• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High dose ALA seems to help my HPA-axis related blood sugar issue

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Biotin was started/increased just before my weird crash last year from which I still haven't recovered, but it could just be a coincidence.

I have now also stopped alpha lipoic acid as that appears to have adverse effects on some people. I was taking it combined with acetyl-l-carnitine for several years.

I'm taking acetyl-l-carnitine on its own now - so far so good, but haven't been doing it for long, and I am acutely aware of the different effects of various things on men and women.

ljimbo423

I'm taking 600mg, 3 times a day with a meal.

Another thing that ALA does is to boost glutathione, which many people with cfs are low in. The increase in glutathione can cause significant detox symptoms in some people.

If you have been taking that dose for more than a few days though, you probably won't have any problems with the detox symptoms. I take 475mg ALA every day.

Jim

Isaiah 58:11

I'm taking acetyl-l-carnitine on its own now - so far so good, but haven't been doing it for long, and I am acutely aware of the different effects of various things on men and women.

To be fair, I haven't had lab work done specifically as before and after, but taking actual-l carnitine seems to be the *only* way to get my body processing fats and seems (symptomatically) to help with insulin and glucose regulation. Plus the energy boost is incredible!

I do actually have a demonstrable carnitine deficiency though (my acyl ratio is screwy) and am supposed to take 2 grams per day. I stopped for a while because carnitine increases testosterone receptors and I didn't want to make my hormonal issues worse, but then I ended up on Metformin which was so harmful to my mitochondria that I had ALS-type symptoms. Quitting the Metformin and restarting the carnitine has been one of the best things I have ever done for myself; I feel so much better.

I wonder if carnitine is this awesome for everyone... Am I the only one with a demonstrable deficiency or is that "normal"? Have you had any tests done to check your levels?

Edited to add: Since you have taken both carnitine and ALA, I will mention that ALA made me feel terrible (sulfur issues). I took it on doctor's orders but stopped after cutting my foot and getting tetanus vaccine and the other that comes with it (can't remember). Those basically killed what was left of my memory and intelligence at that point. After learning ALA was a chelator I figured I had just directly moved all the mercury from the injections into my brain and quit immediately. I want to try Cutler's protocol, but haven't been able to purchase the book. I did notice a cognitive benefit from Nutramedix's Sealantro which shouldn't be possible based on my understanding of Cutler. Maybe done Cutler's way I would see a benefit from ALA?

Last edited:

ebethc

ALA seems to have a huge affect on being able to eat without crashing / being fatigued from it. It seems the ALA is forcing the cells to use glucose properly.

I'm taking 600mg, 3 times a day with a meal.

I've been taking ALA lately and it's really been great for me.... I could have sworn that i tried it a few years ago and got nothing from it, which just goes to show that timing if everything... Nothing helps until I've had a lot of rest!

I've been doing 300mg 3-4x per day, and I'd like to bump it up to 1500 - 2400 mg per day.. I just found this study of high dose ALA in MS patients ..This is interesting (high dose ALA in MS patients) b/c it notes changes in MMP-9, which is one of the tests recommended by Shoemaker! I don't know what it means, but I found it very interesting.. The dosages tested were 600 mg, 1200 mg and 2400 mg per day... The higher doses got results.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15794388

drob31

I've been taking ALA lately and it's really been great for me.... I could have sworn that i tried it a few years ago and got nothing from it, which just goes to show that timing if everything... Nothing helps until I've had a lot of rest!

I've been doing 300mg 3-4x per day, and I'd like to bump it up to 1500 - 2400 mg per day.. I just found this study of high dose ALA in MS patients ..This is interesting (high dose ALA in MS patients) b/c it notes changes in MMP-9, which is one of the tests recommended by Shoemaker! I don't know what it means, but I found it very interesting.. The dosages tested were 600 mg, 1200 mg and 2400 mg per day... The higher doses got results.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15794388

MMP-9 has to do with "leaky blood brain barrier."

From my last blood test:

MMP-9 (Matrix metalloprot.-9)

Methylmalonic Acid, Serum:
Reference Range: 0-378 nmol/L

NORMAL

I am taking about 2400 mg a day now, about 600 mg with each meal. I have no idea what mechanism is at work, however. It seemed like for a day or so, I was getting bad gas with the ALA. Now, even at the same dose, it seems to be going away.

Killing bad gut microbes?

drob31

oh, I wouldn't know... but whenever I see a huge reference range (this isn't the first time by any means) I think 'this isn't something that doctors know too much about if they're giving that much latitude' ...I'll probably still get that test myself when I have the money, but if it's high but still within range... is that something to pay attention to? I don't know... it always makes me wonder.

Yeah I'm sure it's set up to benefit insurance companies somehow.

In any case my health insurance is pretty sub par, so what I do is pay an "integrative doctor" out of pocket, then tell him what lab tests I want, and then run the labs through insurance, because a doctor covered under insurance would never do it. Labcorp said my last batch of labs cost 7 grand, and I think they charged me like 12 dollars.

drob31

wow! at first it seems like such a good deal for the patient, then I always wonder how they get away w over-charging so much to begin with... I had $30k of sinus surgeries a couple of year ago, and only paid a co-pay... Ea time they used very specialized, single-use instruments that are discarded after the surgery. that's what drove the high price... My doctor saves the instruments and will sterilize and re-use for the same patient. (She gave me the instruments to keep and bring back if I want a 3rd and final surgery - so there's no doubt that the re-used instruments have only been up my own nose :)) She does what she can to help patients financially.. However, blood tests are different.. Why are they still so expensive?? Sorry that Theranos crashed and burned b/c the whole space needs to be disrupted..

Yeah it's probably like a few hundred dollars worth of tests, realistically. Maybe @Hip would know why it's so expensive.

Hip

Maybe @Hip would know why it's so expensive.

I don't know how lab tests are priced, or whether they are a good value for money or not. Drug prices in the US are a bit higher than they are in Europe, so possibly the same markup might apply to lab tests.

drob31

ALA seems to be effective for helping me utilize carbs.

also there is some synergy with baking soda, but I have no idea what.