• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Funny short video about ME by Iannucci Armando

Hajnalka

Disclaimer: If you're religious, this video might offend you. It's about Jesus and ME.

I found this video a few days ago (listed on MEpedia) and it's so funny, it made me cry tears from laughter (what rarely happens these days). I think it's one of those videos that even gets funnier the more often you watch it (it's only 1:30 min.) and look at the mimic of our protagonist. How he's so hopeful and happy in the beginning and later dies a little inside when they're told to spread the word.

It's old (16 years?) but I haven't heard of it before and it never came up in my countless google searches. Looked for it on PR and @Esther12 recommended it a few years ago, but it's buried in an old and long thread so I thought it deserves some new attention. I post it on the advocacy thread (and translated it into German) because I think funny videos are advocacy tools, too.

I don't know Iannucci Armando and the first time I watched it, I actually wasn't quite sure if the video might be making fun of pwme. But then I watched it again and checked how the pwme is presented - he's polite, factual, has dark rings under his eyes, is happy for the others, is the only one humbly folding his hands, doesn't "jump the queue" like others - he's clearly the good guy here. :)

Hope it brings you some laughter, too!

Last edited:

Hajnalka

One question - when I made the translation, I didn't know what to make of "reception" (only know the ones in a hotel). At first I thought it would be a waiting room at a doctor's office (with a reception). But then I changed my translation to "office" because it rather seems like they're at work (all wearing suits, not everybody is ill...). Do you know what reception means here?

Quilp

Am I the only one feeling a little uneasy about this video ?

''Yeah, well we all get a little bit tired''

I enjoy a chuckle more than most, but this felt intensely uncomfortable to me. It bothers me that this will reinforce the notion that ME is about tiredness. And those that haven't heard about ME will take some persuading that this is a life threatening illness with devastating consequences.

Perhaps were this illness understood to the extent that the Wessely narrative be redundant, my musings might me different.

How would we all feel if other comedians did the same, and told jokes about us being tired, sleepy, lazy, recluse, complaining........

Make fun of me all they want, but at least get the facts right, no ?

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
One question - when I made the translation, I didn't know what to make of "reception" (only know the ones in a hotel). At first I thought it would be a waiting room at a doctor's office (with a reception). But then I changed my translation to "office" because it rather seems like they're at work (all wearing suits, not everybody is ill...). Do you know what reception means here?
Empfangsbereich? Even in an office, visitors have to report somewhere, and this looks like the place.

''Yeah, well we all get a little bit tired'
Sorry but there is no need or reason to feel uneasy.

The whole point of the video is that line because it's so ridiculous.

If someone watches that video and thinks ME is just tiredness they won't even get the joke, in fact the joke is on them.
How would we all feel if other comedians did the same, and told jokes about us being tired, sleepy, lazy, recluse, complaining........

Nobody is making jokes about us here, they are mocking anyone who believes ME is tiredness.

Hajnalka

Empfangsbereich? Even in an office, visitors have to report somewhere, and this looks like the place.
Thanks! Good idea, but wrote "Büro" because the cuts are so fast that "Empfangsbereich" doesn't really fit (and was afraid "Empfang" would sound like the festivity). But it's good to know that they're supposed to be in an office setting (vs a doctors office like I thought at first). Makes our ME patient even look more heroic that he still drags himself to work. :)

''Yeah, well we all get a little bit tired''

I enjoy a chuckle more than most, but this felt intensely uncomfortable to me. It bothers me that this will reinforce the notion that ME is about tiredness. And those that haven't heard about ME will take some persuading that this is a life threatening illness with devastating consequences.

Perhaps were this illness understood to the extent that the Wessely narrative be redundant, my musings might me different.

At first I was going to reply with "Oh for god's sake!" But on a 2nd take I will give a more considered reply. To anyone with ME or who knows anyone with ME, it comes across (apparently) clearly as a sardonic swipe at the misunderstanding and mistreatment of PwME. But on the other hand, if I were someone who believes all the guff about PwME and none of the truth, this could just as easily come across as lampooning PwME, and reinforcing all lies (but which they believe to be the truth). If a group of disbelievers watched this down the pub one night, they would probably all roll around laughing at how if anyone knows the truth jesus would. It's actually a very ambiguous bit of humour. Do we know which meaning is really intended?

Thanks! Good idea, but wrote "Büro" because the cuts are so fast that "Empfangsbereich" doesn't really fit (and was afraid "Empfang" would sound like the festivity). But it's good to know that they're supposed to be in an office setting (vs a doctors office like I thought at first). Makes our ME patient even look more heroic that he still drags himself to work. :)
I think Reception is right. In most larger companies etc. visitors are told to report to Reception when they arrive.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
This is very similar to a German joke where jesus walks into a pub, cures 2 blokes as in the video, then walks up to a third bloke who says "get away, I've got a six-week sick note!"

I once told this joke in the evening of one of my English courses to a dinner table full of union representatives from a manufacturing company. It was met with complete silence and a few frowns. In the distance, I think I heard a cricket.

Hajnalka

Do we know which meaning is really intended?
I'm sure that the intended meaning is to point out the mistreatment and prejudices against ME.

The person with ME is still going to work (not sitting at an doctor's office, malingering and collecting disability money - like me I must add :)), he's the most polite ("Lord Jesus", the others use "Jesus" or no salutation) and most factual (the others use words like "terrible" to exaggerate), has dark rings under his eyes (so really looking unwell), is happy for the others, is the only one humbly folding his hands, doesn't "jump the queue" like others. He's portrayed as the nicest guy of them and not at all whiney. He doesn't protest or act out when he is rejected but is admirable self-disciplined and calm.

And the fact that ME is contrasted with a hangover and Jesus is extremely empathetic with that is another clue for me. And that the woman says her hands get worse "with stress". And not being able to play rugby. These examples make it somehow clear to me but I find it hard to put into English words at the moment.

I believe if it was intended to mock ME patients he would have jumped the queue (like the rugby guy who starts talking before he's in the picture), he would have exaggerated ("terrible"), been whiney or nervous. And would have been contrasted with people with cancer and life-threatening diseases.

I'm quite sure that the intended meaning is to point out the mistreatment and prejudices against ME.

The person with ME is still going to work (not sitting at an doctor's office, malingering and collecting disability money - like me I must add :)), he's the most polite ("Lord Jesus", the others use "Jesus" or no salutation) and most factual (the others use words like "terrible" to exaggerate), has dark rings under his eyes (so really looking unwell), is happy for the others, is the only one humbly folding his hands, doesn't "jump the queue" like others. He's portrayed as the nicest guy of them and not at all whiney. He doesn't protest or act out when he is rejected but is admirable self-disciplined and calm.

And the fact that ME is contrasted with a hangover and Jesus is extremely empathetic with that is another clue for me. And that the woman says her hands get worse "with stress". And not being able to play rugby. These examples make it somehow clear but I find it hard to put into English words at the moment.

I believe if it was intended to mock ME patients he would have jumped the queue (like the rugby guy who starts talking before he's in the picture), he would have exaggerated ("terrible"), been whiney or nervous. ANd I believe he would have been contrasted with people with cancer and life-threatening diseases.
Probably true. But I still think those subtleties would be completely lost on the drinkers in my example.