• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mast Cell Activation Syndrome test positive per Colonoscopy

Nickster

My sons test from his colonoscopy came back with mast cell counts of 27-40/HPF and has been diagnosed with mast cell activation syndrome. Are these numbers high or low? Just want the opinions of others.

It's interesting as they were able to take his colonoscopy test that he took 2 years ago and test the slides this week and came up with this result. Who know that a test from 2 years ago could show results today.

Last edited:

bertiedog

My sons test from his colonoscopy came back with mast cell counts of 27-40/HPF and has been diagnosed with mast cell activation syndrome. Are these numbers high or low? Just want the opinions of others.

It's interesting as they were able to take his colonoscopy test that he took 2 years ago and test the slides this week and is came up with this result. Who know that a test from 2 years ago could show results today.

Had you thought of doing a stool test to see if he has high levels of pathogenic bacteria in his gut? It might be very illuminating, it certainly has been for me. Ubiome is a good one. I don't know if you have come across CFS Remission but its full of very informative posts regarding gut bacteria and its association with things like MCAS.

Pam

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Sorry to hear this, MCAS sucks. But at least he has a dx and hopefully good Drs who are MCAS aware?

Have you read Afrins book? it is great.

kangaSue

@Nickster An elevated mast cell count in the GI tract can also be caused by Inflammatory Bowel Disease or even more so with an impaired bowel blood flow causing chronic intestinal ischemia where mast cell degranulation contributes to causing ischemia (and might only show as a bit of colitis in a colonoscopy).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3033552/

A Doppler Ultrasound of the mesentery arteries can help with identifying a bowel blood flow issue (if the colonoscopy wasn't revealing of anything else) but it misses the up to 30% or so of chronic intestinal ischemia cases who have a non-occlusive basis and which can occur where autonomic dysfunction affecting cardiac output regulation (POTS, OH) is present.

The mast cell stabilizer ketotifen can be beneficial to treat symptoms in this setting.