• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CD4-CD8 Test Interpretation

sorin

All my CD's are below normal. High CD4/CD8 ratio. The immunologist was only a little concerned about the CD8 count so ran some viral RNA DNA testing and everything was normal. He had no idea what an NK cell function was when I asked.
Hi! What were your values for Cd4 and Cd8?

Mij

Anyone here having mouth ulcers? Small ulcers... Any treatment?

Do you mean mouth ulcers?

Yes, I had this before M.E. I used to break out every 2-3 years and they were very painful Interesting thing happened though, after I took immunomodulators 15yrs ago they came back less frequent and less painful. The outbreaks eventually stopped.

sorin

CD4 533 (700-1100)
CD8 234 (500-900)
CD4 is not very low. In my report, it is said that lower limit is 510, so everything higher than 510 would be considered normal. For CD8 lower limit is 208. Is strange that some labs have different reference ranges!!! So according to the lab in Brussel I did the test, your results would be normal!

Mij

@sorin

I knew someone who had lower levels than mine without having M.E. She had chemical and food sensitivities.

I'm no longer too concerned about my low counts.

sorin

@sorin
I knew someone who had lower levels than mine without having M.E. She had chemical and food sensitivities.
I'm no longer too concerned about my low counts.
Unfortunately is not so simple. CD4<350 was used to start treatment in HIV + persons, because was a sign of installing AIDS. So lower levels of CD4 should be very carefully monitored.

TrixieStix

Thank you so much for your reply. I really did not know that " it is inverted due to elevated CD8 it is considered normal. " but that is a relief for me. I was worried about my inverted ratio due to high CD8... My doctor said that my high CD8 is due to an immunological over-reaction to some unknown infection. But he could not say more. So looks like in our cases, we are just "ok"? :) I mean OK but feeling bad...
Glad to help. I just read a study where they tested T-Cell Subsets of a large group of healthy people and inverted CD4/CD8 ratios were present in some of the ppl in just about all the various age groups.

sorin

Glad to help. I just read a study where they tested T-Cell Subsets of a large group of healthy people and inverted CD4/CD8 ratios were present in some of the ppl in just about all the various age groups.
So what means that?

sorin

Do you mean mouth ulcers?

Yes, I had this before M.E. I used to break out every 2-3 years and they were very painful Interesting thing happened though, after I took immunomodulators 15yrs ago they came back less frequent and less painful. The outbreaks eventually stopped.

These mouth ulcers disapeared? How long took to cure them? What medication you used?

Mij

I'm not sure they're cured, but I haven't had any re-activations for years. Mine were caused from viral infection.

I took transfer factor and a year later imunovir. The weird thing is that the immunomodulators resulted in very bad relapse.

TrixieStix

So what means that?
it means that elevated an inverted CD4/CD8 Ration caused by elevated CD8 is a normal finding in a portion of the population. This alone is not enough to assume someone has an issue with their health. Just as a % of healthy people have a positive ANA, positive ANA alone does not indicate illness.

kelly8

Anyone here having mouth ulcers? Small ulcers... Any treatment?

I get mouth ulcers. It is awful. Every time the Dr sees them they say it is just viral but don't do anything to help with it. The last time I was in so much pain they gave me a dental steroid paste. I also get cuts in my nose and I have LS as well so it looks like my immune system keeps getting attacked and decides to manifest in cuts all over.

The steroid helps to reduce how long I have them but doesn't affect them starting up. I'll bring the immune modulator idea to my Dr. She's been pretty resistant to any idea outside the box but maybe she'd be willing to try.

sorin

I'm not sure they're cured, but I haven't had any re-activations for years. Mine were caused from viral infection.

I took transfer factor and a year later imunovir. The weird thing is that the immunomodulators resulted in very bad relapse.
But the mouth ulcers are now still in your mouth or they have gone?

Mij

@sorin

The duration of the outbreak would last 2-3 weeks and then they were gone. I also had sore throat, sore swollen lymph nodes, feverish. muscle aches etc. It was caused by herpes simplex virus.

sorin

@sorin

The duration of the outbreak would last 2-3 weeks and then they were gone. I also had sore throat, sore swollen lymph nodes, feverish. muscle aches etc. It was caused by herpes simplex virus.
Hi! I did not know that HSV can cause painful lymph nodes, muscle aches and sore throat... Did you test for antibodies in the blood for HSV and it was positive?

Hello
Can someone tell me what a ratio of CD4 to CD8 as 3.5 means? Does this lean more towards autoimmunity?
Suppressor cells were low.
Thanks

sorin

The duration of the outbreak would last 2-3 weeks and then they were gone.
Mine is there for already 2 weeks and no sign to cure despite all local liquid solutions I have tried... Should I get used to its permanent presence there?
And, on the other hand, seems these mouth ulcers are common to HIV patients. Is this another proof that CFS is very related to HIV since they share so many things in common?

Mij

@sorin

I suggest you see your doctor for further investigation. You want to rule out oral cancer. There is no proof that CFS is related to HIV. I had this infection way before I developed CFS and I was very healthy at that time.