• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

5th Invest in ME/CFS Conference - Programme May 24 2010

Rosemary

CD26 is produced as normal BUT DOES NOT LEAVE THE CELL in CFS. strange but true.

so no cleavage of NPY

Natasa...In autism the suggestion to correct the DPP 1V/CD26 enzyme deficiency is to replace the enzyme by supplementing DPP 1V however as you mention here in CFS it is produced as normal but does not leave the cell so I wonder what this would mean treatment wise for CFS ?

Quote " If DPP IV deficiency results in autism, what can be done? If the enzyme is missing, replacing it should solve the deficiency."

Theories of Potential Therapies for DPP IV Deficiency [Unevaluated]:

http://www.healing-arts.org/children/autism-overview.htm#Dipeptidyl Peptidase Deficiency

Does anyone have any other thoughts on this ?

natasa778

yes I agree Rosemary, I wonder if that is the enzyme they are using in the current study in Houston that was posted here?

btw Judy mentioned twins with childhood Nieman Picks, childhood alzheimer - as xmrv would be lifting cholesterol off membrane while budding no wonder if it causes diseases of cholestorol defects.

Rosemary

yes I agree Rosemary, I wonder if that is the enzyme they are using in the current study in Houston that was posted here?

btw Judy mentioned twins with childhood Nieman Picks, childhood alzheimer - as xmrv would be lifting cholesterol off membrane while budding no wonder if it causes diseases of cholestorol defects.

Thanks for the interesting feedback about the twins with NPC

I don't know if CM-AT [info below] which is being used in the Autism trials also contains DPP-1V ?
Some parents I know have actually bought DPP-1V to give to their children , I'm not sure if DPP-1V is sold on its own or in combination with other digestive enzymes ?

CM-AT, an orally ingested powder that delivers protein-digesting protease,

CM-AT is a proprietary enzyme that is designed as a powder taken three times a day.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/sh...uremark&rank=1

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

If CD26 is a 'T cell activation antigen', and it doesn't work - is this one example of how XMRV infects T-Cells?

What is the test for the neuro inflammation in American CFS that Klimas has mentioned in her videos (post XMRV) twice now I wonder? :confused: Dr Kerr has mentioned before that brain inflammatory cytokines are elevated, but what are these brain cytokines? (I can't find the paper!!!!). :(

Some more info on T Cells in other past CFS research involving Kenny De Meirleir quoted below:

T helper 17 (Th17) cells belong to a recently identified subset of T helper cells, with crucial regulatory function in inflammatory and autoimmune processes. Th17 cells are implicated in allergic inflammation, intestinal diseases, central nervous system inflammation, disorders that may all contribute to the pathophysiology of CFS. IL-17F is one of the pro-inflammatory cytokines secreted by Th17 cells. We investigated the association between CFS and the frequency of rs763780, a C/T genetic polymorphism leading to His161Arg substitution in the IL-17F protein. The His161Arg variant (C allele) antagonizes the pro-inflammatory effects of the wild-type IL-17F. A significantly lower frequency of the C allele was observed in the CFS population, suggesting that the His161Arg variant may confer protection against the disease. These results suggest a role of Th17 cells in the pathogenesis of CFS.

Lower frequency of IL-17F sequence variant (His161Arg) in chronic fatigue syndrome patients.
Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18774769

Countrygirl

I have been told this is not something labs ordinarily screen for, they usually only screen for lab contaminants, which WPI does religiously. But if a contaminant is in a reagent, then to screen for that they must run a test in water and if they get a positive they know the reagent is contaminated. Apparently this has happened before, and if Huber said it was a reagent contaminant that is a pretty solid statement, that would be easy for her to prove.

Same old complaint, but the Science article also used PCR with no amplification for some of the tests that were positive for XMRV. I doubt Huber's test was faulty, she is a seasoned researcher and would have used positive controls in every batch. Something else is going on.

I was not at the lecture but doubt this was an arbitrary decision, rather determined experimentally the reagent was contaminated. What this means if it is true is that every research group must now go back and test their reagents for contaminates, or at least those using the same source of reagent as Huber. Perhaps some had contamination and some did not, they just have to run the tests to find out.

