• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

David Tuller: NIH Grants $2.1 Million to UK Biobank!

Countrygirl

http://www.virology.ws/2017/10/03/trial-by-error-nih-grants-2-1-million-to-uk-biobank/

By David Tuller, DrPH

The National Institutes of Health is making a $2.1 million grant to the UK ME/CFS Biobank–a huge endorsement of this important project run by CureME and housed at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Here’s what the ME Association wrote on its website:

“The funding represents the biggest ever single investment in biomedical research to happen in the UK and it will enable a current project, that is searching for disease biomarkers, to be extended for another 4 years – until 2021.

The project is a longitudinal study that is measuring changes in the immune system and genetic profile of individuals in a disease whose symptoms are known to fluctuate over time. The initial £1 million project, which began in 2013, was over 3 years and had also been made possible by funding from NIH.”

The announcement comes a few weeks after the annual conference of the CFS/ME Research Collaborative, which has backed a parallel project called the ME/CFS Epidemiology and Genomics Alliance (MEGA). At the CMRC gathering, the organization’s chair, Professor Stephen Holgate, extolled his colleague, Professor Esther Crawley, for her “amazing” and “stunning” work on MEGA–even as he announced that the project had failed its recent bid for funding from the Medical Research Council.

Esther12

Does anyone else get the impression that Tuller isn't happy about being accused of 'libellous blogging'?

I hadn't thought that Holgate could have been hoping for the funding the Biobank got - an extra reason for good cheer. I have to admit that I got a shiver down my spin when he spoke of his excitement at possible collaborations with the NIH.