• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Professor James Coyne commenting on poor British and Dutch fatigue research

Yogi

PACE trial in national public broadcaster of Netherlands NPO1 current affairs programme. This is a milestone as the British BBC have not touched the PACE scandal yet.

Grote controverse over behandeling chronische vermoeidheid
https://eenvandaag.avrotros.nl/item/grote-controverse-over-behandeling-chronische-vermoeidheid/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EenVandaag

http://mecvs.nl/nieuws/persbericht-...sraad-nieuw-beleid-mecvs-stichting-nederland/
Is there a youtube recording of the programme? Anyone know?

P.S. Thanks @Lou Corsius for all your advocacy work in the Netherlands!!! :thumbsup:

Cinders66

I would like to thank prof coyne for his continued time and work on our behalf. I watched some of this, I had no idea he was actually on friendly terms with Sharpe, Chalder and Wessely before joining the patients and bio researchers side vs them.
I thank the Davis family for speaking at the unrest showing in San Francisco too.

Chrisb

Although generally excellent I am concerned at the characterisation of the events of 1988 as described at about 19.10 where he says that under the influence of the English the Americans decided that they would downplay the concept of ME and replace it with CFS.

Is this not a reversal of the truth? An English member of the committee had to resign rather than put his name to the report. Possibly influence passed in the opposite direction later.

lansbergen

Although generally excellent I am concerned at the characterisation of the events of 1988 as described at about 19.10 where he says that under the influence of the English the Americans decided that they would downplay the concept of ME and replace it with CFS.

Is this not a reversal of the truth? An English member of the committee had to resign rather than put his name to the report. Possibly influence passed in the opposite direction later.

I think the weasel was present

I thought that Sarah Myhill was probably not the best person to quote on this.

The Jim Faas' bit on rulings by the Supreme Administrative Court (via google translate) is interesting. Does anyone have more details on this?

Part 2, Amsterdam, october 13 2017

This is insane (referring to the first minute of this video). Can anyone find something worthy of citation that provides evidence for what Coyne says about PDW being paid bounties for getting people off benefits without curing them?

This is way beyond 'normal' levels of CoI. Him stating that he has done 'voluntary and paid consultancy work for [DWP and Swiss Re]' (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/authors?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0040808) is, in my mind, in no way, shape or form enough to accurately convey what he was actually paid for if this is true.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Big reveal: James Coyne had shared wine with Michael Sharpe, been at a dinner with Trudie Chalder and was in regular contact with Simon Wessely. He must have had an awakening at some point...
I'm not entirely sure how to take your comment because I can't see how firmly your tongue is in your cheek.

Any how, pressing on.....

Perhaps he never had a high opinion of them but when PACE game to his attention it really game him a reason to have a go at them.

Yogi

I have tried to look for the supreme court ruling on CBT/GET that was mentioned.

Does anyone from the Netherlands here have this ruling or know how to find it? I have just tagged you @Lou Corsius as well here?

Last edited: