• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Unrest" now on iTunes - review

Diwi9

Administrator
"Unrest" was released today on iTunes and I just finished watching it. These are a few of my intial thoughts.

It is a film that will definitely spread awareness of ME/CFS, but it is impossible for me to understand how someone without the disease would view the film! There were many scenes that were so intimate and personal, as someone with ME/CFS, I did not feel like a viewer because I've shared in the experience. I would love to read reviews by people without the disease and what they learned.

Her relationship with Omar is quite profound. Those with caregivers have a completely different experience of this disease, than from those on their own. The isolation of ME/CFS can be amplified exponentially when one is dependent on self-care; this aspect was not featured in the film.

I'm very thankful and grateful to Jen Brea and all of those involved for completing this film. Can't wait for it to air on PBS and be received by a wider audience.

Cheesus

It is a film that will definitely spread awareness of ME/CFS, but it is impossible for me to understand how someone without the disease would view the film!

I met someone online only a couple of weeks ago who I have since grown to be very close friends with. She had never heard of ME before. I suggested she go to see it at the cinema, which she did. She said she cried all the way through. She has since joined her local ME Action network and attended a recent meeting with them. Someone else at the meeting said they had no connection to ME at all, but they had seen Unrest and felt they wanted to do something about it.

So I'd say it comes across pretty well!

Hajnalka

Hi @Diwi9,

I would love to read reviews by people without the disease and what they learned.
Most of the official reviews have been written by people without the disease. You can check a lot of them out on PR:
Unrest media coverage: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...documentary-media-coverage.48820/#post-805620
Unrest updates: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/unrest-updates.49859/ and more spread all over PR. But we didn't manage to post all reviews here, there're just too many and all positive so far. You can also find a lot of reactions on social media, some also from healthy people. Especially at the film festivals a lot of healthy people without any link to chronic illness seem to stumble into the movie without knowing what it is about and still seem to really like it.

I agree about the relationship part. Will maybe write more later. Need to eat something first.:)

Someone else at the meeting said they had no connection to ME at all, but they had seen Unrest and felt they wanted to do something about it.
Wow!!! That's one of the greatest things I've read so far. Even better or as good as people donating after the movie. :thumbsup:

eric_gladiator

Does this come out in movie theaters all over the world? will it be in local languages soon? This would be very interesting if netflix or some other platform would be interested in the

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Regarding how folks who are not ME patients have reacted to this film, the Rotten Tomatoes website lists several reviews by film critics (e.g., Katie Walsh @ Los Angeles Times, Glenn Kenny @ RogerEbert.com, ...) I'm pretty sure these professional critics are not ME patients. :)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/unrest_2017/reviews/

All the critics wrote good reviews of the film

This site would be another place to write a review for those who are interested.

Edit: I just realized that @Joh has posted a link to the thread talking about reviews. I haven't looked but I'll bet that thread has a lot more links to reviews, including the Rotten Tomatoes site. So, a small "oops" for my duplication of info :confused::) but maybe it's useful for someone out there.

Last edited:

Seven7

Seven
"Unrest" was released today on iTunes and I just finished watching it. These are a few of my intial thoughts.

It is a film that will definitely spread awareness of ME/CFS, but it is impossible for me to understand how someone without the disease would view the film! There were many scenes that were so intimate and personal, as someone with ME/CFS, I did not feel like a viewer because I've shared in the experience. I would love to read reviews by people without the disease and what they learned.

Her relationship with Omar is quite profound. Those with caregivers have a completely different experience of this disease, than from those on their own. The isolation of ME/CFS can be amplified exponentially when one is dependent on self-care; this aspect was not featured in the film.

I'm very thankful and grateful to Jen Brea and all of those involved for completing this film. Can't wait for it to air on PBS and be received by a wider audience.
Are the releases on iTunes different per country mine says premordered and avaliable for rent on dec 15 :(

Diwi9

Administrator
Are the releases on iTunes different per country mine says premordered and avaliable for rent on dec 15 :(
I think that you can purchase now, but it will be available to rent later in the year. I didn't have any problems with the purchase and I'm in the US.

Ember

The isolation of ME/CFS can be amplified exponentially when one is dependent on self-care; this aspect was not featured in the film.
Liisa Liisa addresses the limitation that you mention, calling the film “a very important start in telling the ME story:“
I am thankful that so many people around the globe pulled together to make this film happen because I think it's a very important start in telling the ME story....

I know Jen has been criticized...as being privileged, but this "privilege" is what allowed her to make such a great and important film. But, it is just her story. While this is a fantastic start, I feel I must speak up for all the pwME who are struggling to get food, water, warmth, housing and rest needs met....

On behalf of the thousands of us I additionally mention, this is also why I say "You're welcome."
Her complete film review is here.

It only comes across well if the one not suffering is open to it, I know that because I have seen it with my husband and I am greatlull that he was willing to see it and the film was everything me or all of us ,as I am in process of diagnosis and also already on medications .... so people who are not open to it it appears as another film , fiction, he can see that those are real people but I think there is disbelieve, not real and not possible , simply fake I think their believe is like if you take a car to mechanic and they fix it now everything is ok so they just tell you to go see dr. And come back take pill and tomorrow you will be fine ..... I wish..