• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thoughts on Zinc reaction

I seem to react very strongly to Zinc but have no theories to why. Any thoughts?

It's almost as effective as taking a benzodiazepine. It calms me down, takes away stimulation and relaxes me both physically and mentally. In the beginning I could use it as an sleeping aid. I also got a temporary mood enhancement. The effect doesn't last for long though and it kills my libido. I can add that I suffer from akatisia from my ME. I always feel restless, uncomfortable and on edge.

Last edited:

NotThisGuy

maybe because zinc has an antagonism to nmda? Maybe thats why it feels similiar to benzodiazepines.
Zinc also calms me down, but it lowers cortisol too much and somehow i become anemic with it.

I had a period of 1 year where I felt very stressed, restless and on the edge. The best remedy for that was increasing my meat consumption. I was eating 100g chicken breast a day and increased it to 300+ gramm of chicken breast. That really made the difference.

Fogbuster

I seem to react very strongly to Zinc but have no theories to why. Any thoughts?

It's almost as effective as taking a benzodiazepine. It calms me down, takes away stimulation and relaxes me both physically and mentally. In the beginning I could use it as an sleeping aid. I also got a temporary mood enhancement. The effect doesn't last for long though and it kills my libido. I can add that I suffer from akatisia from my ME. I always feel restless, uncomfortable and on edge.

Zinc is an immune modulator. I just had this discovery recently. Very relaxing effect, just like a benzo for me too. :)

Zinc is an immune modulator. I just had this discovery recently. Very relaxing effect, just like a benzo for me too. :)

Is it lowering or boosting? I guess that says something about my ME :rolleyes: I read yd it can be helpful to know which one helps, lowering or boost.

Gondwanaland

The effect doesn't last for long though and it kills my libido.
Low dose zinc is said to increase conversion of testosterone into DHT. High dose is said to block the conversion. I suppose the benefit loss could be countered by increasing the dose, but I really don't know.

Low dose zinc is said to increase conversion of testosterone into DHT. High dose is said to block the conversion. I suppose the benefit loss could be countered by increasing the dose, but I really don't know.

Interesting. I guess it blocks on my dosage 30 mg because it kills my libido completely if I take it everyday!

overtheedge

Might want to occasionally test your zinc levels to see how they are doing, copper levels too since zinc and copper are antagonistic to each other. My plasma zinc levels only normalize if I supplement though I can't say I notice any obvious change in health because of supplementation

Might want to occasionally test your zinc levels to see how they are doing, copper levels too since zinc and copper are antagonistic to each other. My plasma zinc levels only normalize if I supplement though I can't say I notice any obvious change in health because of supplementation

I will keep that in mind. I don't why if it's the zinc or just time or both but I'm recovering slowly :)

Rlman

zinc takes copper out of the body. apparently high copper can cause anxiety, restlesness etc and adding more zinc is calming. its called copper toxicity, there are webpages on such. btw copper IUDs can cause lots of health issues for some women.