• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Mindbody Syndrome (TMS) forum talk about Jen Brea Tedtalk

Never heard of this as an actual illness before(?) TMS ?

"Viewed a Ted Talk where the presenter, Jennifer Brea, spoke of her condition called, CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, or Myalgic encephalomyelitis. Very moving, a good speaker, some of the audience was in tears. She presented her illness, from onset to current day. It struck me as something that is so like the classic TMS suggested by Sarno and others following, but she clearly did not believe that this is a creation of her brain but has some other means of physical creation, that has yet to be determined."

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/cfs-e-g-myalgic-encephalomyelitis.16973/

A.B.

They have some hardcore psychobabble going on:

Im new to TMS but it has been in my life for a long time in many different ways. I tried to talk to a friend about it and he discouraged me from going down this path as he considers it legitmate due to actual muscle knots i have in my shoulders. Despite explaining the physical process he didnt seem convinced and even my sister said ' you cant get rid of all your pain with your mind', which communicates to be the big misconception our society has with the nature of pain and maladies we experience in our bodies. We are not tricking ourselves or aquiring Zen like power, we are recognising the true cause of the pain. Anyway i did feel silly talking to friends and family about TMS and it probably isnt helping my recovery in programming my mind. Like Sarnos says only a few accept their symptoms as psychosomatic. Maybe society is more comfortable treating a physical malady then to face their emotional issues. Anyone else experience lack of support or resistance from others? Id love to share Sarno books with family who are suffering but perhaps theyd be offended! But when you find out this stuff i guess its normal to wanna share it!

Freud was an evil genius is all I can say.

bombsh3ll

I was on top of the world when I suddenly came down with ME. Everything in my life was going well and I had no real problems. I don't believe I did anything in my mind either consciously or subconsciously to cause this, nor that I can mentally will it away either. I know this type of approach appeals to some people but it skates pretty close to implying people remain unwell because they have the wrong mental attitude.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Never heard of this as an actual illness before(?) TMS ?
TMS is Tension Myositis Syndrome, something that Dr. John Sarno made up in the 1970's.
http://www.tmswiki.org/w/index.php?page=The_Tension_Myositis_Syndrome_Wiki
http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/An_Introduction_to_Tension_Myositis_Syndrome_(TMS)
Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS), also known as Tension Myoneural Syndrome, is a condition originally described by John E. Sarno, MD, a retired professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine at New York University School of Medicine, and attending physician at the Howard A. Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine at New York University Medical Center. TMS is a condition that causes real physical symptoms, such as chronic pain, gastrointenstinal issues, and fibromyalgia, that are not due to pathological or structural abnormalities and are not explained by diagnostic tests. In TMS, pain symptoms are caused by mild oxygen deprivation via the autonomic nervous system, as a result of repressed emotions and psycho-social stress.

Large Donner

Jennifer Brea? Isnt she something to do with a film on ME and Unrest? I didnt know she was coming form a psychobabble angle am I missing something?

Hajnalka

Jennifer Brea? Isnt she something to do with a film on ME and Unrest? I didnt know she was coming form a psychobabble angle am I missing something?
Jennifer Brea co-founded MEAction (and co-created MEpedia and Millions Missing), made a TED Talk and the movie Unrest (both about ME). She's fighting for biomedical research and more funding.

Her TED Talk was very successful (viewed over 1.3 million times I last checked and translated into 26 languages) and @slysaint found people in a psychobabbler forum talking about the TED Talk and that they think all of our ME symptoms fit some invented psychobabble illness called TMS. And that Jen and ME patients in general are delusional and don't want to face that they are mentally ill. So just the usual stuff. :) Apparently they didn't really listen and understand the TED Talk at all because it's about the problems and dangerous consequences of psychogenic explanations for organic diseases.

HowToEscape?

Jennifer Brea co-founded MEAction (and co-created MEpedia and Millions Missing), made a TED Talk and the movie Unrest (both about ME). She's fighting for biomedical research and more funding.

Her TED Talk was very successful (viewed over 1.3 million times I last checked and translated into 26 languages) and @slysaint found people in a psychobabbler forum talking about the TED Talk and that they think all of our ME symptoms fit some invented psychobabble illness called TMS. And that Jen and ME patients in general are delusional and don't want to face that they are mentally ill. So just the usual stuff. :) Apparently they didn't really listen and understand the TED Talk at all because it's about the problems and dangerous consequences of psychogenic explanations for organic diseases.

Internet chatter is often gossip plus anonymity, so it often brings out a certain type of person.
That is the same sort who will chirp that a victim of crime "shouldn't have been out jogging in a park", someone who gets sick "should have had a healthy lifetsyle" (even if the illness had zero lifestyle component), etc, etc. The same types scream blue at the slightest inconvenience to themselves. They might like to say "you have defective genes and need to be cleansed from society" but are afraid of stating that openly.

Last edited:

Large Donner

Thanks for explaining that.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Id love to share Sarno books with family who are suffering but perhaps theyd be offended!
Ya think! :bang-head:

Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS), also known as Tension Myoneural Syndrome, is a condition originally described by John E. Sarno, MD, ... TMS is a condition that causes real physical symptoms, such as chronic pain, gastrointenstinal issues, and fibromyalgia, that are not due to pathological or structural abnormalities and are not explained by diagnostic tests.
It is also known as DDKWWS (Doctor Doesn't Know What's Wrong Syndrome) and DDGADS (Doctor Doesn't Give A Damn Syndrome).