I know that the WPI and the other labs associated with the Science paper took great care to ensure that there was no lab contamination involved. Now this may seem to be a stupid question, and I sincerely hope that it is just the product of an over-imaginative unscientific brain, but can we also be reassured that no external contamination, such has apparently influenced the Huber study, could have accounted for the Science results? I know I am committing heresy by even suggesting it, but is this possible? (I just so hope that the answer is an unqualified 'NO'. ):confused:

Someone??????? :worried:

natasa778

now this may seem to be a stupid question, and I sincerely hope that it is just the product of an over-imaginative unscientific brain, but can we also be reassured that no external contamination, such has apparently influenced the Huber study, could have accounted for the Science results?

Science grilled them for 6 months to ensure no such thing took place!

also if there was contamination than the control healthy samples would have been contaminated as well, not only cfs ones. they were all mixed, blinded and handled by same labs

Otis

Señor Mumbler
And didn't the fact that they were able to show (minor) genetic diversity in XMRV samples help squash the contamination concern. The idea being that if there were contamination it would be copies of the exact same generic material.

Countrygirl

And didn't the fact that they were able to show (minor) genetic diversity in XMRV samples help squash the contamination concern. The idea being that if there were contamination it would be copies of the exact same generic material

Natasha and Otis

Thank you very much for your replies. The potential ramifications of the discovery of XMRV and ME are so huge that I keep needing to be re-assured that the initial study really was water-tight. Thank you for re-affirming what I really do already know, but just needed to hear it again.

I think I must be a descendant of the original 'Doubting Thomas.'........... I just need to keep checking....................

Sam Carter

I think I must be a descendant of the original 'Doubting Thomas.'...........
That's a pretty good description of the ideal scientist, Countrygirl!

The physicist Richard Feynman described this attitude (ie. one of perpetual "doubt" and self-checking) in his famous commencement address at Caltech.

Wikipedia have a pretty good summary:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_science

and, for enthusiasts, and Feynman fans like me, the full address can be found at:
http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/51/2/CargoCult.pdf

For an example of Cargo Cult science one need look no further than the "work" of the UK psychosocial school. ;)

anciendaze

contamination argument again?

The extraordinary thing about this alleged contamination is that it appears to know whether or not you are testing the general population or special cohorts. How you get a roughly 4% figure for incidence in the general population and much higher in a cohort like PC, CFS/ME, FM, asthma, etc. has never been addressed. When approximately similar findings turn up in laboratories on different continents, it is time to reconsider.

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

The extraordinary thing about this alleged contamination is that it appears to know whether or not you are testing the general population or special cohorts. How you get a roughly 4% figure for incidence in the general population and much higher in a cohort like PC, CFS/ME, FM, asthma, etc. has never been addressed.

EXACTLY!!! And the people testing positive at 98% prevalence at WPI aren't healthy, but very disabled with neuro immune disease.
It would be different if the 98% of people are playing basket ball and winning weight lifting competitions, but they aren't.

Bob

The extraordinary thing about this alleged contamination is that it appears to know whether or not you are testing the general population or special cohorts. How you get a roughly 4% figure for incidence in the general population and much higher in a cohort like PC, CFS/ME, FM, asthma, etc. has never been addressed. When approximately similar findings turn up in laboratories on different continents, it is time to reconsider.

Yes, and the Japanese study found XMRV in a similar percentage of random blood samples taken from the Japanese blood supply (it was around 2 or 3 % - I can't remember the exact figure)... So there's no doubt at all that XMRV is real now... There's so much evidence for it...

Some scientists will continue to find zero XMRV in their studies, as long as they only use the old HIV retro-viral science which they are familiar with, and they don't replicate the Science paper methodology exactly...

And ignorant scientists will continue to blame contamination when they aren't happy with their results... but we've really got beyond the stage of calling XMRV a contaminant now... there's no turning back now... they can't put the XMRV genie back in it's bottle.

Countrygirl

That's a pretty good description of the ideal scientist, Countrygirl!

The physicist Richard Feynman described this attitude (ie. one of perpetual "doubt" and self-checking) in his famous commencement address at Caltech.

Wikipedia have a pretty good summary:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_science

and, for enthusiasts, and Feynman fans like me, the full address can be found at:
http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/51/2/CargoCult.pdf

Thanks for that Sam. I feel a little better now about committing such heresy. Now all I need is a positive result................hopefully my blood will be winging its way over to the US shortly. Keeping everything crossed, and at my age that is no mean feat. :D

For an example of Cargo Cult science one need look no further than the "work" of the UK psychosocial school. ;)

Thanks for that encouraging post, Sam. I don't feel quite so bad now about committing such heresy. All I need now is a positive XMRV result...........................hopefully my blood will be winging its way over the Atlantic shortly.....................................I'm keeping everything crossed, which is no mean feat at my age. :D