnt understand .

alicec

I could find for what caused by social anxiety and fatigue

The SNPs are not causing your social anxiety and fatigue. At best some may be making a small contribution.

Most of those SNPs you list do little or nothing. They don't mean anything much.

The first COMT does slow the enzyme to some extent but millions of people live with this variant, indeed it has some advantages.

The MTRR variant also slows the enzyme but +/- has little consequence. If you were +/+ in combination with some MTR SNPs then it would have more effect.

None of these are things you should worry about.

Fred Smith

The SNPs are not causing your social anxiety and fatigue. At best some may be making a small contribution.

Most of those SNPs you list do little or nothing. They don't mean anything much.

The first COMT does slow the enzyme to some extent but millions of people live with this variant, indeed it has some advantages.

The MTRR variant also slows the enzyme but +/- has little consequence. If you were +/+ in combination with some MTR SNPs then it would have more effect.

None of these are things you should worry about.
are you sure about this? If so I will just forget about this if they dont cause that much bad effects. You say millions have these mthfr mutations ? wouldnt it be more like billions tho? I know the first variant causes high dopamine but the rest 5 no idea.