• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Study by Susan Vernon which suprises me

G

Gerwyn

The points of interest are

PMBC,s are highlighed as the the cells to target when looking for gene abnormalities

The use of whole blood id not recommended

IN the PCR run 10 ml of fresh blood is used and the PMBCs are concentrated before PCR even when trying to find the human DNA

Obviously XMRV infects PMBC,s and this data is conistent with XMRV infection

Over 50% of patients given a diagnosis of CFS under CCD guidelines had a gene profile consistent with depression

I am really puzzled that ,as the european studies differed so completely from her own approach for finding DNA in PBMC,s, she did not raise questions about the adequacy of the Europeans technique

If she thought it was necessary to isolate and concentrate PBMC,s looking for human DNA then the fact that the europeans did not bother to isolate or concentrate the PMBC,s looking for viral DNAshould have come across as a glaring error!

Transl Med. 2003; 1: 10.
Published online 2003 December 1. doi: 10.1186/1479-5876-1-10.

PMCID: PMC305360
Copyright 2003 Whistler et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article: verbatim copying and redistribution of this article are permitted in all media for any purpose, provided this notice is preserved along with the article's original URL.
Integration of gene expression, clinical, and epidemiologic data to characterize Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Toni Whistler,1 Elizabeth R Unger,1 Rosane Nisenbaum,1 and Suzanne D Vernoncorresponding author1

ukxmrv

Shouldn't Dr Kerr have known this from his gene expression work or does that have different requirements? How did he get it wrong (the Stoye, Bishop XMRV paper)?

G

Gerwyn

Shouldn't Dr Kerr have known this from his gene expression work or does that have different requirements? How did he get it wrong (the Stoye, Bishop XMRV paper)?

very good question

citybug

How complicated is the process to get PMBCs? Can they be spun out in a doctor's office? Is there a time or temperature factor if doctors ship whole blood for reduction later?

omerbasket

She did have some issues with the first study that was published (although I don't know if the concerns she raised are the concerns you make in this thread):
http://www.cfids.org/cfidslink/2010/010603.asp

Gerwyn, are these flaws, that you talk about in this thread (regarding Vernon's study) also applying for the Kerr study? Because to her defense I should say that I think it was the only negative study that she, for some reasons, apllaudes to.