• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Embargo broken: Bristol University Professor to discuss trial of quack cfs tx

Kati

Patient in training
Embargo broken: Bristol University Professor to discuss trial of quack chronic fatigue syndrome treatment
By James Coyne

Seemingly Science Media center is holding a press conference hosting Crawley to talk about her trial.
https://www.coyneoftherealm.com/blo...l-of-quack-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-treatment

Exerpt:

This blog post provides an alternative press briefing to compare and contrast with what was provided by the Science Media Centre for a press conference on Wednesday September 20, 2017.

The press release attached at the bottom of the post announces the publication of results of highly controversial trial that many would argue should never have occurred.
The trial exposed children to an untested treatment with a quack explanation delivered by unqualified persons
. Lots of money was earned from the trial by the promoters of the quack treatment beyond the boost in credibility for their quack treatment.

More at the link above.

I can't find this information at first glance but maybe I just missed it because I'm a bit foggy:
How many hours/sessions of treatment does the £620 buy?
How much is that compared to 'regular' therapy?

Last edited:

Kati

Patient in training
I can't find this information at first glance but maybe I just missed it is because I'm a bit foggy:
How many hours/sessions of treatment does the £620 buy?
How much is that compared to 'regular' therapy?
LIghtning process is usually (to the best of my knowledge) taught over a week end. There might be follow-up sessions to 'reinforce' things afterwards (to make sure they never say they're feeling sick again)

user9876

Crawley thinks she can, real scientists don't.

I suspect she is also measuring school attendance. I can't remember the protocol but I think a bit was dropped at some point. Even school attendance can be misleading because it can be a mixture of forcing a child to do things they are not up to and sitting in a class when unwell (and not learning) and activity switching.

anni66

mum to ME daughter
I suspect she is also measuring school attendance. I can't remember the protocol but I think a bit was dropped at some point. Even school attendance can be misleading because it can be a mixture of forcing a child to do things they are not up to and sitting in a class when unwell (and not learning) and activity switching.
School attendance feeds into other narratives pursued by EC. Parents have horrendous experiences re attendance being used as a marker for social services intervention. There is no underlyi g belief that children have ME and this tends to underpin the whole approach

A.B.

I haven't read James Coyne's article yet, but I have a horrible suspicion that Crawley wouldn't be doing a press conference if the 'research' proved LP is dangerous crap.

Does anyone know anything about the results of the trial?

Dear @trishrhymes the essence of LP is create the biggest possible placebo effect and reporting bias that one can imagine. It's designed from the ground up to do exactly that. They shouldn't have any problems reporting some positive results at some point during or after the treatment.

trishrhymes

Dear @trishrhymes the essence of LP is create the biggest possible placebo effect and reporting bias that one can imagine. It's designed from the ground up to do exactly that. They shouldn't have any problems reporting some positive results at some point during or after the treatment.

I know. That was my point. I was being sarcastic. She wouldn't be doing a press release if she hadn't found a way to 'prove' LP works. Heaven help us all.

Brainwash kids into thinking they have to say they feel better or they won't get better. Then ask them if they feel better. Bingo. A successful trial.