• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What are some natural supplements for POTS?

Peyt

Hi,
Does anyone know of any natural supplements that can help reduce heart rate in POTS?
I know Magnesium already, but wanted to find some other alternatives. Thanks

Learner1

I take a lot of supplements prescribed by knowledgeable doctors and the only thing that helps in any way is Carditone by Ayudh Herbs, which lowers by BP, which goes up significantly when I sit or stand.

The CellTrend test can identify adrenergic antibodies which may cause it. EBV and other viruses can cause them. Reversing those and getting to the root cause is best, but expensive and inconvenient.:rolleyes:

Peyt

I take a lot of supplements prescribed by knowledgeable doctors and the only thing that helps in any way is Carditone by Ayudh Herbs, which lowers by BP, which goes up significantly when I sit or stand.

The CellTrend test can identify adrenergic antibodies which may cause it. EBV and other viruses can cause them. Reversing those and getting to the root cause is best, but expensive and inconvenient.:rolleyes:

I don't have high blood pressure,
My main problem is faster than normal heart rate. And I do get low blood pressure at times.

Learner1

There are interventions that can help low blood pressure, too.

But still, getting to the root of it is the way to go, otherwise you're just managing miserable symptoms.

My main problem is faster than normal heart rate. And I do get low blood pressure at times.
It's a bad idea to slow your heart rate down if it's caused by low blood pressure. In that case the increased heart rate is compensating for low blood pressure, and helping to circulate blood. So lowering your heart rate without dealing with the low blood pressure might cause bigger problems.

Thinktank

Like some have mentioned, increasing sodium and fluid intake + other electrolytes.

I sometimes take DGL instead of pure licorice, it still has enough of the active ingredient in it to improve my OI / POTS.

Lowering inflammation really improves my OI, when there's little or no inflammation i feel much better. With inflammation my veins swell up and blood starts pooling in hands and feet.

echobravo

Keep searching, the answer is out there
It is my understanding that over time increased output of cortisol (stressors like pain, being sick, emotions e.g. loneliness, PTSD etc) might contribute to many of these problems related to orthostatic intolerance (blood pressure regulation, vasodilation), low blood sugar issues (waking up 04 with heartbeat and high pulse), thyroid down regulation (switch to reverse T3 over T3 production), anxiety (fight & flight, sympathic nervous system activation), lower back pain/tension/anxiety, adrenal hormone depletion (cortisol grabs most of the pregnenolone and less goes to DHEA, dopamin, testosteron etc, hence rendering you with increased risk of tissue damage, depression, low libido aso).

Relora, tyrosine, theanine, vit C, phosphatidyl serine, GABA, pregnenolone, adaptogens - might contribute to balancing the adrenals and reducing cortisol - as will any lifestyle interventions that reduce stress (walks & movement, yoga, meditation, nature, connection, blue-blocking, sleep aso).

Any earlier trauma - childhood, losses, PTSD, injuries - might be sources of excess cortisol also (amygdala, the fear centre (?)).

PS! I used ZRT labs to measure adrenal hormones. Will also try to have my DHEA and cortisol tested during the course of one day (spit test, 4 times).

Peyt

Maybe an obvious one, but increasing salt intake. I'm on desmopressin and take salt tablets.
I have been reading about this but my Blood plasma sodium levels show higher than normal on the lab tests, so not sure if it's a good idea for me to increase my sodium intake. I take magnesium but still sodium is higher than normal.

ukxmrv

It is my understanding that over time increased output of cortisol (stressors like pain, being sick, emotions e.g. loneliness, PTSD etc) might contribute to many of these problems related to orthostatic intolerance (blood pressure regulation, vasodilation), low blood sugar issues (waking up 04 with heartbeat and high pulse), thyroid down regulation (switch to reverse T3 over T3 production), anxiety (fight & flight, sympathic nervous system activation), lower back pain/tension/anxiety, adrenal hormone depletion (cortisol grabs most of the pregnenolone and less goes to DHEA, dopamin, testosteron etc, hence rendering you with increased risk of tissue damage, depression, low libido aso).

Relora, tyrosine, theanine, vit C, phosphatidyl serine, GABA, pregnenolone, adaptogens - might contribute to balancing the adrenals and reducing cortisol - as will any lifestyle interventions that reduce stress (walks & movement, yoga, meditation, nature, connection, blue-blocking, sleep aso).

Any earlier trauma - childhood, losses, PTSD, injuries - might be sources of excess cortisol also (amygdala, the fear centre (?)).

PS! I used ZRT labs to measure adrenal hormones. Will also try to have my DHEA and cortisol tested during the course of one day (spit test, 4 times).

The high cortisol theory doesn't work with CFS and ME as many of us have low cortisol. I've had my levels tested by bloods and saliva and cortisol is consistently low.

Diwi9

Administrator
I have been reading about this but my Blood plasma sodium levels show higher than normal on the lab tests, so not sure if it's a good idea for me to increase my sodium intake. I take magnesium but still sodium is higher than normal.
That's interesting, I supplement and still come in low-normal for sodium. Is it possible to find a potassium salt as a substitute? I realize that potassium can be a problem for some people too...

That's interesting, I supplement and still come in low-normal for sodium. Is it possible to find a potassium salt as a substitute? I realize that potassium can be a problem for some people too...
Yes, there are special salts containing potassium along with sodium. For example the pan salt from Finnland.

Mij

I use "No Salt". Found it at the grocery store.

I mix it with sea salt.

Seven7

Seven
I have heard the natural midodrine: butchers broom.
I do well on lechitin which I read do god for POTs.

sb4

Things that significantly helped me:
-Mirtazapine
-Thiamine
-Helminthic Therapy / TUDCA

Lots of smaller things as well that I forget (mg, etc).

Thing is, I think that POTS type/symptoms vary significantly between people and treatment needs to be cated to this.