• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking for location in British Columbia (Canada) to do mold avoidance test

concepcion

We live in Vancouver, BC, and have had our house tested for mold by two different and very reputable tests (local lab and Mycometrics in the States). Both times, the house was fine. However, my 26 year-old daughter, who has been severely ill with ME since 2009, and symptomatic since some time after moving into our house (2004), is riddled with mold, according to Mycotoxin Panel Report from RealTime Laboratories.

As she is doing a little better, we're thinking of heading somewhere dry to see if this helps. Seeing how it helped Jen Brea and Julie Rehmeyer, we thought we'd try it out for a couple of weeks. However, she's still severe, needs to be lying down all the time. Can anyone recommend:
  1. a relatively mold free location which is driving distance from Vancouver, BC?
  2. the kind of "housing" we should use - i.e. campervan? tent? (that could be very tiring and disastrous if the new location doesn't help) House? - Jen Brea had what looks like a small, new airstream.
Have been to http://paradigmchange.me/rate-locations/ - but nothing on Canada.

Thanks!

Hi, we spoke I believe in a FB group. There is a BnB in Nanaimo that is definitely good. One in Bellingham that is good. One that was good in North Van a couple years ago but it's hard to know now. Because there are a few of us who are extremely sensitive who have vetted bnbs I would try that. Of course if your daugther is well enough for a tent that is also a good option I would just get out of Vancouver, North of North Van or Okanagan. I live on Vancouver Island and we also have a good spot to camp here. It's so difficult to find a mould free low toxin trailer that I would not attempt that.

TigerLilea

@concepcion Are you sure that your daughter actually has a mould issue? I would get a second opinion first of all and from a reputable source. Do any of the Vancouver hospitals do mould testing? Could your daughter stay with a family member or friend for a couple of weeks to see if her symptoms clear up?

The cheapest way to test for mould is not an ERMI or any other house test, nor a urine test or even the Shoemaker panel (which can be done in Alberta) but to spend that money on a vetted house or trailer + location and do a sabbatical. In the 100s of people I know with CFS who have tried a mould sabbatical I only know one with almost no response (and he just picked a random hotel and brought his stuff with him which is not actually a mould sabbatical) and I know one person who can chug CSM with no response. People who are really high functioning CFS may or may not have a mould problem but almost anyone really sick does in my experience. This is also confirmed by Lisa P @slayadragon of Paradigm Change who visited many people sick and well and found an undeniable mould connection. Many others like me who can pick up mould on people and in houses by visiting them have found that people with CFS are in mould and those recovered from CFS are not whether it was intentional or luck. Lisa has probably watched 1000s (?) now try avoidance...

Rlman

The cheapest way to test for mould is not an ERMI or any other house test, nor a urine test or even the Shoemaker panel (which can be done in Alberta) but to spend that money on a vetted house or trailer + location and do a sabbatical. In the 100s of people I know with CFS who have tried a mould sabbatical I only know one with almost no response (and he just picked a random hotel and brought his stuff with him which is not actually a mould sabbatical) and I know one person who can chug CSM with no response. People who are really high functioning CFS may or may not have a mould problem but almost anyone really sick does in my experience. This is also confirmed by Lisa P

would chugging CSM with no response be a clear sign that mold is not a cause of the CFS one is dealing with?

frozenborderline

would chugging CSM with no response be a clear sign that mold is not a cause of the CFS one is dealing with?
No, binders aren’t supposed to work if you’re not out of mold. Plus, even if you are, they don’t always work for everyone