• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Perrin Technique

Alexi

Perrin Technique gets a mention in the proposed new NICE guides.
Is there any proven benefit ?

Do you have a link?
Nothing proven, I think he is close to publishing some work on using his technique for diagnosis I don't think it's treatment though.

keenly

Perrin Technique gets a mention in the proposed new NICE guides.
Is there any proven benefit ?

Try for yourself. Little to do with CFS is going to have a proven benefit.

When do the establishment ever back non drug based treatements? Cancer patients still receive chemo. Do not rely on the system to TELL YOU what works.

He was 'close to a trial in partnership with the NHS' 6 years ago when I heard him speak in a Perrin sales pitch.
His diagnosis through prodding sensitive pressure points and seeing if it hurts struck me as quackish then. His rudeness about people with ME who 'just lie on the floor in front of you' hamming it up or being attention seeking were also worrying.
I still went on to try it. Obviously didn't work for me or I'd be out water skiing or mountain climbing or something jolly rather than sat here!

Alexi

Seems to me his treatment consists of straightening the spine and lymph drainage ?
Wondering what NICE see in this approach.....

Seems to me his treatment consists of straightening the spine and lymph drainage ?
Wondering what NICE see in this approach.....

NICE don't recommend it. Was it just mentioned in a submission? I don't think that there are any new draft guidelines yet. Or do you mean for 'suspected neurological conditions'?

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I think it's a good idea for everyone to be on the same page as to what is meant by the PT.

Here's a link: http://www.theperrinclinic.com/about.html From Perrin's website.

It also discusses diagnosing ME and treating ME.

For me, looking at the page that comes from the man himself my first biggest problem is that the diagnostic process for ME is not shared. I expect this is because the way of doing that is to protect the technique from use by anyone. This means that even if you pay for treatment you will likely not be told what the process is being used on you or how it works--another issue since it may be the case that a theory has been cobbled together for the sake of credibility but the creators of these techniques may not in fact know why something works if/when it does.

A couple of other points to make. With these therapies it is always an issue that some practitioners are better than others. So who you see matters even if the therapy does have some efficacy.

And if the therapies do in fact help IMO I don't see that they can claim to cure and also if there is benefit it lasts only so long as therapy is continued. Once finished the benefit diminishes until the prior baseline is the norm.

And when they claim benefits for ME it is rather highly likely they are talking about a subset because as we know we all experience some core symptoms and then a variety of dissimilar symptoms. It seems possible to me that some people with very specific neuro symptoms may be somewhat helped by manual therapies that work to relax the nervous system--temporarily. Just IMO.

Hiya,
The majority of sufferers are clutching at straws so they look at the Perrin thing.
Sometimes I wonder when this comes up repeatedly on ME forums whether it is advertising.
Bj

Alexi

Not advertising....far from it ! It was mentioned in a media article about NICE reconsidering guidelines to include alternative treatments such as PT.
It made my eyebrows shoot to the back of my head !

Hiya,
£40 every 2 weeks ,if you have a good feeling about it you should give it a try.
I live 250 mile from where Perrin does his treatments,
There's an osteopath that does Perrin treatments,he is 4 mile from my home ,he ain't getting my 40 quid.