• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Actigraphy-Based Physical Activity Monitoring in Adolescents With Juvenile Primary FM

leelaplay

kelly to CO-CURE May 7

J Pain. 2010 Apr 23. [Epub ahead of print]
Actigraphy-Based Physical Activity Monitoring in Adolescents With Juvenile
Primary Fibromyalgia Syndrome.

Kashikar-Zuck S, Flowers SR, Verkamp E, Ting TV, Lynch-Jordan AM, Graham TB,
Passo M, Schikler KN, Hashkes PJ, Spalding S, Banez G, Richards MM, Powers
SW, Arnold LM, Lovell D.

Division of Behavioral Medicine and Clinical Psychology, Cincinnati
Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio; Department of
Pediatrics, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio.

Abstract

Juvenile primary fibromyalgia syndrome (JPFS) is a chronic pain condition
associated with significant impairment in physical functioning, but no
studies have used newer technologies such as actigraphy to document
objective physical activity levels in JPFS. This is the first study to
objectively describe physical activity in JPFS patients and examine the
relationship of pain, perceived functional impairment, and depressive
symptoms on physical activity.

One hundred four clinically referred adolescents with JPFS (ages 11 to 18
years) wore a hip-mounted actigraph for 1 week. Data on pain intensity,
functional disability, depressive symptoms, and psychiatric diagnoses were
obtained using self- and parent-report measures and a standardized
psychiatric interview. Results showed that younger patients were more
active. Pain intensity was not significantly associated with physical
activity levels overall, but the most highly active group of adolescents
reported lower levels of pain and disability than the least active. Parent
report of adolescents' physical functioning and depressive symptoms were
significantly correlated with adolescents' physical activity levels.
Actigraphy provides a unique source of information about physical
functioning which is distinct from adolescents' self-report of physical
functioning in JPFS. Preliminary findings suggest that further study of
factors that predict perceived and actual physical functioning in JPFS is
warranted.

PERSPECTIVE: This study presents the results of physical activity monitoring
in adolescents with JPFS using actigraphy. Results indicate that actigraphy
provides a unique source of objective information that can advance our
understanding of physical disability in JPFS and the factors associated with
physical impairment.

Copyright 2010 American Pain Society. Published by Elsevier Inc. All
rights reserved.

PMID: 20418183 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

flybro

WOW I wonder i they will stick a camera and a mic in with it.

The thing is I always feel good if I've accomplished things, having a bath, a bit of tidying up. If I go out and mange to walk any distance, or take part in life I feel great.

Even if it leaves me layed up in bed for a couple to ten days, I still feel good, I just can't do much more than get to the loo, and drink. Often I don't have the where with all to eat after having a good time. I live on the memories made in those moments of hi health.

Before I accepted this reality, I felt miserable as though life was being stolen from me. Now when I have good times I relsih them, I drink them in, and if I'm stuck in bed for a day or week afterwards, I relish the memories I've just created and wait for my strength to return.

So I hope these guys aren't intenet on selling the mesage that I'm depressed and need to exercise more to get better.

Its taken a long time for me to stop seeing excerise as a must since I stopped work.

I worked as a gardener and was very proud of my phyiscal fitness, strength and stamina. When I could no longer work, I didnt want to loose that strength and following NICE guidelines, I continued to exercise, my health continued to decline. Naturally I was quite miserable.

I wont waste another drop of energy on exercise, when I have extra enrgy I am going to make happy memories for the rainy days that seem to follow.

When the Heck will they stop trying to exercise this illness away? Is it not enough most of us have wasted a significant portion of our health and
self-esteem on this inaccurate, distorted and downright dangerous treatment for ME/CFS. What part of medical/ethical malpractice don't they understand?

WOW I wonder i they will stick a camera and a mic in with it.

The thing is I always feel good if I've accomplished things, having a bath, a bit of tidying up. If I go out and mange to walk any distance, or take part in life I feel great.

Even if it leaves me layed up in bed for a couple to ten days, I still feel good, I just can't do much more than get to the loo, and drink. Often I don't have the where with all to eat after having a good time. I live on the memories made in those moments of hi health.

Before I accepted this reality, I felt miserable as though life was being stolen from me. Now when I have good times I relsih them, I drink them in, and if I'm stuck in bed for a day or week afterwards, I relish the memories I've just created and wait for my strength to return.

So I hope these guys aren't intenet on selling the mesage that I'm depressed and need to exercise more to get better.

Its taken a long time for me to stop seeing excerise as a must since I stopped work.

I worked as a gardener and was very proud of my phyiscal fitness, strength and stamina. When I could no longer work, I didnt want to loose that strength and following NICE guidelines, I continued to exercise, my health continued to decline. Naturally I was quite miserable.

I wont waste another drop of energy on exercise, when I have extra enrgy I am going to make happy memories for the rainy days that seem to follow.