• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Breaking News! UK ME/CFS Biobank team receives largest ever grant to continue biomedical research pr

Hutan

Fantastic news. Yaay NIH! And the Biobank team!

ME Association trustees and staff were over the moon when we heard that the CureME team at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine had received a new grant of $2.1 million from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in America.

“This is a significant and vital sum of money that will help scientists unravel the mysteries of this devastating illness
The irony is that the funding comes once again from America
“What this seems to suggest is that the USA is far more serious about finding the underlying causes of M.E., while the UK seems most willing to invest in inappropriate studies using cognitive behavioural therapy and graded exercise.
Dr Charles Shepherd, Hon. Medical Adviser, ME Association,Chair of the UK ME/CFS Biobank Steering Committee.

Yes

boolybooly

I dont know but I would hope maybe MEGA can use this.

I would guess the NIH funded this with a collaborative perspective, to make it an international facillity which both enables and reduces the cost of other research projects, which I would hope could include MEGA.

Hilary

Fantastic news!! Huge thanks to all involved - though as CS says, ironic that the funding is coming from outside the UK. Time the UK medical establishment woke up, got its act together and caught up - still far, far too much mistreatment, misunderstanding and total neglect of patients.

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
I dont know but I would hope maybe MEGA can use this.

I would guess the NIH funded this with a collaborative perspective, to make it an international facillity which both enables and reduces the cost of other research projects, which I would hope could include MEGA.

MEGA is effectively dead with this news. The UK Biobank uses the right criteria & people...Why would you want Esther Crawley involved?!?!?

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I would guess the NIH funded this with a collaborative perspective, to make it an international facillity which both enables and reduces the cost of other research projects.

That is exactly right.

I am not aware of having urged people to donate to any particular project in the past and I do not really expect to do so for other projects in the future but I want to make an exception for this one. It is a resource for everyone.

The $2.1M is fantastic. But it is for specific research projects. The Biobank has to have a budget for infrastructure and strangely that has proved more difficult to cover than the actual research. It is strange because the amount needed is really quite small. My understanding is that about £75,000 a year is needed to keep the inflow of samples coming in order to guarantee long term viability.

Wellcome did not come up with money this year but I think the renewed NIH grant, together with ongoing research, may help a more favourable response next time around. Nothing succeeds like success, as they say. There may also be ways of underwriting at least some of the infrastructure costs. This is the sort of money that small charitable bursaries can sometimes be found to cover too.

On the other hand it seems to me that this is something that members of PR could take real pride in making happen. Even a third of the money needed would be a huge help. What I think would be particularly helpful would be for people to commit themselves to a small sum on a rolling annual basis - because it is a rolling annual basis that is needed. In a year or so someone like Wellcome may pick up the tab but money is not going to go to waste.

I think people may not realise just how impressive the achievement of the LSHTM team is - chiefly the hard work of Luis Nacul, Eliana Lacerda and Caroline Kingdom. Amazingly, the ME Biobank seems to be the largest disease specific Biobank in the entire UCL/RFH facility. This is state of the art biobanking. The cohort of patients is based on community sourcing so is as close to a population based cohort as is likely to be feasible. If samples are used by researchers to replicate testing of any particular hypothesis this has the huge advantage that the samples have been collected in a way that will have no bias relating to that particular hypothesis. Good sample collection is often the most time consuming part of research. Now researchers have samples ready and waiting.

I could not actually see the news on the CureME website yet but it should be up there today. If people want to indicate their appreciation of hard work on their behalf what could be better than going to the website and signing up for a small (or large!) donation on an annual basis? I think the set up is already there. And if one or two charities can chip in I see no reason why the Biobank should not have infrastructure assured by Christmas. Then the international research community will have the resource base it needs.

charles shepherd

This is probably an ignorant question but is there a way we can contribute to the biobank by providing samples such as blood? What samples do they need and how do they get them? As a severe patient I would love to be able to contribute to helping build a base for research that supports severe cases...

Thanks for the very kind offer!

The ME Biobank does not require any more blood samples at the moment

When we do, there will be an announcement on:

- the ME Biobank website: http://cureme.lshtm.ac.uk

- the MEA website: www.meassociation.org.uk

- and the MEA Facebook page

And I'm sure this information will filter across onto PR as well

Please note that there are geographical limits to the locations from where we are recruiting blood donation volunteers at present because of the need to:

(1) carry out a clinical assessment of everyone who dontates a sample to make sure they have a sound diagnosis of ME/CFS

(2) arrange home visits for collection of blood from people with severe ME/CFS - who form an important cohort at the ME Biobank

(e) transport the blood samples as quickly as possible after collection to the ME Biobank at the Royal Free Hospital in London

So we cannot collect samples from outside the UK and I don't think anyone has managed to set up an ME Biobank in Australia so far….

Dr Charles Shepherd

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
This is probably an ignorant question but is there a way we can contribute to the biobank by providing samples such as blood? What samples do they need and how do they get them? As a severe patient I would love to be able to contribute to helping build a base for research that supports severe cases...

The generosity of patients is very much appreciated by researchers. However, there are very real problems with voluntary donations.

Imagine that ten Norwegians volunteered to donate to the UK Biobank. A year later a paper appears in Nature showing that people with ME are more likely to carry gene RjXC779. A million dollar grant is obtained to study this gene and another two years later it is discovered that RjXC779 is a Viking gene for straight blond hair. Even taking Welsh and Scottish patients with controls from Norfolk runs this risk and the risk is particularly high if people are doing genome wide screening studies. Antibodies to different infections will be different in Scotland and Australia from Norfolk, etc.. Population based controls are so important.

But donations aren't biased!

Barry53

A press release has also been sent out to UK journalists
Be interesting to see if the SMC manage to report this at all, and if so what kind of spin there might be on it. Not exactly insignificant news is it, important UK research being funded by an American government institution ... everyone should be over the moon you might imagine. Can the SMC actually afford not to report this, if they are to retain any sort of credibility amongst the wider scientific community at all? Especially as cracks seem to be appearing in the SMCs facade/charade of impecable investigative scientific journalism :vomit:.