• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Perfume

Mij

@Daffodil

Have you heard of Saje? It's a Canadian store. It's Avedaish but not toxic. My sister bought one scent (a roll on) and I had no problem with it and I basically react to everything.

http://www.saje.com/ca/saje-story.html

We combine pure essential oils with all-natural base ingredients to create 100% all-natural products that are free of parabens, SLS, SLES, PEGS, glycols, petrochemicals, synthetic colours and synthetic fragrances. Look closely at each product label and you will see that we list all the ingredients on the labels. These ingredients are clean and natural; we have nothing to hide.

Daffodil

@Mij i had not heard of that company before....it looks like decadent stuff! thanks for letting me know about it.

I found something called Aromatica and also Just the Goods, which are also all natural...Just The Goods looks like it's Canadian too.

I have also been looking up perfume recipes...it actually looks like this might be a lot of fun to make myself...though I'd have to buy a few more ingredients:) Would make great gifts too and cheap to make!

xoxo

Daffodil

I have a sister who is developmentally disabled...she loves using perfume and puts too much on. I am always worried about the chemicals she inhales but she never listens when we tell her not to use it. It just occured to me that I can make her natural perfumes!!!!

lol this could be my new hobby..just have to find a cheap place to buy the ingredients!

i am all excited now haha. i just hope i dont react to the smells

IThinkImTurningJapanese

lol this could be my new hobby..just have to find a cheap place to buy the ingredients!

I couldn't ask the ladies in my life to avoid petrochemical perfumes for me, without doing something to make it easier for them.

So I learned just what you're doing. It is both fun and very interesting, the history of perfume, that is.

How to Make Perfume with Essential Oils

I have a sister who is developmentally disabled...she loves using perfume and puts too much on. I am always worried about the chemicals she inhales but she never listens when we tell her not to use it. It just occured to me that I can make her natural perfumes!!!!
An easy way to experiment with combinations of oils can be to use a diffuser. Then you can see which smells dominate, which ones last longest, how many drops are needed relative to other oils, and which oils smell good together.

One of my favorites is orange vanilla. The vanilla isn't as strong the orange, but it lasts much longer.

A fun fact is that floral scents are more attractive to women, and food scents to men. So guys trying to pick up chicks should smell like roses, while the ladies on the prowl should try to smell like cookies :D Though there is some cross over, in floral-scented oils used commonly in foods.

Daffodil

@Valentijn you seem to know about this stuff...do you use essential oils a lot?

I did purchase a diffuser once but hardly smelled it so returned it.

orange vanilla sounds great. i heard jasmine and ylang is ylang is great, too.

i see you need 3 layers of scents to make this....

xox

@Valentijn you seem to know about this stuff...do you use essential oils a lot?
I used to make candles, and scented those a bit, as well as bath salts. But mostly I play with my diffuser. I used to add a bit of oil directly to my baths, but I'd get a reaction wherever the oil droplets touched my skin :p

I did purchase a diffuser once but hardly smelled it so returned it.
Currently I have a hippy volcano, which generates a pretty good plume of mist. But it still smells strongest if it's within a couple feet of me when I'm using it. Mine turns pretty colors, or can be set to stop on a certain color, or no color at all:
9293_HI-RES_1.jpg

i heard jasmine and ylang is ylang is great, too.
I lost a few of my oils when moving, since they permanently solidified when sitting in a cold shed for a month or two :rolleyes: But from what I recall, I think I'd find jasmine and ylang ylang to be a bit too intense in the rich floral aspect.

i see you need 3 layers of scents to make this....
Not really ... you can do less or more :p Currently I only have 3 nice smelling oils left, so I'm trying rosewood + orange. Rosewood is nice in having a mild rose smell combined with a piney tree smell. Some oils already have more than one tone to them, so it's not necessary to mix them as much.

@Daffodil - Here's a more scent-focused guide:
https://www.essentialoilhaven.com/blending-essential-oils/ I'd ignore the first list and pick 1-3 oils from each category on the other lists. Though it also comes down to personal preference.

There's a ton of lists online of do-it-yourself blends, which can be good starting points. It can be easiest to search in Google Images, since most sites are focused on aromatherapy or selling blends. I stay away from remedy-based or aromatherapy blends (eg, for sleeping, calming, etc), since they tend to smell too medicinal and certainly aren't on focused on just producing what smells best.

There's a lot of lists of blends at https://pinterest.com/explore/diffuser-blends

@Valentijn why would they permanently solidify? couldnt they melt to liquid again?
I think the oil and liquid may have separated or something. But it basically turned to powder. I lost vanilla, jasmine, and rose that way. The jasmine and rose were low concentrations (around 3% I think) so at least they weren't expensive. But that also might be why they were ruined.

Daffodil

@Valentijn i see...

well i have been looking into ordering some jojoba oil and some essential oils to get started but this is starting to look too expensive. 1 oz of the perfume will last maybe 2 months it says.....and 4 oz jojoba oil is like $18 here. Along with all the essential oils I would have to buy....and they come in tiny tiny bottles too......I dont know how people say they make it so cheaply...unless they are buying huge amounts in bulk.

?

maybe making solid perfumes with beeswax is cheaper...i dont know

well i have been looking into ordering some jojoba oil and some essential oils to get started but this is starting to look too expensive.
It depends on the oil - some are very cheap, like vanilla, orange, etc. Pure rose oil is obscenely expensive, and jasmine too I think. But they should last for years, since very little is used at once.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

The jasmine and rose were low concentrations (around 3% I think) so at least they weren't expensive. But that also might be why they were ruined.

Rose was the first to go bad for me, and what a shame, it is so versatile.

....I dont know how people say they make it so cheaply

It's not cheap, @Valentijn suggestion for getting started won't be too bad though.

I don't know much about aromatherapy, but when you try these it is hard to miss that they have beneficial effects on your health. ;)

Mij

I splurged and bought Bulgarian rose otto several years ago and it still smells heavenly. But when I add it to a carrier oil the scent doesn't last for very long, less than 1/2 hour. So, I bought a terracotta necklace (very inexpensive) and add 2 drops and it lasts much longer because natural clay readily absorbs the oils.

I love the aroma of rose.

Daffodil

@IThinkImTurningJapanese hahaah. i have chickened out of spending too much cuz i splurged on way too much this month. Since i already have the vodka, lemon and lavender, i am just going to get Vanilla essential oil and make a simple perfume recipe I found online.

Only problem is, the tiny bottles I found in my closet have neither a sprayer or roll-on thingie..just an open mouth...and I dont want to buy bottles..so I might just put it in there and hope the people I give it to will use their fingers or something. i have a get together coming up where I had to come up with a few little gifts so i will give it away there. And use it myself, too. If i love it then maybe I will go a little further down the rabbit hole lol

Buying all this stuff readymade from etsy would be best but the shipping to canada is always more than the product is worth!

@Mij yes i was looking at those terracotta necklaces..what a great idea.

thanks for all the suggestions, guys! this is actually good because i hate perfume smells but i love very subtle hints of scents on people (especially men LOL) and i think this stuff is very subtle...

xo

Daffodil

well this perfume making business is just a rip off! the terra cotta necklaces are expensive and I cant find absolute vanilla oil for less than like $90! it says vanilla is the second most expensive one

I have now quickly become frustrated and am in a bad mood hahah

apparently these 2 oils I have here (lemon and lavender) are very good quality..i must have splurged on them yrs ago

I can maybe add patchouli and keep bugs away from me hahah