• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NIH awards nearly $100 million for Autism Centers of Excellence program

Kati

Patient in training
This is what NIH funding looks like:

NIH awards nearly $100 million for Autism Centers of Excellence program

The National Institutes of Health has awarded nine research grants totaling nearly $100 million over the next five years for the Autism Centers of Excellence (ACE), a program that supports large research projects aimed at understanding and developing interventions for autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The ACE program was created in 2007 from the consolidation of previous programs. Grants have been awarded every five years, and 2017 marks the third cycle of ACE grants.

More at this link.

HowToEscape?

I hope the grants help the ever so growing population impacted by ASD

Autism has been around forever. It was only recently that it's become widely known and also acceptable. The criteria for diagnosing autism have widened considerably, which is a somewhat complicated topic. There may be an increase in the number of artistic kids being born but the reason is that parents with such tendencies are now employable (engineering, software) and are able to meet and form families. There is no sudden epidemic of autism. There is much better recognition and early intervention.

If early diagnosis and research on effective treatments had been done for us, most of us would not now be sick.

me/cfs 27931

Worth remembering. Our funding isn't even remotely near that of comparable disorders.

JMT-1-102-g001.gif

http://www.oatext.com/Estimating-th...ates-and-its-relation-to-research-funding.php

Last edited:

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Autism is blessed by several things - the most important of which is effective advocacy. I don't know about 20 years ago a philanphropist devoted a good chunk of change to advocacy. They've got a very effective advocacy movement - and are important players now. Good for them.

Since Naviaux believes autism and ME/CFS are spectrum diseases; i.e. they're on the same spectrum of illness and have similar metabolomics findings, who knows - something they uncover in autism may apply in ME/CFS one day

Naviaux's small Suramin drug trial in autism went very well. Now he wants to give it a try in autism.

*GG*

Autism is blessed by several things - the most important of which is effective advocacy. I don't know about 20 years ago a philanphropist devoted a good chunk of change to advocacy. They've got a very effective advocacy movement - and are important players now. Good for them.

Since Naviaux believes autism and ME/CFS are spectrum diseases; i.e. they're on the same spectrum of illness and have similar metabolomics findings, who knows - something they uncover in autism may apply in ME/CFS one day

Naviaux's small Suramin drug trial in autism went very well. Now he wants to give it a try in autism.

And they have parents who love them dearly and will do practically anything to help their children, surely helps!

GG