• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sasa Milosevic, MD -Chronic Fatigue Syndrome And Exercise

slysaint

"
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome And Exercise: Benefits And Precautions

The severity of CFS may vary and the decision to include exercise in its treatment should be made through a multidisciplinary medical approach. Doing anything on your own is not advised, as overexercising can worsen the symptoms of CFS."

"
Could Physical Activity Be Of Any Help For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
A carefully guided intervention in the form of a graded exercise program is considered safe for patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, but only if it is planned and monitored by a psychotherapist and physical therapist. According to the latest results from a review conducted by an international team of researchers and published every year in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews journal:

“Patients with CFS may generally benefit and feel less fatigued following exercise therapy, and no evidence suggests that exercise therapy may worsen outcomes” [4]."

full article here http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-and-exercise-benefits-and-precautions

no comments yet.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
A carefully guided intervention in the form of a graded exercise program is considered safe for patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, but only if it is planned and monitored by a psychotherapist and physical therapist.

Exactly what does the psychotherapist do to ensure safety? :p

To reassure the physio ?
From the article:
The key is neither avoiding exercise altogether nor doing too much, more than the patient can comfortably handle. The key is rather to begin slowly and to gradually increase the length and intensity of the workout, and the entire process should be guided by the trained psychotherapist.

So psychotherapists have oversight on the length and intensity of the workout, leaving the physio completely out of the loop? Why bother having a physio on board then?

Oh wait, there's more:
Safety Precautions Of Exercise In Persons With CFS
Most people suffering from CFS can benefit from carefully planned, guided physical activity. Considering that the severity of CFS varies, both among different people and in the same person periodically, any decision about including exercise in the treatment of this disorder should always be made through a multidisciplinary medical approach. This includes your family doctor — who is familiar with your medical history — as well as a psychiatrist or psychotherapist who will assess the severity of your CFS symptoms. A physical therapist who will make a personalized exercise plan by taking into consideration the assessment reports from other medical professionals should also be involved in your care.

So a psychiatrist or psychotherapist will assess the severity, not the family doctor or physical therapist? And now we're back to the physio making a personalized exercise plan. So no psychotherapist involvement for exercise this time?

SteadyHealth published another article at the end of August titled "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome And Fear Of Exercise" which was later removed:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...y-palm-with-silver-and-i-will-cure-you.53898/
Quotes from that thread:
They've deleted most of the comments - certainly all of the ones which made scientific references. I used the contact form to strenuously object to the article, the removal of comments, and their employment of the author.
The link on the first page doesn't seem to work for me anymore. It didn't get removed in the last 5 minutes, did it?
I think it did :thumbsup:

It seems they didn't learn their lesson:mad::bang-head:

Last edited:

Valentijn

It seems they didn't learn their lesson:mad::bang-head:
It's pretty standard psychobabble now, with a little caution added. The previous one was ridiculously bad in every conceivable way. So still completely wrong, but a bit less stupid then last time ... for example, the 30% of Americans who don't exercise enough are no longer in danger of getting CFS as a result :rolleyes: